Belichick and Pats Wanted EJ Manuel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I just said the Pats were interested in EJ, you would be the same idiot that says LINK LINK!! I try to give reasoning as to why I posted.....

Ha ha, I always think that it is funny. Is it impossible to believe that someone on here may know someone with inside information? Every time someone tries to give some info their credibility (and character) gets crushed on here. I remember the first pieces of inside info that I put on here I got killed immediatley. I think was called "Incarerated Bob", etc...

If you have good info to post go ahead and do it and don't worry about someone demanding a link.

Who is saying he doesn't have much left?

Let's remember that this is one of the big M.O.'s for the Patriots*.

They have released many a player when they were getting to the downside of their careers. Ty Law, Richard Seymour etc.

Once those players were gone they had good younger talent step in to replace them, which is exactly what the 49'ers did in the 80's.

The Pats* may release Tom Brady in another year or two, but that doesn't mean that Brady will stop playing.

He may still want to play, but on virtually any other team at the stage he's at, it won't be pretty.

i guess the next question is where were they hoping to get him?

almost certainly not in the first round or two, id have to assume. generally just hoping hed slide and be a good value?

The Patriots entered the draft with the 29th and 59th selections.

They then traded the #29 pick to Minnesota for 4 draft picks.

I don't recall if they made this trade before or after the Bills selected Manuel.

More than anything...what does this say for how they feel about Bradys future? Are they already looking to groom his replacement? Do they think Brady is declining and his days are numbered?

no they did the same thing with ryan mallet. my guess is they were hoping for ej to drop 2nd/3rd round and they would have taken him

yeah that brady with no TEs and throwing to a guy named edelman and whose team is 6-2...that old codger.

Thanks Cappy.

So connecting the obvious dots, they were hoping to get EJ at #29.

mmmm...thats a bit of a stretch..the 'obvious' dots I mean.

mmmm...thats a bit of a stretch..the 'obvious' dots I mean.

The Dolphins had the 29th and 59th picks entering the draft… and then traded away the 29th pick after the Bills took EJ at #16 so IF this rumor is true, the theory that New England targeted EJ at the end of the first round is pretty plausible to me.

The Dolphins had the 29th and 59th picks entering the draft… and then traded away the 29th pick after the Bills took EJ at #16 so IF this rumor is true, the theory that New England targeted EJ at the end of the first round is pretty plausible to me.

That's a reasonable conclusion to draw assuming the rumor.

However, this is almost a bad thing. The Patriots are not very good evaluators of talent. They lucked out on a 6th round pick in Brady, and everyone thinks they know what they are doing. They probably have more draft busts than we do.

Patriots Draft History

Brady is the only player from their 2000 draft still with the team.

That's a reasonable conclusion to draw assuming the rumor.

That's still a huge stretch even if the rumor is fact.

Possible, sure... But I wouldn't say anything about them trading back (something they often do) proves they would've taken ej at 29 if he was there. Obviously the trade came after the pick- you don't trade up a half a round before knowing who will be available. The trade back could've been more than a dozen other guys they wanted being selected, or really wanting more volume, or simply not liking anyone at 29 (which may have included ej).

My random gut feeling is this is a "if we pick up some picks and he slides to day 2 or 3" kind of like the mallet situation a few years ago. Unless you think BB is staying long after Brady I just don't see them taking a first round qb

My random gut feeling is this is a "if we pick up some picks and he slides to day 2 or 3" kind of like the mallet situation a few years ago. Unless you think BB is staying long after Brady I just don't see them taking a first round qb

I think this logic is sound. I guess we won't know until after Brady retires(to see if BB follows).

I don't think there's much chance Manuel gets past the Eagles early 2nd rounder (think it was #35). Chip Kelly tried to recruit Manuel to Oregon, and he seems a much better fit for Kelly than the quarterback they got. Belichick, being close to Kelly, would be aware of this and would know he'd probably need to take EJ at 29 to have much of a shot. Personally I think if the Bills had passed, it would've gotten real interesting in the late 1st with teams trying to go up and get him. There were a few early 2nd round teams that were also candidates like Arizona, Cleveland, Jacksonville.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

I don't think there's much chance Manuel gets past the Eagles early 2nd rounder (think it was #35). Chip Kelly tried to recruit Manuel to Oregon, and he seems a much better fit for Kelly than the quarterback they got. Belichick, being close to Kelly, would be aware of this and would know he'd probably need to take EJ at 29 to have much of a shot. Personally I think if the Bills had passed, it would've gotten real interesting in the late 1st with teams trying to go up and get him. There were a few early 2nd round teams that were also candidates, like Arizona, Cleveland, Jacksonville.

Unless its possible most teams had geno as their #1 qb. which is entirely possible.

short of an espn special like the one on the 1983 class we will likely never know how teams had geno vs ej. even then, we really wouldnt. all we know is buffalo had EJ #1.

Edited by NoSaint

Unless its possible most teams had geno as their #1 qb. which is entirely possible.

short of an espn special like the one on the 1983 class we will likely never know how teams had geno vs ej. even then, we really wouldnt. all we know is buffalo had EJ #1.

Very true. It did seem that Geno might've hurt himself a tad on the pre-draft team visits whereas Manuel likely knocked that stuff out of the park. We will never know for sure.