Unpopular opinions thread.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcell Dareus was the right pick...at the time. Hindsight is always much easier on the eyes...and I still like him, he just has to be coached to be put in the right position and you have to have a Defensive Coordinator who understands his strengths and allows him to play to them...

Stop it your going to make me blush :wub::P

Marcell Dareus was the right pick...at the time. Hindsight is always much easier on the eyes...and I still like him, he just has to be coached to be put in the right position and you have to have a Defensive Coordinator who understands his strengths and allows him to play to them...

I love the two Rookie WRs, but we need another one.

A receiving TE should be one of the top 3 positions taken in the Draft.

I like Marrone and Pettine, Hackett is "ok" but needs to continue to learn a great deal to keep up with the learning "curve" in the NFL.

Levy sucked as a GM...Jauron and Chan are two of the worst hires this team has had in nearly 20 years.

Brandon has been a man of his word thus far.

Whaley will continue the good work Buddy began. Look at other teams, including the almighty Patsies, they let many of their Drafted players go early in their careers. All things considered, I think Buffalo has done a fairly solid job of Drafting given the team needs and where this team was at the time Nix took over. He deserves more credit than he gets, and Whaley is another strong step in the right direction.

I sometimes think EJ is a phenomenal physical athelete, but NOT the QB of the future for the BILLS. I still think their Franchise QB is yet to be drafted....hopefully I'm wrong, but I think a QB is drafted in 2015 with the idea that EJ can still "win" the job that year, but will most likely end up on the bench....

Despite the EJ concerns, I really do like the draft class of 2013 for the BILLS.

If Buffalo does not build an domed stadium at the point in time when a new stadium is approved and ready to be built....they are the biggest bunch of dumbasses the new century has seen yet. The new NFL is all about the fan experience, and you can regale me all you want about the Kelly years and playoff football in zero degree weather, very few people want to take their children to zero degree weather in January in Buffalo....we need a domed stadium and it needs to be relocated.....

> Marcell Dareus was the right pick...at the time.

There were those here who wrote--quite forcefully--that Dareus would never be more than average at the NFL level. They also wrote that A.J. Greene would likely become a great player. They wrote that any time you have a choice between an average player and a great player, you take the great player. You do that regardless of short-term needs.

Going into the Dareus draft, the above-described point of view was not very popular on these boards. Anyone who expressed it was often treated like an idiot; too stupid to realize that a team without run defense should focus on DTs before WRs.

At least thus far, those who wanted Greene over Dareus have been proved right. Every statement they'd made to support their pro-Greene, anti-Dareus arguments has been borne out by events. Anyone who favored Dareus over Greene going into that draft should admit that (at least thus far) events are proving him wrong.

This isn't a case of 20/20 hindsight. This is a case where the vast majority of people here were focused on the short-term; whereas the pro-Greene people were focused on the long run. That difference in focus is why the pro-Greene people came to the correct conclusion. I'll grant that the temptation to focus on the short-term was high. Buffalo's run defense was getting run over; and that's the exact opposite of what a tough, blue collar fan base wants to see. On the other hand, using the 3rd overall pick on a WR would go against the belief that most top picks should be used on linemen, pass rushing LBs, or QBs. The temptation to engage in short-term thinking was definitely there. But the Bills' fan base could have (and should have) resisted that temptation! :angry:

The draft is one of the few things where I don't think hindsight criticism is unfair. GM's watch loads of film, have regional scouts working for them (which they hire), contacts in the college ranks, and generally have a crapload of resources that fans don't. I don't think it's asking too much for an NFL FO to be better than a TBD poster who copies Mel Kiper's board, which the Bills too often haven't been.

Now hindsight criticism re: 4th down coaching decisions is total Bush League (which unfortunately a lot of fans are guilty of) and it drives me nuts. But 4th down decision making are clock management are things I could do in my sleep better than NFL coaches.

He cannot beat one on one blocks and make tackles, especially tackles for loss. Doesn't matter where you line up, if you can't do that you're not going to be good. He was the number 3 pick in the draft and has not played up to that pedigree. He has some more time, but that is quickly running out. I think he's been Buddy's worst pick given the draft position and his production. It's a shame because if he could play this defense would be outstanding with all the other talent that's been added.

