Why does Spiller get removed from goal-line situations?

Honest football question here and I'd love to hear some rationale from people who know better.

I understand that the book says that you feed Freddie at the line in a short yardage situation.

But what are you giving up by having a two-back set down there? Not getting to have TJ Graham on the field?

Please, someone explain to me why Gailey and now Marrone like to take one of our finest weapons off of the field in the red zone.

Haha me and my father were both talking about that right before Tuel threw the pick 6. I'm glad you brought this topic up because it's definitely something that baffles me. I mean we all know that Freddy can power the ball in, but sometime quickness at the goal line is just as effective. At some point Hackett has to mix it up down there, we can't just run every single play then be forced to pass on third down. Of course it's easier said in hindsight but it's basic football logic. Spiller should've been on the field for at least one snap.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have motioned him out of the backfield. Maybe draw a linebacker out of his position and make the defense think about the unaccounted for weapon in the slot... may have worked on that goal line int. He doesn't have to be lined up in the backfield. Only in Hacketts system

This is the same guy who got a little cut on his leg in preseason & acted as if his leg had been ripped off. Spiller is soft, that's his MO, and I believe he's been called out for it by opposing players.

Edited by BigCountryBills

Fred may have more power, but the defense only has to defend about 10 yards of goal line as he's not as explosive. Spiller's speed creates probs everywhere if he would just SACK UP and stay in the game AND the Bills would use him.

My only guess is: He must puke after 12 touches.

I think the real question is why aren't they more versatile at the goal line even when running the ball. They pretty much go with old school student body right and student body left. They never do QB sneaks, never use misdirection and go wide, never hand it off to the fullback in a two back set, never have the QB bootleg. They pretty much never do anything other than stuff it in there between the tackles.

Now, I'm all for stuffing it up between the tackles but if the D knows that it's all you do, it makes it much easier to stop. They simply crash the line and don't both defending the rest of the field. The Bills need to force them to defend the entire field and once they do that the middle will also open up.

Edited by MDH

I really feel like having a 2-back set with both CJ and Freddy in the backfield would do wonders for the Bills' red zone production. CJ is a threat to take it outside and Freddy is your "pound it" back.

Why wait for goal line for this? This should be apart of every down offense! Heck even throw Choice in a 2 back set...they run enough read option as it is. Play action with Fred or Choice up the gut, down field pass or CJ in a sweep toss or pass in the flat. Hell line up in that formation and make the d burn a time out.

There must be a reason this isn't happening...let me know when you find out.

Fred may have more power, but the defense only has to defend about 10 yards of goal line as he's not as explosive. Spiller's speed creates probs everywhere if he would just SACK UP and stay in the game AND the Bills would use him.

My only guess is: He must puke after 12 touches.

You must have overwhelming evidence to suggest that he won't stay in the game and that he's not being called off the field by the coaches / for a certain package.

Surprised no one has mentioned Spiller's fumble at the goal line last year against the Pats* at the end of the half

That's a fair point, but I'm still not suggesting in any way that that's the correct way to use Spiller in that situation.

I am saying why not Spiller over TJ or Chris Hogan -- clearly below-replacement-level NFL players?

I still think CJ is too prone to losing yardage, which is unacceptable in a goal line situation. My 2 cents is that Frank Summers should be in there. TJ Graham makes me hulk angry.

I think when he's lined up as the single back with a presumptive run, you're right.

We haven't seen what he can do with Freddie also on the field and some confusion created for the defense.

Oh, I didn't realize that you couldn't run out of a pass formation where fj is lined up in the backfield and spiller is split out wide.

so i guess your working towards if we run out of a more spread formation towards the goal line? kind of flip tendencies? im assuming you arent saying take woods, stevie, or chandler out with regularity to put CJ in.

would you be replacing summers at FB, or a guy like graham/goodwin when you split CJ wide?

so i guess your working towards if we run out of a more spread formation towards the goal line? kind of flip tendencies? im assuming you arent saying take woods, stevie, or chandler out with regularity to put CJ in.

would you be replacing summers at FB, or a guy like graham/goodwin when you split CJ wide?

Yes. Mostly, I'm suggesting we study NE and that nothing should be off the table - not flipping tendencies, per se, but actually decreasing tendencies, if that makes sense. If you have tendencies, they can be schemed against.

This is not a smash mouth team that can dictate at the goal line. There is no reason to inhabit that identity. We also don't have two or even one real killer TE, so those kinds of plays where you make a quick strike to the biggest man -- though often a successful alternative -- are lower-percentage for us.

I'd say we are replacing Graham especially but Goodwin potentially - CJ may seem fragile but Goodwin has been moreso. Graham has been next to useless.

Yes. Mostly, I'm suggesting we study NE and that nothing should be off the table - not flipping tendencies, per se, but actually decreasing tendencies, if that makes sense. If you have tendencies, they can be schemed against.

This is not a smash mouth team that can dictate at the goal line. There is no reason to inhabit that identity. We also don't have two or even one real killer TE, so those kinds of plays where you make a quick strike to the biggest man -- though often a successful alternative -- are lower-percentage for us.

I'd say we are replacing Graham especially but Goodwin potentially - CJ may seem fragile but Goodwin has been moreso. Graham has been next to useless.

flipping wasnt the best word perhaps. i guess i meant in the sense of creating something that goes against the norm by spreading out in tight spaces.

i could see it situationally, but i think it would be more effective outside the redzone than inside. the limited space means precision routes are even more vital and im not sure CJ is a better route runner than either of the WRs in question (not saying hes not, just havent seen anything to show he is either) - in a wide open area at the 40, the precision route is a bit less crucial and again gives him space to operate.

i guess long story short is i think it could be effective, but im not sure the goal line is the best place.