REAL facts of EJ before injury and the QB's that filled in

Alphadawg7

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't win with just heart, though I don't question EJ's. If it only took heart, tebow would be the best. Lewis is athletically limited. EJM looks like a better athlete to me. I'll see if he can't do it before I would turn to Lewis. Then I'd get ready to draft a 1st round QB because Lewis is not going to be a Romo or Warner.

You have to go with EJ for the rest of the year no matter how bad he sucks, unless it's so bad that you already know you're going to cut bait. Gotta either find out if he can develop and play better. If not you let him play his way out of the starting lineup.

You have to go with EJ for the rest of the year no matter how bad he sucks, unless it's so bad that you already know you're going to cut bait. Gotta either find out if he can develop and play better. If not you let him play his way out of the starting lineup.

Yep, got to let him play out the string. Wish he hadn't missed the last 4 games as today likwly would have been different. Don't know about a win, but different. We'd also know more about him. Pretty obvious he has a problem w/ 3-4 blitzing defenses. Steelers and jets are almost interchangeable. Would have liked to see him vs KC, MIA, NO and CIN. The two Jets games and PIT are going to be pretty much groundhog day. I just don't know why or what it means.

Manziel wouldn't be my first choice, and I agree, he might well be a bust. But then, he could be the next Doug Flutie. I'd feel better about the possibility that he represents than what I've seen on the field this year.

We all put a lot more stock in Manuel than we would have had the Bills not picked him. (Except for 1BillsFan who crusaded for weeks for the guy). Most of the sports world said he was a risk and a reach. It's looking like they were right. Who knows, maybe at some point it'll just click for him and he'll be awesome, I just don't see it. I can't put my finger on what it is; but there's just something missing from his game. It actually reminds me of Trent Edwards. He's a big Trent Edwards, with a tan, that can run.

Can't comment on him since I haven't watched him at all.

Haven't watched him this year either but last year he stunk and commentators have said how inconsistent he has been this year, that's good enough for me.

He threw three picks yesterday. Doesn't drive the ball well enough on the deep sideline route. Pick Six City in the NFL.

lets not forget the 5 TDs, he threw the ball to the sideline with plenty of arm he just missed the WR. His helter skelter is what makes him great, like Roethlisberger, Kaepernick and Wilson.

2013 was not a sparkling year for QBs but it's not like this should be a surprise to anybody some draft sites had no QBs with even a 2nd round rating - generally speaking Geno Smith was rated most NFL ready and E.J Manuel was the QB with the best long term potential ..... L.....O.....N.....G term as in you are probably going to suffer with him until he improves his strength, his footwork and is immersed enough in the system he can do things automatically because he is not a quick instinctive athlete. Personally I would have gone with Fitz one more year and taken another position but I understand the desire to put the Fitz era behind us. I do think it's a little weird to get frustrated because the QB billed as a player who's going to take some time to develop is taking time to develop, if you are in the camp of we need to draft another QB may I suggest you start rooting for the Bills to lose out because it looks to me like there is one sure thing at QB who will probably be the first pick overall, a high potential guy who needs some work on mechanics but will probably go in the top 5, and then 2 or 3 maybe guys, a much better crop of QBs then last year but still just one guy who is likely to play well right away and he's going to be the first pick overall.

The only other thing I want to take issue with is the Bills have most of the pieces meme I've been hearing on the radio- most of the pieces, what? our DBs, RBs, WRs, have been devastated with injuries most of the season, Gilmore and Byrd still haven't returned to form , I had SJ ranked at around 20th best WR when he was 100% , 60% SJ ranks around 50th, and how bad is Marcus Easely if he can't get a sniff of play at WR- and lets talk about the O-line, a couple nights ago Warrow was on the radio giving EJ grief for putting his body at risk and doesn't he know that his health was of vital importance to the team and I was thinking maybe letting Collin Brown play LG sent a confusing mix message as to how valuable his health was - but there is one amazing thing only Collin Brown could do and that's make Doug Legursky look like a acceptable LG- the only real improvement I see in the Bills this year is that they finally have some NFL caliber LBs .

but I'm not down, what the Bills need is health (prayers, feng shui, exorcism, green leafy vegetables or whatever) and then coming out of the draft with Mike Evans WR, a TE who's a weapon maybe Seferian-Jenkins drops to the 2nd round, and Khalil Mack LB upgrade the OLine a little and then it really will be up to the QB

feng shui

feng shui

Maybe E.J. should not have been out there today.

Regardless of that, I want all your opinions about this.

When Tuel & Lewis were playing, it appeared to me that the coaches told them to go out there and win the game. Do whatever it takes.

Today with E.J. it felt a lot like he was being held back. Are the coaches still giving him baby steps?

Was E.J. too nervous to come back today? He looked very unsure.

It just felt like he was given strict orders to follow whatever play was called without improvising.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like. Thoughts?

That's what it looked like to me as well.

