Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Da'Rick Rogers has opportunity to help Colts' offense

With Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen out for the season, the Indianapolis Colts' lack of firepower was abundantly evident in Sunday's 38-8 blowout loss to the Rams.

The coaching staff moved to address that need for a playmaker on Monday, elevating enigmatic wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers from the practice squad.

Although Rogers is no sure bet to be active for Thursday's game versus the Titans, coach Chuck Pagano hinted Tuesday that the gifted rookie will given a chance to compete for a significant role down the stretch.

"You've got a talented football player," Pagano said, citing Rogers' size, speed and big-play ability. "Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he's earned it."

Although Rogers failed to endear himself to the Bills coaching staff before his late August release, Pagano noted that he's already picked up the Colts offense by arriving early and staying late since landing in Indianapolis two months ago.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been big in the "give him a chance over hogan" camp, but who knows -- no telling even if he does well there if he wouldve done anything here without the wakeup call of getting released.

or he could flop miserably, as even with the praise from coaches its taken quite some time to get elevated.

If Da'Rick Rogers goes on to become all world, I'll never forgive the cut. Not because he excelled with another team after being cut from Buffalo, but because he wasn't afforded much of an opportunity to fail. He was turning in big plays during training camp, but couldn't sniff the field in the preseason. Why? Marrone decided he wasn't even worth the roster spot to make it to final cutdowns. I'm wishing Da'Rick well, but not "too well" if you know what I mean.

ive been big in the "give him a chance over hogan" camp, but who knows -- no telling even if he does well there if he wouldve done anything here without the wakeup call of getting released.

or he could flop miserably, as even with the praise from coaches its taken quite some time to get elevated.

If Da'Rick Rogers goes on to become all world, I'll never forgive the cut. Not because he excelled with another team after being cut from Buffalo, but because he wasn't afforded much of an opportunity to fail. He was turning in big plays during training camp, but couldn't sniff the field in the preseason. Why? Marrone decided he wasn't even worth the roster spot to make it to final cutdowns. I'm wishing Da'Rick well, but not "too well" if you know what I mean.

We'll get a chance to see how he looks on Thursday Night Football this week against the Titans.

A sick and twisted part of me wants to see him tear it up if only to reinforce my own disbelief in the Bill's FO judgement. It's the same sick and twisted part of me that morbidly wishes to see Geno Smith throw the game winning TD to David Nelson. I think I'm just a bad person.

I have also been in the Da'Rick camp for a while. I thought that he should have made the team ahead of Hogan based on talent alone. For the handful of snaps he was worth a shot to see if he could live up to his talent. I feel stronger about it now than I did at the start of the year. When you have a rebuilding team you take chances on young talented players with high upside. You can find Chris Hogan's every year and anywhere. It is easy to find and too replace. It is much harder to get your hands on talents like Rogers. If he busts out all that you lost was Hogan.

I have also been in the Da'Rick camp for a while. I thought that he should have made the team ahead of Hogan based on talent alone. For the handful of snaps he was worth a shot to see if he could live up to his talent. I feel stronger about it now than I did at the start of the year. When you have a rebuilding team you take chances on young talented players with high upside. You can find Chris Hogan's every year and anywhere. It is easy to find and too replace. It is much harder to get your hands on talents like Rogers. If he busts out all that you lost was Hogan.

yup, hogan you could sign off the street in november just about any given year. i liked the hogan pickup at the time, you know, when we picked him up as a mid season FA and he was a "keep an eye on him" guy for me as someone that could contribute but once we started getting our hands on more talented guys he needed to be shuffled out of the deck.

im not going to lose sleep over it as we dont know much behind the scenes with Darick, but its a move that rubbed me the wrong way regardless of how Darick plays out.

Don't worry, guys, we have 7-11.

yup, hogan you could sign off the street in november just about any given year. i liked the hogan pickup at the time, you know, when we picked him up as a mid season FA and he was a "keep an eye on him" guy for me as someone that could contribute but once we started getting our hands on more talented guys he needed to be shuffled out of the deck.

im not going to lose sleep over it as we dont know much behind the scenes with Darick, but its a move that rubbed me the wrong way regardless of how Darick plays out.

It was an absurd decision by the coaching staff. We all know Hogan's upside; and we can find about 30 other receivers just like him. I have no idea why we wouldn't have kept Rogers or PS'd him for his upside alone.

