Digging Deep - why do you remain a fan of this franchise?

BuffaloBill

No doubt that the results of the game yesterday and this season generally likely killed any slim hopes that the Bills have escaped yet another rebuilding year. I ask a question seriously and not with any contempt for the organization or it's fans - what keeps you coming back?

For me the Bills tie me back to the "homeland." I've lived away from B-Lo and WNY since graduation from college. I miss many aspects of life back there and the Bills are my "connection." It is cool to me to meet anyone from WNY anywhere in the world and you can nearly always connect through talk about the Bills or maybe the Sabres.

There is also just a pride that comes with knowing that hanging in during the hard years will make the next series of great ones that much better.

What do you have to say?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is a natural instinct of mine.

I am loyal to my country "Proud to be an American". I can't imagine not being patriotic especially on a day like today. Happy Veterans Day

I am loyal to my hometown team. "Bills fan to the core." It is part of being a real Western New York'er.

No doubt that the results of the game yesterday and this season generally likely killed any slim hopes that the Bills have escaped yet another rebuilding year. I ask a question seriously and not with any contempt for the organization or it's fans - what keeps you coming back?

For me the Bills tie me back to the "homeland." I've lived away from B-Lo and WNY since graduation from college. I miss many aspects of life back there and the Bills are my "connection." It is cool to me to meet anyone from WNY anywhere in the world and you can nearly always connect through talk about the Bills or maybe the Sabres.

There is also just a pride that comes with knowing that hanging in during the hard years will make the next series of great ones that much better.

What do you have to say?

Simple answer is my father. He was a red/white/blue Bills fan his whole life. Now that he's passed on, it's hard not to root for the team that never won the big game. Lots of nostalgia for me at the beginning of every season. None the less at this point in the season, I could care less about the games. I'll watch maybe the first half of a game (if that) and then do something else.

Born and raised on watching the Bills every Sunday. My first memories were watching the Bills go to 4 straight. Have been hoping they would get back to that level of play ever since but the past 15+ years have been painful. But when you live in Buffalo you can't help but root for our underdog team because they are more than just our team, they reflect us and our community so rooting for them is like rooting for yourself

Edited by kdiggz

As someone who moved away also after HS, I think you summed it up nicely. We are the grunt fans of the NFL, we can take anything(to quote Platoon). I dont think being a fan means I cant criticize the organization's moves, just that I root for them to win.

What do you have to say?

I am a fan of Bills fans and the jerseys, but not a fan of the bumbling ownership/management group.

Polian, Kelly, Thurman, Bruce and Andre laid the foundation for this franchise to become a mini-Green Bay and instead they are running it into the ground.

Think about this.....when Donahoe was taking over, all the kids who were Bills fans during the 4 SB runs were reaching the age where they could buy season tickets on their own. And they did. There was real momentum courtesy of a young fanbase that really had little recollection of the mercurial Ralph Wilson of the 60's thru the 80's.

They blew it. If people think attendance is a shame now, it will get worse if they don't turn it around fast. And it will take quite a turnaround over a sustained period of time to ever get all of that momentum back.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Born in WNY. Father a Bills fan. It's that simple really. Under no other circumstances would I ever choose to be a fan of this franchise, but I was born into it --- and that's how I assume most of us are.

Edited by BillsClinton

My dad took me to the parade when the Bills came to town. Warren Raab, Richie Lucas, and all that went with it. I saw Kemp/Lamonica Dubenion and Bass, Sestak, Dunaway McDole and Day, and then Dennis Shaw, Kaye Stephenson, Gary Marangi, Dan Darragh, ....Joe Ferguson and OJ, Smerlas and Haslett, the Bermuda Triangle....I rejoiced the superbowl years.....they are my team and always will be. The last fourteen years have been a mess...curse of Doug Flutie? Curse of Wade Phillips? I'm with the Bills for better or worse.

I started rooting for the Bills in the late 70s when the Bills sucked. The Steelers were in the middle of winning their 4 Super Bowls and my brother had become a fan. Even as a little kid I thought that sucked. He wasn't from Pittsburgh (we were living in the LA area at the time) and he was only rooting for them because they won. So I asked him and my Grandfather who the worst team in the NFL was and they both said, "the Bills." I wasn't a football fan at the time (I was only 5-6) but I decided that the Bills would be the team I rooted for just to show my brother that the team didn't have to win to be a fan.

Of course, now I'm stuck with this cursed franchise but there's no way I'm not going to abandon them because they lose when that's the very reason I started rooting for them. Sometimes you get what you ask for...

I was in the stands from when I was 5 yrs old... tailgating with my dad, tossing the ball in the lot and cooking italian sausages (with onions and peppers in tin foil) on a little hibachi grill. I was there for low 2 win seasons and for the high 'greatest comeback' and four straight seasons. Even moving away after college and, intellectually, being turned off by mismanagement and learning about the terrible abuse these men inflict on themselves and others, I'm still a Bills (and Sabes) fan and love Buffalo. Like others: father, 'homeland,' heart and blood.

I have stated many times that I have been a Bills fan since that first year of 1960. My sister went to Buff State and brought me home a poster of that first team. I have been a fan ever since. Sure watching them lose is no fun, but they are still and always will be my team. Every week I hope for the best and am disappointed when they lose. In the end though, I know I'll be back the next week hoping for the best again. Go Bills.

Its in my blood too....but they won't be ruining my Sundays anymore! I'm not even putting a quarter of the effort in cheering for this team....

I just don't care anymore...I've got better things to do in my life then Bills football...I will always love them but...they are not worth my time nor effort...

Only reason I watch any games is cause of my son...he lives for football...