I don't agree with your assessment. Check out Joe Buscaglia's in depth review of Dareus's play in his "Upon Further Review" series. He is the 3rd highest rated player on the entire team. He is doing a very good job for an interior DT in the pass rush department and a decent job against the run given his size. They play him a lot at the 3 technique like Kyle Williams to maximize his effectiveness but he is simply not suited to play 1 or 0. Neither he nor Williams are guys that can handle double team on a regular basis. The Bills really need a massive 2 down DT/NT if they're going to become a dominant run defense.

Roger Goodell is a good commissioner.

I agree. Too many adolescent, and entitled egos who arent used to discipline.

I trust Lewis more than EJ. Yet understand that EJ is our guy.

Joe Flacco sucks.

I wish Jarius Byrd wasnt in Buffalo.

Spiller is made of glass.

We should do this more often. I feel better now.

Edited by Smears

We would be better off with Lynch and Freddie than Spiller and Freddie

"Levy sucked as a GM...Jauron and Chan are two of the worst hires this team has had in nearly 20 years."

Not really an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion.....no one else would have hired Jauron and Gailey as HCs. It was 7 years of pure misery and incompetence.

I don't agree with your assessment. Check out Joe Buscaglia's in depth review of Dareus's play in his "Upon Further Review" series. He is the 3rd highest rated player on the entire team. He is doing a very good job for an interior DT in the pass rush department and a decent job against the run given his size. They play him a lot at the 3 technique like Kyle Williams to maximize his effectiveness but he is simply not suited to play 1 or 0. Neither he nor Williams are guys that can handle double team on a regular basis. The Bills really need a massive 2 down DT/NT if they're going to become a dominant run defense.

I thought this was obvious to more fans than it is apparently... Especially ones who supposedly know what they are talking about. If you dislike Dareus and his play this year ( and it's a given he had a down year last year so no need to go there) you should probably stop trying to evaluate football players at all. He has had great production ALMOST all season. NOBODY does it game in , game out.

"White Out" is the second lamest organized activity that a crowd can do at a game (the first of course being the wave)

> Marcell Dareus was the right pick...at the time.

There were those here who wrote--quite forcefully--that Dareus would never be more than average at the NFL level. They also wrote that A.J. Greene would likely become a great player. They wrote that any time you have a choice between an average player and a great player, you take the great player. You do that regardless of short-term needs.

Going into the Dareus draft, the above-described point of view was not very popular on these boards. Anyone who expressed it was often treated like an idiot; too stupid to realize that a team without run defense should focus on DTs before WRs.

At least thus far, those who wanted Greene over Dareus have been proved right. Every statement they'd made to support their pro-Greene, anti-Dareus arguments has been borne out by events. Anyone who favored Dareus over Greene going into that draft should admit that (at least thus far) events are proving him wrong.

This isn't a case of 20/20 hindsight. This is a case where the vast majority of people here were focused on the short-term; whereas the pro-Greene people were focused on the long run. That difference in focus is why the pro-Greene people came to the correct conclusion. I'll grant that the temptation to focus on the short-term was high. Buffalo's run defense was getting run over; and that's the exact opposite of what a tough, blue collar fan base wants to see. On the other hand, using the 3rd overall pick on a WR would go against the belief that most top picks should be used on linemen, pass rushing LBs, or QBs. The temptation to engage in short-term thinking was definitely there. But the Bills' fan base could have (and should have) resisted that temptation! :angry:

Wow, that's the longest, "I was right!" post I've ever seen. Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

Edited by MDH

A thread for posting your opinions about the Bills (or NFL in general) that are or might be unpopular here on Two Bills Drive.

What do you think that differs from the general consensus?

(NOT A THREAD FOR FLAMING OTHERS OPINIONS, just to post some thoughts.)

Geno Smith looks more comfortable throwing the ball than EJ.

Mexico City should be the first international team home.

Not breaking the bank for Levitre was the right move.

We NEED a new stadium.

Stevie is the man, and doesn't deserve the criticism he receives on here.

I would be fine with the NFL contracting 2 teams.

New stadium never happening. the area and the state cannot afford it in any scenario