EJ's development

PaattMaann

I'd prefer him to be playing and learning in games. So looking for a silver lining, I think in a weird way, his sitting and watching was likely what the Bills projected him doing anyway which is why they brought in Kolb. I don't think the Brain Trust thought he was a day-one starter like Andrew Luck and would have preferred nurturing him well into this year. At least that's what they were saying right after the draft. Then, if he was developing the way they hoped, he would probably have gotten his first start right around week ten.

Hope springs eternal.

Paatt - I, too, am an EJ fan. I think he can be a great one. I do think he needs to improve his footwork, but I believe he has shown the ability to correct mistakes since OTAs.

If EJ is able back on the field for the PIT game, then remains healthy for the rest of the season, that's 11.5 games for his first season. I would consider that a "full season," and not qualify next season as a "second rookie year."

It's my hope that this injury is a blessing in disguise. Thad Lewis is getting some great experience. He is showing (in my opinion) that he's worth holding onto as a very capable backup. EJ - as you've stated - is getting some time to sit and learn and go through the mental reps. He's not been injury-prone in the past. Therefore I'm looking at this as his opportunity to become 100% healthy and stay near 100% health for the remainder of the season. There is no reason to believe that durability is a concern with EJ, in my opinion.

As far as the season goes, I consider the Chiefs game a must win. I also consider it winnable. If we can win this game, then get EJ back for wins against the Steelers and Jets. We're riding into a BYE week with momentum, a winning record, and the easiest stretch of our schedule.

Go EJ and Go Biils!!

Erudite.

Again.

GO BILLS!!!

Paatt - I, too, am an EJ fan. I think he can be a great one. I do think he needs to improve his footwork, but I believe he has shown the ability to correct mistakes since OTAs.

If EJ is able back on the field for the PIT game, then remains healthy for the rest of the season, that's 11.5 games for his first season. I would consider that a "full season," and not qualify next season as a "second rookie year."

It's my hope that this injury is a blessing in disguise. Thad Lewis is getting some great experience. He is showing (in my opinion) that he's worth holding onto as a very capable backup. EJ - as you've stated - is getting some time to sit and learn and go through the mental reps. He's not been injury-prone in the past. Therefore I'm looking at this as his opportunity to become 100% healthy and stay near 100% health for the remainder of the season. There is no reason to believe that durability is a concern with EJ, in my opinion.

As far as the season goes, I consider the Chiefs game a must win. I also consider it winnable. If we can win this game, then get EJ back for wins against the Steelers and Jets. We're riding into a BYE week with momentum, a winning record, and the easiest stretch of our schedule.

Go EJ and Go Biils!!

I agree, I'm amazed at how many people think this time off the field is hurting him, and yet it seemed as though most thought he should sit behind Kolb for a number of games.

That being said, I would like EJ back for a purely selfish reason. I want to watch him play.

When you are trying to master a skill you have to actually do the work in order to really get better. Don’t you?

Think about it.

If you are trying to learn to play guitar, are you better off watching someone else play it or are you better off practicing it yourself.

If you want to become a better auto mechanic, are you better off watching someone else change brakes every day or are you better off changing the brakes yourself?

If you want to become a better sports coach, are you better off watching someone else coach for two months or are you better of getting out there and coaching your own team?

Yes there are certain “mental” aspects of the game he can continue learning from the sideline. But, the mechanics of how you react in the pocket when facing a live opponent can only really be learned through practice.

He needs a lot more practice (in my opinion) in live fire situations.

I am sure with the amount of time EJ has spent on this team he is very much up to speed mentally on what is supposed to happen on the offensive side of the ball. If he isn't, then the dude has a brick for brains. What he needs is more practice against live opponents where your mistakes and successes are amplified. That is when you really learn.

There is little doubt in my mind that this injury has caused him to “not progress” as fast as he could have without the injury. And like other fans, by the end of this season I want to know without a doubt, whether EJ is going to be an above average QB or not.

When you are trying to master a skill you have to actually do the work in order to really get better. Don’t you?

Think about it.

If you are trying to learn to play guitar, are you better off watching someone else play it or are you better off practicing it yourself.

If you want to become a better auto mechanic, are you better off watching someone else change brakes every day or are you better off changing the brakes yourself?

If you want to become a better sports coach, are you better off watching someone else coach for two months or are you better of getting out there and coaching your own team?

Yes there are certain “mental” aspects of the game he can continue learning from the sideline. But, the mechanics of how you react in the pocket when facing a live opponent can only really be learned through practice.

He needs a lot more practice (in my opinion) in live fire situations.

I am sure with the amount of time EJ has spent on this team he is very much up to speed mentally on what is supposed to happen on the offensive side of the ball. If he isn't, then the dude has a brick for brains. What he needs is more practice against live opponents where your mistakes and successes are amplified. That is when you really learn.

There is little doubt in my mind that this injury has caused him to “not progress” as fast as he could have without the injury. And like other fans, by the end of this season I want to know without a doubt, whether EJ is going to be an above average QB or not.

What EJ needs most of all is confidence. He has the physical tools to play QB in this league. How best to obtain that confidence - I'm not sure. We will just have to wait and see.