Is Stephon Gilmore an above average CB???

Estro

I am not concerned about Gilmore at all.

Although I do agree that he should not be playing now, because I don't think he can play all that good with that cast on.

It's bad enough that he missed a lot of time, but to put him out there with that cast can't help at all.

Let's talk about Gilmore's play, after he gets the cast removed.

This 2.0

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this thread is a joke. Stephon Gilmore was already a top 5 corner in the entire NFL by the end of last season. We would be having a very surprising season if he had been healthy all year rather than having Justin Rogers cover top WRs. If there is ANY PROBLEMS on this team Stephon Gilmore would NEVER be considered one of them. With that being said he is playing with one arm. That speaks to how good he is. He is better with one arm than anyone else we have with two arms. Obviously he isnt going to be flawless with one available arm to him. This guy is an absolute star.

Not sure if I'd go as far as to call him a top 5 corner, but I think he was the best on our team, and certainly worthy of being considered an above average, could be great corner. I definitely believe once that club comes off, we will see a different Gilmore...

I think it's also worth mentioning that in addition to that, The Club has got to be playing havoc with both his balance and quickness.

Trying to play corner at a high level while carrying a pumpkin in your hand is damned near impossible.

Well put sir!! :lol:

Let's see what he's got when the cast is off. He's a physical corner that can't be physical with the cast now. I think he'll end up being the #1CB for the Bills for a long time yet. Not to mention, Hartline is a pretty good receiver.

Rewind to the second half of last year. He was turning into a shut down corner. Also keep in mind its the NFL and every CB gets burned on occasion. That bein said the guy is out there playing with one hand/arm. I have played the position and couldnt imagin playing handicapped like that. Give the guy some credit please.

I hope this thread is a joke. Stephon Gilmore was already a top 5 corner in the entire NFL by the end of last season. We would be having a very surprising season if he had been healthy all year rather than having Justin Rogers cover top WRs. If there is ANY PROBLEMS on this team Stephon Gilmore would NEVER be considered one of them. With that being said he is playing with one arm. That speaks to how good he is. He is better with one arm than anyone else we have with two arms. Obviously he isnt going to be flawless with one available arm to him. This guy is an absolute star.

This thread is absurd. You have a corner back running around with a damn club on his hand. How in the heck is he supposed to be productive as a 2nd year player with that thing on his hand? In all of my years of watching football, I have never seen a DB out there with that thing on his hand. So you cannot judge this guy. To say that he was a top 5 corner in NFL is a huge reach. Can't believe on the back of a win, people are picking on a DB out there trying to battle with a club on his hand.

After we fire Marrone, maybe we could package him with Byrd for a pair of 5th round picks from the Eagles or maybe some magic beans?

Sheeesh...if you don't think Gilmore is all that, maybe read a decent analysis of his play last year from someone whose appreciation for a CB is more involved than counting how many pick-sixes he has. "Stephon Gilmore: An Elite Corner Lost in the Failings of the Buffalo Bills"

I keep hearing Gilmore bashing starting as "I know he is playing hurt but"

THERE IS NO BUT......HE IS HURT.

Stephon Gilmore is a big fast physical press corner who only has the of 1 hand....and it is clearly hampering his game.

The guy is the real deal and I wish people would stop bitching about him....its the coaches that keep putting him out there with that club

This... He locked down some of the best WRs in the league last year, but I am pretty sure he used both hands of most of those plays.

The thing that I was most impressed with was the same play people are crying about. He ran down Wallace after losing a step. Had no idea he was that fast! His scouting report coming out said he might look into the backfield occasionally, but now it's on film for coaching to deal with.

The hard decision for coaches is at what point a compromised Gilmore is better than the next best option. Hopefully that will be over soon.

Are u his agent? That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. He is a star of nothing. I agree w the original poster of this thread. He has been average at best in his year plus in the league. His technique and instincts are lousy. Playing CB is not a wrestling match. You have to cover not mug. Until he learns how to mirror the receiver, he will be average at best. Robey is ahead of him at this pt in their careers. And for all those who bash Leodis, his play has been excellent.

He looked rusty yesterday for sure...nowhere near the player he was the last half of last season. Looks to me like a guy that hasn't played football in 2 months and it's taking him longer to get back into rhythm.

That said--did anyone see who knocked down the Hail Mary pass?

I'll give you three guesses...

right now Gilmore is a liability and shouldnt be playing

overall i think he is a solid CB that is way overhyped...my biggest issue with him is he turns his back to the receiver way too much which as a CB is something you should never do

right now Gilmore is a liability and shouldnt be playing

overall i think he is a solid CB that is way overhyped...my biggest issue with him is he turns his back to the receiver way too much which as a CB is something you should never do

How is he overhyped? He is in 2nd year and towards the end of last year, he basically took away a team's best receiver.

The patience some fans is insane. He is an extremely young player, playing the most difficult physical position in the NFL. Newsflash, corners are going to get beat, especially one handed ones. And if he wanted until he was 100% healthy, some fans would question his heart. Players can't win.