Well, kinda glad we passed on Freeman...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freeman was slated to start this Sunday against GB, but has a concussion. MIN may have to turn to Ponder to start. Can you say disarray?

Ponder has averaged 6.9 yards per attempt so far this season; as compared to 6.7 yards per attempt for Fitz playing under Gailey. On the other hand, Ponder this season has thrown for just 2 TDs and 5 INTs. The Vikings would have been better off sticking it out with Ponder in the first place than they were getting distracted by Freeman.

The main thing to be said in favor of the Freeman signing/start is that now that the Vikings have seen the alternative to Ponder, there might be a lot more support for him now than a week ago.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I didn't understand why so many fans wanted him. Its not like he all of a sudden got good.

He was the "best available" when EJ got hurt. It was the timing of him getting cut (a starter) and EJ going out... made sense rather than go to a 3rd string or guy off the street. In the end, it is just had to bring a QB in midseason and expect much when they haven't had time to learn the offense and develop timing with WRs.

Never understood the frenzy for Freeman. The young man has a wild arm and would not be an answer to any teams QB question. He is destined to be a career back up.

Edited by Nitro

He was the "best available" when EJ got hurt. It was the timing of him getting cut (a starter) and EJ going out... made sense rather than go to a 3rd string or guy off the street. In the end, it is just had to bring a QB in midseason and expect much when they haven't had time to learn the offense and develop timing with WRs.

By what standard? In your opinion?

This is the problem with most discussions of this kind, opinions stated as facts. There is no factual evidence that Josh Freeman is better than anyone at this point. More experience? Yes, An NFL history by which to make assumptions? Yes. But his year to date performance for this season made him anything but "best available".

By what standard? In your opinion?

This is the problem with most discussions of this kind, opinions stated as facts. There is no factual evidence that Josh Freeman is better than anyone at this point. More experience? Yes, An NFL history by which to make assumptions? Yes. But his year to date performance for this season made him anything but "best available".

This. I still think it is significant that Freeman, his first few years in the league, looked like he was developing into a quality starter. Then the coaching change, and since then he sucks. Correlation or causation?

But you are what your recent history says you are, and to expect a faltering QB to 100% turn it around a week after landing in a new team with a new playbook, a new line, and new WR, well -- it doesn't have the potential of positive outcome of having an offseason to work with a team and a playbook

This. I still think it is significant that Freeman, his first few years in the league, looked like he was developing into a quality starter. Then the coaching change, and since then he sucks. Correlation or causation?

But you are what your recent history says you are, and to expect a faltering QB to 100% turn it around a week after landing in a new team with a new playbook, a new line, and new WR, well -- it doesn't have the potential of positive outcome of having an offseason to work with a team and a playbook

While I won't say your wrong, I will say that the bar for best available qb mid season this year is so incredibly low that it's pretty close to fact that it's pretty close.

The young starter with success coming off a bad year in a toxic situation ranks ahead of a mish mash of undrafted guys cut by 4 teams and high picks that have failed multiple places based on his potential and possibility he could be good that the others are lacking. If on a scale of 1-10 they are all 2s and 3s they guy that could prove to be a 7 wins in my book even if it's not a sure thing by any measure.

I liked the idea of going with Lewis as opposed to rushing out to get a "savior" from the discarded qb pool. If it were a situation where we were 7-0 and we had NO confidence in the existing qb's I might be tempted to try to get a quality outsider, but in most cases you have to have confidence in the folks you have as it adds to team confidence. I think the Lewis experience is a great example of this.