EJ's development

PaattMaann

The NFL is a QB league, if you have a good to great QB you always can win football games and be a contender....and this team has or is putting in place one hell of a team aside from the QB...and if EJ is healthy right now and has been all year, perhaps we are in first place in the East....and those of you who know me and my posts, know that I was a huge EJ fan in college and thrilled when we drafted him...with that said...

the biggest disappointment has obviously been EJ's health - it is really a shame that its looking like he will have "two rookie years" now, with only playing in a handful of games this season....year 1 is critical for QBs to transition to the NFL (especially for someone like EJ who was seen as needing to put in a lot of work to be a starter on day one). Year 1 is when QBs get the feel for the speed of the game, get to know their WRs, get to see various coverages that they dont necessarily see all the time in college, get to know their offense, call the correct audibles and put their team in a position to win games...

Now EJ can and has been accomplishing some of these things....some rookies need time to sit and watch to learn, so while EJ has been injured physically, from all accounts he is mentally repping every day, and getting good feedback during games via the head sets and getting to watch Thad do it (not that this is ideal by any means, just finding the positives)....so im hoping he has the time the rest of this season to fill in the gaps, and get up to speed with all the rest of the nuances of the NFL that you just cannot get by sitting on the sidelines - hurt or not

Lets face it, this is not currently a super bowl contending team (and probably not even a playoff team, running the rest of the schedule with one or two more losses would be an incredible feat for any team), there are holes and weaknesses (o-line, secondary needs to gel, QB play with or without EJ, coaches still learning the ropes, winning mentality/culture)....so NEXT YEAR could be exciting with some more talent being brought in, players knowing the systems on offense and defense and coaches having a better grasp on this squad and the NFL, and im just hoping EJ is ready to lead the way, because in my opinion, he is more than talented and capable

(not throwing in the towel on this year, but Im just trying to be realistic and think were a season from truly contending, GO BILLS)

Edited by PaattMaann

I do not necessarily think this could be a wasted season for EJ. I think any time a rookie spends on the field during live play is beneficial.

I agree that it sucks that EJ got injured this year but lets all be honest. This probably wasn’t going to be a playoff year for us anyway. Sure, we would all have loved to see it happen but it wasn’t likely.

I think next year will be crucial. EJ would have played enough games this year to know what to expect and to be able to handle being an NFL starting QB.

Weird thought but I think EJ’s injuries will be beneficial for him next season as I am sure he will learn from the mistakes he made this year.

I expect the Bills to be much better next year as well as finish this year on a strong note!

CBF

Paatt - I, too, am an EJ fan. I think he can be a great one. I do think he needs to improve his footwork, but I believe he has shown the ability to correct mistakes since OTAs.

If EJ is able back on the field for the PIT game, then remains healthy for the rest of the season, that's 11.5 games for his first season. I would consider that a "full season," and not qualify next season as a "second rookie year."

It's my hope that this injury is a blessing in disguise. Thad Lewis is getting some great experience. He is showing (in my opinion) that he's worth holding onto as a very capable backup. EJ - as you've stated - is getting some time to sit and learn and go through the mental reps. He's not been injury-prone in the past. Therefore I'm looking at this as his opportunity to become 100% healthy and stay near 100% health for the remainder of the season. There is no reason to believe that durability is a concern with EJ, in my opinion.

As far as the season goes, I consider the Chiefs game a must win. I also consider it winnable. If we can win this game, then get EJ back for wins against the Steelers and Jets. We're riding into a BYE week with momentum, a winning record, and the easiest stretch of our schedule.

Go EJ and Go Biils!!

The injury may turn out to be blessing in disguise. He's getting a good mix of actual playing time and sideline mentoring.

I am also not sure if there would in any event be a huge difference next year had EJ played 16 games vs 12 this year.

I agree with this.

This is almost like if EJ was sitting for a bit to learn the game as QB's used to do.

