I like Marrone, but.....

If you can get past the rambling about things that are obvious, he publicly criticizes his players too much. After a big win like that, he was saying some things that I think he should just not say. For example, when asked about Mario's sacks, he said, "yeah, it's about time." When EJ had a good game, he'd say, he's improving but he's not there yet. You can leave out the second part of that sentence. Nobody expects EJ to be there. He's a rookie. I think Marrone needs to curtail the public criticisms of the individuals on this team. I also think somebody should have put him on the spot about that idiotic sequence right before halftime. He sort of dismissed that as "just trying to score more points." I think most would agree that it would have been much better to try and run out the clock and get to halftime with a 10 point lead.

If you can get past the rambling about things that are obvious, he publicly criticizes his players too much. After a big win like that, he was saying some things that I think he should just not say. For example, when asked about Mario's sacks, he said, "yeah, it's about time." When EJ had a good game, he'd say, he's improving but he's not there yet. You can leave out the second part of that sentence. Nobody expects EJ to be there. He's a rookie. I think Marrone needs to curtail the public criticisms of the individuals on this team. I also think somebody should have put him on the spot about that idiotic sequence right before halftime. He sort of dismissed that as "just trying to score more points." I think most would agree that it would have been much better to try and run out the clock and get to halftime with a 10 point lead.

Seems to me (in my opinion) Marrone is still feeling his way out with his players. He doesn't want to come off as a "hard ass" coach like Coughlin nor does he want to be the "lenient player coach" like Marv Levy. I think he's trying to balance between the two where the players respect him and want to gain his approval as well as being approachable/friendly for the sake of camaraderie. I see him slowly maturing into the role of a Mike McCarthy (hard ass, critical but will do anything for his players that needs to be done).

Edited by BringBackFergy

I have no problem with Marrone not kissing his players asses win or lose. That has been the tact of the previous 3 coaches, and, in my opionion, is part of what has created the "atmosphere of losing" for the Bills. Ditto for the Sabres. There is a time and place for things like that...Marrone is trying to get these guys not to settle for "moral vicitories"... the Bills, as a whole, have been too soft for too long...he wants these guys to have pride, and want to get better, not simply settle for being "decent" or "pretty good". When this team starts winning 10 or 12 games a year, proving they know how to win, then, maybe back off a little bit.

Edited by Buftex

Not saying he is or isn't, but he frequently just looks lost out there on the sideline. Hope the dumb jock look is just optics.

I have no doubt that he feels lost at times. I'm sure I did for the first 7 weeks of my job. But that doesn't mean he's doing poorly. These guys show up hungry and ready for their opponent.

you took the Mario quote completely out of context. "it's about time" as in--he's been right there, and hasn't gotten any luck/bounces to go his way yet. "it's about time" as in he was finally on the right side of things.

having said that: he did then take a swipe at thad lewis...big time. recounted having to tell him to relax, focus and calm down then said thad assured him he was focussed and his reponse (as he told the media) was "good, then it's time to go out there and start executing better."

that one actually made me LOL when i was walking home from the grocery store listening to the wgr ap last night.

I think a good coach understands that different players respond to different motivational tools. For some, a small prod through the media (and the examples you listed certainly seem to fall into the "minor" category) can really help to motivate. I think the keys to doing this successfully is 1. not saying anything in the media that you wouldn't (and haven't) said to the players' face and 2. to know which players are likely to benefit from this.

I think time will tell whether he knows what he's doing with regards to player treatment, but keep in mind that a large chunk of the players at SU left within his first two years. I don't think he's looking to win any popularity contests by taking it easy on his players. He wants respect, not necessarily friendship (not to say the two are mutually exclusive.)

Not saying he is or isn't, but he frequently just looks lost out there on the sideline. Hope the dumb jock look is just optics.

He's got the team playing hard but so did Jauron. The Bills are one of the most penalized teams in the league and for a coach who preaches discipline that is a potentail concern. But who cares this week..we beet the stinkin' fish!

Completely out of context with the Mario quote.....he said that in a way where he is actually rooting for him to do well "he has been right there" meaning he is putting forth the effort and he deserved to get the play "its about time"

Are we really going to disect how he looks on the sideline? This team is FIGHTING man......playing good teams...in every game...beat last years Super Bowl Champ and a division rival on the road

I know we have been in the gutter for so long that a win on the road against a divisional foe seems like a big deal....well it actually is.

Not the vibe I get at all. I think he looks in control.

no biggie players will live

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I believe the "it's about time" comment he made was referring to Nickell Robey. Basically said that to you guys (media) it may look like Nickell Robey "emerged" but to Marrone it felt like "it's about time" he intercepted a ball during a real game.

My guess is Robey does this on the regular during practice.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

He's trying very hard - and by all accounts, succeeding - in building a culture of high expectations. I don't think that's bad thing.