Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

Some tweets from jeff darlington quoting players - this is going to be a disaster for miami:

Dolphins CB Will Davis on Incognito: "He's a funny guy. Everybody loves him." ...he adds he is unsure of Incognito/Martin relationship.

Wallace: "I love Richie. I think he's a great guy. I don't think he was out of hand. I have alot of respect for Richie. I wish he was here."

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In front of a keyboard, so here goes...

This is f'n hilarious. This guy's been a first class POS for years and no one outside those directly affected give a !@#$, but now he says "the N-word" out loud and now all the sheep have dutifully displayed their bogus outrage.

I didn't type it when it first broke but I had pretty much figured exactly this will happen. I mentioned the fins would rid themselves of him soon. What happens next is he will issue an apology or statement and then the fins will cut him as it reaches the media or soon after. It's like who can get their hands on this the fastest while still maintaining control of the spin. Once RI is released he will be able to say a little more...and then...if anyone is listening and it is spun any way, shape or some form to it a lot could change. But, racial tension in Florida is high right now...this won't help.

they were busy putting incognito on the leadership council to advise philbin of what the mood in the locker room was!

in all seriousness, im guessing the dolphins were well aware that things were going on but where there knowledge fell (or where they can claim) is likely shy of what weve seen. if i recall correctly, the reports i mentioned earlier of martin informally telling the phins were in april - and thats when these texts/calls were. who knows if he shared everything, or just said he was sick of it or what. long way to go still, but i dont think theres anything that lets incognito of the hook at this point.

he was kicked off his college team (two different teams)

off his first pro team

shown the door by us despite holding his rights on the cheap

now this... heck even how he reacted to this was ridiculous.

that ignores issues on the field, doesnt go into his arrests.

im not sure this is the "he once called a hispanic man a mexican" type of over reaction. hes been a well documented trainwreck for quite some time. that the dolphins thought to put him in a leadership role is ridiculous and likely only helped strengthen his status as the guy teammates were supposed to follow.

Philbin's statements were ridiculous. Going forward this will likely bond the team more but it also forces Martin to be finished in Miami. There is no way he can be respected in the locker room - no matter what actions he took he is still a whistle blower. Clearly, the other team members knew about these actions in some form and regardless how either party handled it. The first person to HR in any type of disagreement wins. I wonder if HR was even involved or it was straight to PR. That it appears to be heavily PR favored makes me question this more...

And assuming the Fins organization knew about it and delayed action or intended to do nothing, they certainly have a great deal to answer for in both public forum and with the NFL...no debate from me on that one.

But, that does not absolve Incognito for his hateful use of language, no matter what Martin did or didn't do...there is no cause for it in today's society, especially in a state that saw such controversy over the summer and with the issue being an especially "Southern" one....should Incognito be hanged and burned in effigy? NO...should be reprimanded and mandated to some form of counseling and Community Service / Volunteer work with those under-privileged in a predominately minority neighborhood if these statements are proven to be true? YES....YES!! There is an opportunity for Incognito to be a better man, not just a humble player, and it is to that end the NFL should seek...a better man, because God knows, there are men who are horrible examples of manhood playing this game and there are countless opportunities for them to influence the next set of generation of boys to BE good, strong men who do right, not just *know* right from wrong...

If Martin was calling RI racial names, bugging him for looking like a "big ass honky stereotyped trailer trash deer huntin' cracker" then RI should have handled the situation in many other ways. If Martin was the first to taunt and the first to act then surely RI could have acted more appropriately then returning the bullying.

Of course, that is likely not the case...and many speculations can be drawn. I am withholding mine until the end of this post.

If Martin did something to actually deserve being treated like an !@#$, it will likely come out. Acting differently doesn't really fall in this category. If the team knew and looked the other way, that too will likely come out. It's early. All that is clear right now is that Incognito is an !@#$. People are fairly quick to accept that because we already knew Incognito is an !@#$. I don't see how any inaction on the part of the Dolphins or Jonathan Martin acting differently is relevant to Incognito being an !@#$.

And to cover your point about it not being a crime - he's not being charged with a crime, he's being punished by his job (and his workplace is reported on prominently in the media, so yes, he's being punished there as well.) That's what often happens to people who are !@#$s at work.

What deserves acting like an a-hole in retaliation? Two rights don't make a wrong. Who cares what Martin said to Incognito - Incognito's response is not appropriate in hindsight. If it would have been a spur of the moment one time type attack then maybe it'd be easier to rationalize but that RI continued this type of treatment makes me wonder a lot about what was going on with Martin. Some people like to be bullied and picked on, some people just play that role too well and it's all they know.