I know its very popular to throw your rookie QB in the game and see what he has, but some QB's benefit from sitting first and that approach shouldn't ever be overlooked.

EJ isnt playing in 12 games this year though, hes missing half of the games total this year, he might play in 10 games if hes lucky - those 6-8 games are a big difference i think...and especially when the first two games he did play in he was still hurt, and im sure the first two games he plays in after this injury he will hurt in as well...that has an impact, so maybe 6-8 truly healthy started games - that HAS to hurt development

I do agree about this injury potentially being a blessing in disguise - he won the starting QB job outright, so theres no "QB controversy", yet he still gets sine sideline time to see how the offense SHOULD run while not being dipped in head first, I do think (I do HOPE) this year will be an effective mix of playing time/chalk time and be beneficial, and that this injury isnt setting EJ and this team back

I do not necessarily think this could be a wasted season for EJ. I think any time a rookie spends on the field during live play is beneficial.

I agree that it sucks that EJ got injured this year but lets all be honest. This probably wasn’t going to be a playoff year for us anyway. Sure, we would all have loved to see it happen but it wasn’t likely.

Im still thinking playoffs.

I think next year will be crucial. EJ would have played enough games this year to know what to expect and to be able to handle being an NFL starting QB.

Weird thought but I think EJ’s injuries will be beneficial for him next season as I am sure he will learn from the mistakes he made this year.

I expect the Bills to be much better next year as well as finish this year on a strong note!

CBF

Paatt - I, too, am an EJ fan. I think he can be a great one. I do think he needs to improve his footwork, but I believe he has shown the ability to correct mistakes since OTAs.

If EJ is able back on the field for the PIT game, then remains healthy for the rest of the season, that's 11.5 games for his first season. I would consider that a "full season," and not qualify next season as a "second rookie year."

It's my hope that this injury is a blessing in disguise. Thad Lewis is getting some great experience. He is showing (in my opinion) that he's worth holding onto as a very capable backup. EJ - as you've stated - is getting some time to sit and learn and go through the mental reps. He's not been injury-prone in the past. Therefore I'm looking at this as his opportunity to become 100% healthy and stay near 100% health for the remainder of the season. There is no reason to believe that durability is a concern with EJ, in my opinion.

As far as the season goes, I consider the Chiefs game a must win. I also consider it winnable. If we can win this game, then get EJ back for wins against the Steelers and Jets. We're riding into a BYE week with momentum, a winning record, and the easiest stretch of our schedule.

Go EJ and Go Biils!!

great points to ALL, and nice post Gug as usual

I think its very optimistic that we have EJ for the Steelers game, and im not confident that will happen...but if it does yes, 11.5 games is a good amount of field time for sure and maybe not a "wasted season"

agreed about the Chiefs game, if we win it (and we can) we could get on a roll and make some noise - which is why I am not packing it in as a fan, but I think its also very difficult for ANY NFL team to roll off 7 wins in 8 games (maybe 6 out of 8 gets a playoff berth) - Sunday will be HUGGGEEEEEEEEEE in the B-LO

There is no experience quite like playing and getting real reps, but I'm OK with him learning from the sideline.

Frankly I'm more worried about Hackett learning the NFL more than EJ.

Also Its not a great sign that our young QB has already had both knees injured so early in his first year. Thats concerning but hopefully just a fluke.

There is no experience quite like playing and getting real reps, but I'm OK with him learning from the sideline.

Also Its not a great sign that our young QB has already had both knees injured so early in his first year. Thats concerning but hopefully just a fluke.

if he had prior injury history I would be more concerned, these seem flukey to me...only time will tell

He was not injured in college, and the first injury he had in the PS it seems he could have played through if needed with a brace so not sure it could even be called an "injury." Most QBs get injured at one time or another and at least it wasn't his shoulder - Brees had serious shoulder injury early in his career and just kept getting better and never got injured again. Rivers and Brady both tore ACLs and came back just as good if not better. If I were a Redskins fan I would be worried about RGIII.... and Mike Vick is a QB I would label as "injury prone." I do understand the concern, but I am not looking at it as a "sign" or anything. If EJ was a "running" QB and kept hurting his knee that would be an issue, but he isn't and this likely scared him into ever not getting OOB again likely saving him from a more serious injury in the future.

