Need the Board's Feedback

ajzepp

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave a young child standing next to the car while you started it up?

• Yes, I would do it without apprehension.
    • Probably nothing would happen, but it's not worth taking a chance
    • Pretty damn stupid thing to do

Not sure why I can't get a poll fired up, but anyway...I was hoping I could get some feedback from the board based on a particular scenario.

*Never mind, looks like it's working...weird...

You live in a gated apartment complex where people tend to drive much faster than the 10mph limit. The apartment buildings are three stories high and each has approximately 12-15 units. Parking is on the street in front of the buildings and there are cars on both sides of the street. It is the early morning, approx 7:45am when many people are leaving for work and there is a lot of activity. You see someone with a very small child (able to stand on their feet, but otherwise very young) walk toward their car, open the door, and leave the child standing on the pavement in between their car and the one next to it, while they proceed to start the car for the purposes of letting it warm up before leaving for work.

If you could please consider the following possible responses to this scenario and choose your answer above, I'd really appreciate it. And as a side note, i love busting chops as much as anyone, but please refrain from humor, as I plan to show the results to someone who is not active on TBD. Any additional comments you'd like to make in addition to your poll selection are welcomed.

Thanks guys (and gals)

Edited by ajzepp

I have a two year old and I'm very conscious of stuff like this. I definitely would never get in the car and leave her standing in the road. Never. If I want to warm up the car, I leave the little one inside (the apartment) while I do it. Some people would say I'm overly cautious, but the way I look at it, there are enough dangers in the world--the things I can control I will.

Is the mom hot?

If this board is nothing else it is consistent....

But back to AJ's main point. It only takes a child seconds to go I a direction you would not want them to go. Being that young and small might also make it hard for other drivers to see him / her. The only responsible thing to do is to ensure the safety of the child first then attend to other tasks.

If you could please consider the following possible responses to this scenario and choose your answer above, I'd really appreciate it. And as a side note, i love busting chops as much as anyone, but please refrain from humor, as I plan to show the results to someone who is not active on TBD. Any additional comments you'd like to make in addition to your poll selection are welcomed.

Thanks guys (and gals)

Bolding a portion for those that evidently missed it.

I have two teenagers now and I remember we would never take any risks with our kids when they were young. To give an example, I had taken my 2 year old out of her car seat and proceeded to close the car door. I had not checked and just at the very last minute noticed that she had he had on the car and would have had her fingers hurt when the door closed. Since then I was always careful of closing doors. I realize it is not exactly relevant but just wanted to point out that you can never be too careful with very young children. Err on the side of caution - always and dont play the game of percentages.

My kids are 5 and 8 and I still make them hold my hand in a parking lot. You think people drive like idiots out on the roads and highways? That's nothing compared to the idiocy you see in parking lots.

I didn't stop until my son was 10 (this year). Even now, when we walk through a parking lot, I position myself between him and the row of cars that would be backing out.

Thanks guy for all the feedback...you've helped me make my point.

I noticed that two people chose "A". I know that one was in jest based on a PM I got, but if anyone who chose "A" would be willing to offer their feedback, I'd really be interested to hear it. Please feel free to contact me privately in PM if that's easier...I will maintain your confidence if you don't want to elaborate on the board for all to see.

Also, feel free to resume the humor...I knew you bastarges wouldn't be able to live up to that anyway lol

My kids are 5 and 8 and I still make them hold my hand in a parking lot. You think people drive like idiots out on the roads and highways? That's nothing compared to the idiocy you see in parking lots.

Like the person who starts the car and then immediately backs out without even bothering to turn around and look? I love those people.

Put an extra coat on the child and

put it in the car with you.... a cold

kid in the car beats a dead one the sidewalk.

Absolutely true. One point about coats and carseats though: It's considered unsafe to put a little one in a carseat with a puffy coat on. So there may be times when you really do want to warm up the car before loading the kid because you have to take the thick coat off when you snap them into the carseat.

If the person is going to leave the car in park, why not sit the child on the front seat while starting the car, or even just lean in to start it while holding the child's hand? Like others have said, it only takes a split second for something very bad to happen.

Do we like the child? j/k

Seriously, unless the car is filled with liquid helium or something, the kid's not going to die of hypothermia from sitting inside it for a few minutes. But s/he very well might perish from getting squished by an inattentive driver (or even by an attentive one out of sightline of the child.)

Pretty damn stupid thing to do. I was reading somewhere that over a 100 children die a year because of being backed over by a car... WOW... That's high. Really? 100+ I didn't confirm that.

I didn't stop until my son was 10 (this year). Even now, when we walk through a parking lot, I position myself between him and the row of cars that would be backing out.

Same with walking on the street. Hike against traffic, bike with. I always position myself to take the brunt. Agree w/the parking lot... Always position yourself where the driver can see you. Child are small and can't be seen as well as my fat azz!

Cold is only a state of mind... Well of course until your fingers fall off from frostbite. Tell the little ones to toughen up! Or @ least get heated leather seats... ;-)

Somebody should come up w/a heated car seat... 12v cig adapter... Oh wait, maybe that is not a good idea... Don't want to cook The Kidlets! :-O