RI looks is the ideal bully. He looks like an oversized kid. And whenever someone stands up to hit (Seymour, Antonio Smith), he acts like a coward. The guy is worthless and is the perfect example of people coddling an athlete.

And Seymour is any better? The guy was a douche. Football players are not any different then you or I. I look like a bully and I intimidate people - it's what I am told, but I am far from it. Looks mean nothing. Personal life and football life - two different things. By all means, it does not appear RI has been coddled. He's got everything he has deserved.

http://espn.go.com/n...jonathan-martin

I would suspend this POS for life. With his record, he is a lifelong POS and has no place in this league.

Suspend him for life when we have wife beaters, murderers, animal abusers, etc. etc. in this league? Whew, knee jerk. I get his record is pretty bad, but Alonso is a great example of what can happen when things turn around. He was in a lot of trouble in college and turned it around. Marshawn Lynch seems to be taking a much better course in life, too. RI doesn't need to be burned at the stake to appease the masses, he needs to be given the benefit of the doubt and even when he has burned his last bridge he should not be judged. He will be judged. I will judge him. But, we should not - judge not, lest ye be judged said some famous dude.

Is there a special place for all of us "the Bills were stupid for not re-signing Incognito" posters to go? If so, please point me to that hiding spot...

Line me up. More for the fact that we didn't have much depth or answers going forward at the time with Wood being injury prone at that time.

Incognito's Dad?

I am guessing you are saying I am Incognito's dad. I am not. There is no need to respond further to this statement. But, cool.

This thread attracted a lot of strong opinions well before any mention of half N-words. Race has played a minor role thus far in this thread.

The media is going to start to stoke the flames soon. Eventually, they will go to Sharpton and Jackson for quotes and it will just be the same old song and dance. Miami will settle with them, give them box seats to a few games and all will be good.

Let me be clear. My comments are not exclusively directed at those who have posted in this thread. I first heard about this on sports talk radio & that was the angle they went with. I've heard it from others since. I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm glad to hear the discourse has been more enlightened than what I've heard elsewhere.

It still beats that basement craphouse PPP talk...

To me, this situation boils down to 2 things:

1. Richie Incognito is a complete jackass.

2. Jonathan Martin is soft.

(deleted the rest to touch on these two)

Martin is always going to appear soft. And you bet he is going to get treated as soft. As soon as some smack talking DE lines up on him - a black one - he's going to be called all sorts of N-words. He's going to get teased, polked, prodded and abused. It is part of the game - talk ****. My bet from knowing a little bit about his background is that he had never really had to deal with hard-assed men's men who don't soften their blows. They'll call you whatever they want, however they want and flex their manhood because that's just what they are. They're neanderthals. I've worked with plenty in the farming field and know they're out there. The truck drivers, miners, oil riggers, etc... Football players are the macho, testosterone filled savages they're supposed to be and many just cannot turn it off. Part of the success of a good football player is having that dense Mike Alstott type of lifestyle. Was Incognito a racist? I really, really, really doubt that. The N-word is thrown around today way too much to be offensive anymore. (Of course, that is my personal belief and people disagree but I don't care, so disagree all you want - the word is just as bad as the gay-f word, or any other slanderous word we hear all too much more often, hell, even Redskin). Incognito is likely just a moron with a big mouth and little behind it but a hard head and thick neck.

Martin may have been able to laugh it off at first and then maybe it started to get to him. Incognito being a prick likely didn't relent the torture and just kept jabbing. Sure, they probably shared a beer once or twice, and texted and chatted about the new Sean Connery film time to time... but, Martin never felt comfortable with it and let it boil up as Incognito just kept at it. To Incognito it was probably just "pick'n at him" but to Martin it was bullying. With Martin's upbringing he didn't have Andy there to tell him to just punch the bully in the nose even if he punches you back harder. Today that type of behavior is abhorring and not tolerated in most all levels of civilization. Martin was left backed in to a corner where he learned you cannot fight back, you cannot confront the tormentor for fear you will be attacked more and most importantly to hope someone else comes to help. Well, no one did. His team, his coaches, his entire organization let it happen - likely, to a large degree, knowing how serious it was. Martin was left trapped and feeling helpless. He broke, he got up and left. Walked away broken and beat and was left humiliated. That's when it came out.