The injury may turn out to be blessing in disguise. He's getting a good mix of actual playing time and sideline mentoring.

I am also not sure if there would in any event be a huge difference next year had EJ played 16 games vs 12 this year.

I see where you are going with this and agree in principle. But I can't say injuries to both knees in his rookie season is any kind of blessing.

I think we all agree that the Bills are on track to be better in 2014. The optimists (& I am one of them) are going to contend that this team can go on a run in the second half and might be in the playoff hunt. But regardless, we are looking forward to 2014.

In that light, there are a couple positives about the injury. Not least is the emergence of Thad Lewis as a viable long-term backup. I believe that Doug Whaley would aspire to build a Steeler-like franchise with characteristics that I've listed below. I think Thad fits into that plan.

• Continuity in the organization
  • A physical defense
  • A strong running game
  • A big, mobile quarterback with vertical passing ability

Thad has some Charlie Batch in him. I think he could be a solid, long term #2.

Edited by Flip Johnson

EJs biggest problem is he doesn't set his feet and sails passes. Now he has had two knee injuries in one year I just hope that doesn't stick in his mind and make his footwork even worse because he is scared to get hurt again. If he can correct his footwork he will be a good QB

The NFL is a QB league, if you have a good to great QB you always can win football games and be a contender....and this team has or is putting in place one hell of a team aside from the QB...and if EJ is healthy right now and has been all year, perhaps we are in first place in the East....and those of you who know me and my posts, know that I was a huge EJ fan in college and thrilled when we drafted him...with that said...

the biggest disappointment has obviously been EJ's health - it is really a shame that its looking like he will have "two rookie years" now, with only playing in a handful of games this season....year 1 is critical for QBs to transition to the NFL (especially for someone like EJ who was seen as needing to put in a lot of work to be a starter on day one). Year 1 is when QBs get the feel for the speed of the game, get to know their WRs, get to see various coverages that they dont necessarily see all the time in college, get to know their offense, call the correct audibles and put their team in a position to win games...

Now EJ can and has been accomplishing some of these things....some rookies need time to sit and watch to learn, so while EJ has been injured physically, from all accounts he is mentally repping every day, and getting good feedback during games via the head sets and getting to watch Thad do it (not that this is ideal by any means, just finding the positives)....so im hoping he has the time the rest of this season to fill in the gaps, and get up to speed with all the rest of the nuances of the NFL that you just cannot get by sitting on the sidelines - hurt or not

Lets face it, this is not currently a super bowl contending team (and probably not even a playoff team, running the rest of the schedule with one or two more losses would be an incredible feat for any team), there are holes and weaknesses (o-line, secondary needs to gel, QB play with or without EJ, coaches still learning the ropes, winning mentality/culture)....so NEXT YEAR could be exciting with some more talent being brought in, players knowing the systems on offense and defense and coaches having a better grasp on this squad and the NFL, and im just hoping EJ is ready to lead the way, because in my opinion, he is more than talented and capable

(not throwing in the towel on this year, but Im just trying to be realistic and think were a season from truly contending, GO BILLS)

I have to disagree that a rookie QB's first year is critical. It was not very long ago where QB's didn't typically take over a team until they had a year or two or even three of riding the bench and learning. Just because a couple of QB's in the last couple years have come in and had early success everyone now seems to think thats the only way it happens when its by FAR the path that has happened the least.

First off, EJ showed a lot of promise and played relatively solid given he had missed time in the preseason to build timing and rapport with his teammates. He showed poised under pressure with games on the line, he showed the ability to recover from mistakes, he showed leadership, etc. This kid is learning each and every day while not playing. Its not like he is missing film room study.

