Bills win doesn't change the fact that they are heading in the rig

dezertbill

Just had to make a mention of this, because its seems that there are alot more positive threads about the team as a whole, draft classes, coaching, etc than after a loss. In fact, the posts focus on criticisms, doubting direction, and competence.

I'm not talking about questioning a call here or play there, but seriously questioning the skillset or credibility of the team, a coach, a player, the draft, etc a from an overall standpoint this season..

What if Carpenter had missed the 31 yard field goal, or if Miami's hail mary had been answered? Would we be praising our draft class, or talking about Pettine being a genius? All because of one play?

One play does not define a team, a direction, or complete competence of a coaching staff.

Fact is, the Bills have shown plenty this season to believe that we ARE heading in the right direction. We are at a point where we have a 3rd string QB (Lewis was on the PS where ANY team could have claimed him, but didn't....thus making him a legit 3rd stringer) and three of our main offensive weapons (Jackson, Spiller, Johnson) all playing hurt. Let's not forget our top CB and SS out with injuries for most of the season so far.

Yet in last two games we lost to a top three team in the AFC by 3 pts in overtime and a win vs. a division rival that started the season 3-0, including a win vs. "those" Indy Colts.

While I agree the defense played their best game of the year vs. Miami, they have shown flashes of greatness at certain points this year. It's all about chemistry and putting it together.

...and while I'm a little critical of the offense at times getting conservative or predictable during games, the bottom line is that they are scoring enough points to win.

In fact, the Bills are one of two teams to have scored at least 20 points in each game up to this point this season.

The other team....that Peyton Manning guy and the Denver Broncos. No Chip Kelly, no Andrew Luck, no Aaron Rodgers. Rather the EJ Manuel and Thad Lewis led Buffalo Bills.

I think there are alot of teams that wished they were promised 20 points each game. Especially with two of the seven games played with a 3rd string QB.

Bottom line is the Bills have shown each week why as Bills fans we should have confidence in the direction the team is heading. They may not always win, and they may make dumb mistakes....but they keep it close. That's what young players, and young coaching staffs do. Its called growing pains.

Over the past seven weeks, they have learned to win on last second drives and capitalize on key turnovers when all seemed lost to pull out the win.

We are growing and learning. Some teams can't say that.

I'm glad for once, we can.

Andy Reid will probably get coach of the year but Marrone deserves it to this point of the season. I think many fans feel good about this team but don't post on this board. I feel this team and coaching staff is building a winning attitude and will be a contender soon if not this year. Feeling goooood. Go Bills

Andy Reid will probably get coach of the year but Marrone deserves it to this point of the season. I think many fans feel good about this team but don't post on this board. I feel this team and coaching staff is building a winning attitude and will be a contender soon if not this year. Feeling goooood. Go Bills

The chiefs had the worst record in the league last year. They're undefeated after 7 games. Andy Reid deserves coach of the year;

I think this is what Marrone brings to this organization. He brought in assistants to run the offense and defense so that he could focus on the players and the games. Establishing a positive attitude was probably first and foremost on Brandon's mind when he hired him.

The chiefs had the worst record in the league last year. They're undefeated after 7 games. Andy Reid deserves coach of the year;

They were 2-14 and had SIX pro bowlers. They had already had a ton of talent. They also have played the easiest schedule in the NFL (benefits of being 2-14).

Reid is a very good coach but KC wasn't the normal 2-14 team.

They were 2-14 and had SIX pro bowlers. They had already had a ton of talent. They also have played the easiest schedule in the NFL (benefits of being 2-14).

Reid is a very good coach but KC wasn't the normal 2-14 team.

They also picked up a very capable, and pro bowl caliber QB in Alex Smith. They also now have a healthy Jamal Charles, so while I love what Andy Reid has done for the Chiefs, C.B makes a very good point. That team had some of the worst head coaches in the last couple of years, making Dick Jauron look like a smarty pants.

man u sure are a glass half empty kind of a person.

IF IF IF IF IF

If the Putz were flagged just 1 more time that killed drive where they scored points, If the Bills were not flagged 1 time that killed drives vs the NYETS, if the Browns didn't take out EJ's knee, and if the Bills went for 3 vs the Bungles on that ONE BIG play to end the half THE BILLS WOULD BE 7-0

man u sure are a glass half empty kind of a person.