It was an absurd decision by the coaching staff. We all know Hogan's upside; and we can find about 30 other receivers just like him. I have no idea why we wouldn't have kept Rogers or PS'd him for his upside alone.

Guessing that Reggie Wayne has been a big positive influence on Da'Rick WRT professionalism and dedication to his craft.

I think the point of cutting him was more to not let what they perceived as a poor work ethic/attitude infect the rest of the team. I suspect that they also believed he was plenty talented, but could not risk undermining the culture of effort, dedication, professionalism and team work that they are trying to build.

I remember all of the people that argued against us. I wonder where they stand now? I would love to hear a justification supporting Hogan over Da'Rick at this point.

I think the point of cutting him was more to not let what they perceived as a poor work ethic/attitude infect the rest of the team. I suspect that they also believed he was plenty talented, but could not risk undermining the culture of effort, dedication, professionalism and team work that they are trying to build.

What I said to that at the time is that an undrafted rookie that is your 6th WR is not influencing anyone in the locker room. The problem with some of these locker room cancers (ie Richie Incognito) is that they are in positions of power. He was never going to have that influence. They should have given him the year to see if he could live up to his talent.

in a young receiver group, and with young qbs, it could be 100% true. and like i said, without seeing how he handled himself day to day -- i dont like to get tooooo angry about a decision like this, but if your 6th WR is going to submarine your whole team, either hes a REALLY TERRIBLE person, or you have a really fragile team. not sure where they assessed it, but they made the call with more info than ill ever have.

A sick and twisted part of me wants to see him tear it up if only to reinforce my own disbelief in the Bill's FO judgement. It's the same sick and twisted part of me that morbidly wishes to see Geno Smith throw the game winning TD to David Nelson. I think I'm just a bad person.

You're just one of those special Bills fans on here that are more interested in being right than the Bills winning. There's a number of them on here. You won't lack for company.

Bingo.

I remember all of the people that argued against us. I wonder where they stand now? I would love to hear a justification supporting Hogan over Da'Rick at this point.

it surprised me at the time how quick the board turned on him. it seemed like there were some really promising early reports, and the guy has done some great stuff as a young player in the SEC. I know he has baggage, but.... wow did the first two weeks of camp flip a switch on what people thought or what?

in a young receiver group, and with young qbs, it could be 100% true. and like i said, without seeing how he handled himself day to day -- i dont like to get tooooo angry about a decision like this, but if your 6th WR is going to submarine your whole team, either hes a REALLY TERRIBLE person, or you have a really fragile team. not sure where they assessed it, but they made the call with more info than ill ever have.

Correct. This is the key point "more info than ill(WE) ever have." :thumbsup:

i echo this sentiment, and maybe rogers needed that kind of a wake up call to let it sink in that you have to put the work in.

He will succeed. And we could use his size in the red-zone. Not giving him the opportunity to at least fail during the regular season was ridiculous.

no, your not, you are just a long suffering Bills fan. Every Bills fan has this thought in their head.

You're just one of those special Bills fans on here that are more interested in being right than the Bills winning. There's a number of them on here. You won't lack for company.

No, he's a number of those Bill's fans that are annoyed by the past 13 years of incompetency. If Rogers goes on to become an All-Pro receiver, that does not mean he wants the Bills to loose. And the comment about Smith throwing a game winning TD to Nelson is more of a tongue in cheek remark of how cursed the Bills seem to be. I highly doubt anyone wants to see it happen, but I have a feeling it could.

What I said to that at the time is that an undrafted rookie that is your 6th WR is not influencing anyone in the locker room. The problem with some of these locker room cancers (ie Richie Incognito) is that they are in positions of power. He was never going to have that influence. They should have given him the year to see if he could live up to his talent.

Great points. If this guy is a "locker room cancer" this team has bigger issues. Like where are the actual leaders, coaches, etc. An UDRFA WR cannot be that type of guy. It was a bonehead move by a stubborn coach. The NFL is about winning, not teaching players lessons about hard work and dedication. If he is a slacker and performs well, who cares. A college-coach type of move that is unacceptable. (like the punt from the 36). Marrone needs to realize he's not coaching college kids anymore. It's 100000% about winning.

Edited by RyanC883

I don't remember reading any of that. He had one catch against the colts in preseason but other than that he was invisible