Need the Board's Feedback

ajzepp

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave a young child standing next to the car while you started it up?

• Yes, I would do it without apprehension.
    • Probably nothing would happen, but it's not worth taking a chance
    • Pretty damn stupid thing to do

My kids are 5 and 8 and I still make them hold my hand in a parking lot. You think people drive like idiots out on the roads and highways? That's nothing compared to the idiocy you see in parking lots.

I have a five year old and a three year old and I do the same. I let my five year old stand on a _sidewalk_ when I am putting the three year old into his car seat but would never do the reverse.

I voted the middle option here not sure how small is small in terms of this kid but not worth the risk.

Absolutely true. One point about coats and carseats though: It's considered unsafe to put a little one in a carseat with a puffy coat on. So there may be times when you really do want to warm up the car before loading the kid because you have to take the thick coat off when you snap them into the carseat.

Where can you buy a carseat with a puffy coat on?

Standing in front or behind of the car is obviously insane, but I've never seen a car jump sideways upon starting, so standing next to the car -- like right next to the person starting it, is not dangerous itself. The problem with little kids being outside is, you get distracted and take your eyes of them for a second and who knows where they might go. That's an old cliche but the first time you look away for literally 5-10 seconds and then have absolutely no idea where your 2 or 3 year old is is a !@#$ing heart attack like you've never seen.

The only reason I can think of the person doing that is if they are going back into the condo while the car warms up and they don't want to spend the time buckling the kid in and don't want the kid standing unbuckled in the car.

Standing in front or behind of the car is obviously insane, but I've never seen a car jump sideways upon starting, so standing next to the car -- like right next to the person starting it, is not dangerous itself.

What about the car door

It only takes a child being a child once to create a disaster in this scenario. No!

This.

My kids are 5 and 8 and I still make them hold my hand in a parking lot. You think people drive like idiots out on the roads and highways? That's nothing compared to the idiocy you see in parking lots.

And this.

I get so angry when I see people drive through a parking lot as if they were on the expressway.

Edited by Mark Vader

I get so angry when I see drive through a parking lot as if they were on the expressway.

Honestly, one of these days I'll be gone from the board because I'll be sitting in a jail cell. I have literally come within inches of getting swiped by a car as it went flying by and not seeing me walking my dogs at night. The speed limit is 10MPH!!! I've asked the office on three occasions to put out a memo to the residents...still nothing...yet I've gotten at least two memos about making sure we pick up our dog's crap. :doh:

Honestly, one of these days I'll be gone from the board because I'll be sitting in a jail cell. I have literally come within inches of getting swiped by a car as it went flying by and not seeing me walking my dogs at night. The speed limit is 10MPH!!! I've asked the office on three occasions to put out a memo to the residents...still nothing...yet I've gotten at least two memos about making sure we pick up our dog's crap. :doh:

Yeah having people get run over by idiot drivers in the parking lot is fine, but the potential of stepping on dog poop is a no-no.

Yeah having people get run over by idiot drivers in the parking lot is fine, but the potential of stepping on dog poop is a no-no.

Idiotic...I have a good relationship with the office, but I have kept the emails I've sent them asking for them to send a memo to residents...if something ever happens where I do get nicked or worse, or if my roommate gets nicked or worse, it's going to be ugly for them.

What about the car door

What about it?

It sounds like the issue at your place has more to do with there being an active driveway/roadway than with starting the car. Of course you should always hold a child's hand if other cars may be driving past.

Idiotic...I have a good relationship with the office, but I have kept the emails I've sent them asking for them to send a memo to residents...if something ever happens where I do get nicked or worse, or if my roommate gets nicked or worse, it's going to be ugly for them.

My advice is to throw your dog poop at the next car that speeds past you.

I get so angry when I see people drive through a parking lot as if they were on the expressway.

I was at a shopping center and almost got hit by a school bus (no kids on board) cutting across the lot. Of course, being a bus, the district name and number was on the side. Called, and they knew exactly who it was, sounded like they had reports against them already, and they even told me that "they weren't supposed to be in that part of town".

What about it?

It sounds like the issue at your place has more to do with there being an active driveway/roadway than with starting the car. Of course you should always hold a child's hand if other cars may be driving past.

My advice is to throw your dog poop at the next car that speeds past you.

Well usually when I see people starting their car, they dont bother to shut the car door. If the kid is standing next to the car with the door open while they start it, if the car were to lunch backward the door would knock the kid down.

haha, that's a great idea...I may need to put that into action