IF IF IF IF IF

If the Putz were flagged just 1 more time that killed drive where they scored points, If the Bills were not flagged 1 time that killed drives vs the NYETS, if the Browns didn't take out EJ's knee, and if the Bills went for 3 vs the Bungles on that ONE BIG play to end the half THE BILLS WOULD BE 7-0

You clearly didn't read the OP post.

You used IF more than the OP.

Yes, I agree that the Bills are heading in the right direction. Sure I am still mad about the going for it in 4 and goal, and some SJ drops, but like the OP its only a bad call or a bad play. The bad news is I have felt this way a few times over the last 13 years, only to get kicked in the.......

Just had to make a mention of this, because its seems that there are alot more positive threads about the team as a whole, draft classes, coaching, etc than after a loss. In fact, the posts focus on criticisms, doubting direction, and competence.

I'm not talking about questioning a call here or play there, but seriously questioning the skillset or credibility of the team, a coach, a player, the draft, etc a from an overall standpoint this season..

What if Carpenter had missed the 31 yard field goal, or if Miami's hail mary had been answered? Would we be praising our draft class, or talking about Pettine being a genius? All because of one play?

One play does not define a team, a direction, or complete competence of a coaching staff.

Fact is, the Bills have shown plenty this season to believe that we ARE heading in the right direction. We are at a point where we have a 3rd string QB (Lewis was on the PS where ANY team could have claimed him, but didn't....thus making him a legit 3rd stringer) and three of our main offensive weapons (Jackson, Spiller, Johnson) all playing hurt. Let's not forget our top CB and SS out with injuries for most of the season so far.

Yet in last two games we lost to a top three team in the AFC by 3 pts in overtime and a win vs. a division rival that started the season 3-0, including a win vs. "those" Indy Colts.

While I agree the defense played their best game of the year vs. Miami, they have shown flashes of greatness at certain points this year. It's all about chemistry and putting it together.

...and while I'm a little critical of the offense at times getting conservative or predictable during games, the bottom line is that they are scoring enough points to win.

In fact, the Bills are one of two teams to have scored at least 20 points in each game up to this point this season.

The other team....that Peyton Manning guy and the Denver Broncos. No Chip Kelly, no Andrew Luck, no Aaron Rodgers. Rather the EJ Manuel and Thad Lewis led Buffalo Bills.

I think there are alot of teams that wished they were promised 20 points each game. Especially with two of the seven games played with a 3rd string QB.

Bottom line is the Bills have shown each week why as Bills fans we should have confidence in the direction the team is heading. They may not always win, and they may make dumb mistakes....but they keep it close. That's what young players, and young coaching staffs do. Its called growing pains.

Over the past seven weeks, they have learned to win on last second drives and capitalize on key turnovers when all seemed lost to pull out the win.

Very confusing post at first. Didn't know if you were criticizing or praising... Decent read after the 4th paragraph.

Very confusing post at first. Didn't know if you were criticizing or praising... Decent read after the 4th paragraph.

Yeah.....he should have saved his thoughts for after a game where we lose. "Bills loss doesn't change the fact that they are heading in the right direction" makes far more sense. But agreed.....it was a decent read.

the bills are playing well but until they beat the team that has owned the division the last 12 years I refuse to be too optimistic. It was a descent win for the bills sunday but I still got to see them beat new England in a key situation

Good post. :thumbsup:

I agree this team has made significant progress in a number of areas. For example, there's a significant difference between what I've seen from the defense this year versus previous seasons. Some of that's coaching, some of it's Kiko, some of it's other factors.

But regardless of whether it's been E.J. or Thad taking the snaps, we've still been getting bottom-12 level QB play. I realize Manuel is still a rookie, and Thad began the season on the practice squad. But until the Bills obtain a top-10 level of play from their QB, there will be a relatively low ceiling on what the team as a whole can accomplish.

There will be those who point out that the Ravens won the Super Bowl back in 2000, without having a top-10 QB. But the Ravens had one of the three best defenses in NFL history; and the Bills will not replicate that. In the absence of a defense like that, we need a top-10 QB in order to win the Super Bowl. Right now we don't have one. Manuel may or may not develop into one. (I'm pessimistic on that score; but that's a subject for a different thread.)

To make a long story short: as nice as it is to see the team as a whole make progress, I also need to see progress from the QB position for me to feel optimistic about the long term. If Option A is for Manuel to play like a top-10 QB upon returning from his injury, and for the Bills to lose every game between now and the end of the season; and if Option B is for him to continue to play like a bottom-10 QB, with the Bills getting lots of wins; Option A would be better for the long-term than Option B.

Edited by Edwards' Arm