In fact, I would argue, that him not playing is actually allowing him to be better prepared for the rest of the season as he gets to sit back and learn to identify defensive formations, see the speed of the game, learn the offense even more, etc etc. Why people think the only way a QB can develop is on the field is beyond me. This kid is going to have a lot of growth from this season and just because he is going to have missed a handful of games does not mean next is going to be like a rookie year again, thats just a silly assumption that makes no sense.

IMO, EJ will be a better QB from having sit 4 to 8 games this year after playing 5 already, because he further gets the film work and understanding of the game because he has the benefit of the offense not having to change with Thad running it. Thad is running the offense that EJ would be running, so he is getting very valuable film study.

I have to disagree that a rookie QB's first year is critical. It was not very long ago where QB's didn't typically take over a team until they had a year or two or even three of riding the bench and learning. Just because a couple of QB's in the last couple years have come in and had early success everyone now seems to think thats the only way it happens when its by FAR the path that has happened the least.

First off, EJ showed a lot of promise and played relatively solid given he had missed time in the preseason to build timing and rapport with his teammates. He showed poised under pressure with games on the line, he showed the ability to recover from mistakes, he showed leadership, etc. This kid is learning each and every day while not playing. Its not like he is missing film room study.

In fact, I would argue, that him not playing is actually allowing him to be better prepared for the rest of the season as he gets to sit back and learn to identify defensive formations, see the speed of the game, learn the offense even more, etc etc. Why people think the only way a QB can develop is on the field is beyond me. This kid is going to have a lot of growth from this season and just because he is going to have missed a handful of games does not mean next is going to be like a rookie year again, thats just a silly assumption that makes no sense.

IMO, EJ will be a better QB from having sit 4 to 8 games this year after playing 5 already, because he further gets the film work and understanding of the game because he has the benefit of the offense not having to change with Thad running it. Thad is running the offense that EJ would be running, so he is getting very valuable film study.

makes a lot of sense, good post - but to clarify I meant "a QBs first year is critical" in that, their first year PLAYING/STARTING is critical - I am well aware that many rookies dont play right away, and also well aware that some do - to varying degrees of success

a QB's first year playing IS critical - you take your lumps, you learn the speed, you read defenses, so it does not matter if EJ plays in his rookie year or in his 5th year in the league - its still his first year playing....yes, a QB can learn a lot by sitting on the bench and watching/studying film/seeing someone else run the offense, but its still FAR DIFFERENT when you are in the fire doing it yourself and on the fly, where your actions have consequences

Hopefully EJ is back soon and misses only a few games instead of 8...having already missed time in the preseason, i do think its critical he plays enough this year so we dont have to watch too many "rookie mistakes" next season when the team could be poised for playoffs...

I think it isn't a waste for EJ it's just going back to the old school way of doing things with him having to sit more than expected due to injury that was the way the NFL use to do it all the time, and i for one don't like the constant change with the man in charge on the field .

If Thad gets on a role with the team & it is time for EJ to come back do you take Thad out just because ? I would hope that wouldn't happen especially if the play offs may be in sight !

Sure EJ is suppose t be our future & looking at the over all package it seems as though he has 85% of what it takes to be a GOOD NFL QB but the one thing that i have seen that scares me is his inconsistent accuracy issues & i hope that will come with time.

To this point i haven't seen a QB come into the league (unless someone can tell me of one) that has had accuracy problems at first that has fixed them ?

And just to add if at one of our picks in next years draft we have a chance to pick up another college QB with a better college resume than EJ i would jump on it ! I'm talking Taj, Johnny M, which will more than likely be gone but this years QB class i suppose to be a very good one & to pass over a player (like we have done in the past Orapko, Matthews, Nagta) just because we THINK we know the guy we have or want would just continue in a long line of dumb moves by the Bills FO ...

Go Bills !!!