Then his parents got involved and that's the best thing that could have happened. A positive environment it seems that will help him through this and hopefully not coddle him and make him feel alienated from the sport. He has a lot of talent and could be in this league a while and I hope it is realized he needs help with his mental health, as well. If it is only counseling, I know it will help him.

This is just my opinion.

Might not be the thread you're thinking of, but here is one from about two years ago when he started for the Dolphins...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/133486-incognito

just didnt seem to be much enthusiasm going either direction and a guy with a personality like his is likely not one that you want to force to be a part of your squad. though you hate to see the talent leave, i dont think he was a great one to flame the front office over - even at the time.

there has to be more to this...

There is never a valid reason to use obscene language in addressing someone. Incognito is likely a hard nosed a-hole type who doesn't take much crap. He probably doesn't use HR to make a complaint or worry if he rubs someone the wrong way. That's not a crime. It is stupid but some people are that way.

After Cooper and his situation and the way that was handled i had to laugh. Mike Vick says he forgave so we all should and things go back to normal once he went to counseling for a few hours. Sure.

From the moment this started and incognito was brought up I knew he would get a lenghty suspension and be the culprit. But what I did not know and still do not know is how much he was the knstigstor. And even if he was the sole perp then why didn't other members of the team step up? Did they just ignore him? Was Martin alienating himself from the team, acting different, something that could have made his teammates not want to stick up for him? We don't know.

The next events will be Incognito has failed drug tests, former teammates come out against him and talking how horrible he was. How he beat puppies and children. How he once called a Hispanic man a Mexican. It will keep being blasted at the fan until the media has something else ti fuel the flames of in the next week. He will enter rehab and he will issue an apology. As soon as he does he will be released from the team and the team will say they want to put it behind them. They won't tolerate it. The NFLPA will get him fully paid. The Fins will fight it. Incognito will not play for a while but someone may bring him in. We will forget about this. Miami will know this as just more racism and a reason to bring up SYG and Martin. How injustice still perceveres. How all levels of society are horrible and the NAACP, Sharpton and Jackson will make their rounds. It is just what happens with the media...

But to fully answer your question - incognito did do something.

You sure about that?

Not sure if its been mentioned but I'm kind of surprised Martin didnt stand up to Incognito. Even more surprised a teammate(s) didnt stand up and say...enough is enough. I think Martin is bigger than Incognito. It takes a certain personality but I'm surprised he didnt say...tomorrow...at this time we go at it and I'm gonna break your nose in front of this entire football team.

I realize it wouldn't be the right thing to do but in the "salty" confines of a locker room mentality...not entirely out of line. A good ole fashioned 55 gallon drum ass-whoopin is probably just what Incognito needs.

It all stems from Patrick Moran reporting that Merriman was caught smuggling steroids across the border a few years ago. Everyone questioned his sources and he decided that in lieu of concrete proof, it would suffice to swear on the life of his daughter. Needless to say the Buffalo Bills and the Border Police refuted all allegations and Moran issued some weird half hearted redaction/apologies.

More on that here, here and if you want the really juice stuff, here

Moran jumped the gun and charges weren't pursued against Merriman......but the funny part is all the geeks on this board who think it therefore didn't happen. The border policeman who cuffed Merriman and confiscated his juice is at our tailgate every game that he isn't working the border. He is a 35 year season ticket holder. Known the guy for 20 years, tailgate with his family...brothers, in-laws, nieces, nephews etc.. This is literally the only place I have ever heard people doubting the idea that Merriman was trying to re-juice himself back into the NFL. But I guess A-Rod only used that one time with the Rangers and learned his lesson too, right? Bottom line.......nobody cares either way......so why do people still carry on with the Moran nonsense like it is a glaring example of an absolute fabrication?

Seems the pussies at Deadspin are really soaking a tampon over "the N word"

Agreed. Obviously that is an inapropriate word, but to focus on that here misses the entire point. The point is Incognito is a maniac and there are other idiots in the locker room who are now defending this. Time these kids, and they are kids, in the NFL learn a bit about the real world and how to act in society.

To an extent I understand that it will never be like a normal work enviroment there...but these guys needs to be given a lesson is real world adult behavior. This is shameful, and it isn't about the N-word.

Edited by SameOldBills

Seems the pussies at Deadspin are really soaking a tampon over "the N word"

It seems like a bit more than that. Character assassination in a business where these things are important (accusing him of being a drug addict) and harrassing someone on the phone including the claim that you are going to sh-- in their mouth seem like a bit more than just "the N word." It's all part of a larger story. Deadspin is just spitting out the most culturally provocative bits of an inherently juicy story.