2013 was not a sparkling year for QBs but it's not like this should be a surprise to anybody some draft sites had no QBs with even a 2nd round rating - generally speaking Geno Smith was rated most NFL ready and E.J Manuel was the QB with the best long term potential ..... L.....O.....N.....G term as in you are probably going to suffer with him until he improves his strength, his footwork and is immersed enough in the system he can do things automatically because he is not a quick instinctive athlete. Personally I would have gone with Fitz one more year and taken another position but I understand the desire to put the Fitz era behind us. I do think it's a little weird to get frustrated because the QB billed as a player who's going to take some time to develop is taking time to develop, if you are in the camp of we need to draft another QB may I suggest you start rooting for the Bills to lose out because it looks to me like there is one sure thing at QB who will probably be the first pick overall, a high potential guy who needs some work on mechanics but will probably go in the top 5, and then 2 or 3 maybe guys, a much better crop of QBs then last year but still just one guy who is likely to play well right away and he's going to be the first pick overall.

The only other thing I want to take issue with is the Bills have most of the pieces meme I've been hearing on the radio- most of the pieces, what? our DBs, RBs, WRs, have been devastated with injuries most of the season, Gilmore and Byrd still haven't returned to form , I had SJ ranked at around 20th best WR when he was 100% , 60% SJ ranks around 50th, and how bad is Marcus Easely if he can't get a sniff of play at WR- and lets talk about the O-line, a couple nights ago Warrow was on the radio giving EJ grief for putting his body at risk and doesn't he know that his health was of vital importance to the team and I was thinking maybe letting Collin Brown play LG sent a confusing mix message as to how valuable his health was - but there is one amazing thing only Collin Brown could do and that's make Doug Legursky look like a acceptable LG- the only real improvement I see in the Bills this year is that they finally have some NFL caliber LBs .

but I'm not down, what the Bills need is health (prayers, feng shui, exorcism, green leafy vegetables or whatever) and then coming out of the draft with Mike Evans WR, a TE who's a weapon maybe Seferian-Jenkins drops to the 2nd round, and Khalil Mack LB upgrade the OLine a little and then it really will be up to the QB

feng shui

feng shui

exorcism.

Good to offer some real perspective in a sea of outrageous overreaction after a bad rookie QB performance.

It's not overreaction when you see a quarterback, no matter how experienced, unable to accurately throw three yard passes, make no attempt to look off receivers, throw into quadruple coverage, which he once did, almost never use his supposed "great" arm (except perhaps on the pass that was picked off), and in no way show the presence of a leader. Look at tapes of Peyton Manning his first year and you'll see what I mean. Yes, perhaps PM's an exception but it's not clear EJ should have been a high first round pick in any case.

I'm not sold on Manzeil as an NFL QB but I was even less sold on EJ!!!

EJ was one of those picks where, if I found out later the Bills were the only team in the league that thought he was worth a 1st round pick, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Edited by peterpan

At this juncture we can only be concerned about EJ being injury prone.

He hasn't played enough in pre-season and the regular-season to form any qualified opinions.

how about all his deep side line throws go out of bounds, how about(not) leading a reciver, oroverthrowing open targets.....that are 6'7". How about holding the ball forever, just to check it down. Oh yea, and he is unjury prone.

EJ was one of those picks where, if I found out later the Bills were the only team in the league that thought he was worth a 1st round pick, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

I'll take a guy who averages 5 or 6 TD's a game. On a bad team...playing SEC teams. Edited by JaxBills

i was definitely in the geno camp, but i think EJ can still be a very good qb. hes one of the rare ones that id put a cut below that first tier that i think still has a decent chance to develop. there were going to be ups and downs with him, but its worrisome and frustrating that he has had to miss time twice now. not because i think it makes him injury prone, but because it adds a degree of difficulty to the process of developing -- and with a qb you never want to see it be harder than it already is.

EJ looks scared out there. I am afraid he may be more like Jonathon Scott Then Richie incognito. It's almost like he is scared when he passes the ball. He tries to get rid of it as fast as he can. That is why he locks onto one receiver. I hope I am wrong. I don't think so though.

EJ started out well enough, but after taking some good shots from defenses, he looks *scared*.

I hate to day it, but he reminds me of what Trent Edwards turned into.

It's not overreaction when you see a quarterback, no matter how experienced, unable to accurately throw three yard passes, make no attempt to look off receivers, throw into quadruple coverage, which he once did, almost never use his supposed "great" arm (except perhaps on the pass that was picked off), and in no way show the presence of a leader. Look at tapes of Peyton Manning his first year and you'll see what I mean. Yes, perhaps PM's an exception but it's not clear EJ should have been a high first round pick in any case.

Yesterday was an ugly performance and absolutely a cause for concern.

1 week should never be enough to worry toooooo much. if it becomes a week in and week out issue, yes.

It's not only the Steeler game but also the week 3 game against the Jets. Too many games of looking completely lost is an absolute concern. This week against the Jets is another big test for EJ.

EJ is an unknown quantity. Let's let him get this season under his belt before we come to any conclusions. He stunk up the place yesterday...but he's had some good games before his injury. He ain't in the running for OROY but this is a "training" year for him. I can't imagine that we will finish in a position to be part of the Manziel sweepstakes, but we'll just have to see whether EJ is going to demonstrate skills enough to get us to the playoffs next year.