Did the Bills really trade Marshawn Lynch for a 4th and a 5th?

The Bills got Tank Carder and Chris Hairston with the Lynch trade picks.

Discuss.

At the time I would have taken a 3rd round pick. Considering our track record with 4th and 5th round picks I would have rather kept him and taken the risk of him screwing up again. During the off season I listened to a Peter Carroll interview on Sirius NFL radio. He basically said that the Bills kept on turning down their offer of a 4th and 5th round pick week after week, but Seattle's GM never gave up and kept calling until we caved. Very depressing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nothing but revisionist history IMO. Lynch got into a couple scrapes, but, the truth of the matter is he was traded because Chanix wanted a shiny new toy. They didn't give a rats ass that the Bills were stacked at only one position at the time. They didn't care that they were switching defense. They chose a player in the first round of their first draft who plays a position they didn't have a need at. It was and it is a stupid, egotistical, arrogant pick. And before everyone jumps down my throat about Spiller...I like the guy, but it doesn't change the facts.

I remember thinking when Spiller was drafted, that it was such a dumb pick, because at the time, we didn't have an O line that could open holes to establish a running game. It was very much an arrogant pick. Buddy tried to down play it by saying that they chose him because he was the best player available at the time of the pick. ( Forget about positional need. We'll worry about that later.)

He was also one more screwup from being suspended for a significant period of time. Doing stupid stuff was becoming a regular thing with him at the time. It is easy to only remember part of the story.

It was a good trade at the time, given the chances he would be suspended were pretty high.

And he still has court coming up this offseason for a Suspiscion of DUI case stemming from a year and a half ago. Any type of conviction and he's gone for anywhere between 8-16 games.

The trade looks bad now but i don't have a problem with it. Running backs for Buffalo since then have never been an issue for me. Defense, Quarterback and to some extent, WR production (also tied to QB) continue to be what is holding this team back.

Lynch is surrounded by a much better cast than he was with Buffalo and his style of running is more straight forward than it was here.

Btw, this pretty much sums up some Bills' fans in a nutshell. Guy averages 4.0 ypc, drives drunk, hits someone, leaves the scene, gets caught with guns and grass (I love that word), still is going skiing (figure it out) in bars afterwards, and the Bills' trade him. Somehow, the Bills are idiots for this, yet they have 2 rbs who average more ypc for their career.

So, with maybe the best rb tandem in the NFL, and a draft trade of Tavon Austin (159 yards so far) for EJ Manuel and Kiko Alonso, this is what some fans still cry about!!! Some of you are still crying over that girl in 7th grade that broke up with you, huh?

Btw, this pretty much sums up some Bills' fans in a nutshell. Guy averages 4.0 ypc, drives drunk, hits someone, leaves the scene, gets caught with guns and grass (I love that word), still is going skiing (figure it out) in bars afterwards, and the Bills' trade him. Somehow, the Bills are idiots for this, yet they have 2 rbs who average more ypc for their career.

So, with maybe the best rb tandem in the NFL, and a draft trade of Tavon Austin (159 yards so far) for EJ Manuel and Kiko Alonso, this is what some fans still cry about!!! Some of you are still crying over that girl in 7th grade that broke up with you, huh?

she wasnt even that cute at the time but really got hot in college. though she might be mentally unstable.

The trade looks bad now but i don't have a problem with it. Running backs for Buffalo since then have never been an issue for me. Defense, Quarterback and to some extent, WR production (also tied to QB) continue to be what is holding this team back.

Lynch is surrounded by a much better cast than he was with Buffalo and his style of running is more straight forward than it was here.

part of the problem is we whiffed on both picks. if hairston and tank were starters and lynch was suspend last year for the DUI -- i doubt we see any threads.

It was the summer before senior year of high school and about two months before she was crowned homecoming queen. So yeah.

Can't two points of view both be correct here?

1) NoSaint's point about his back issues bears repeating - the way he runs, his shelf life is about to expire. I guarantee he'll only last another year or two max, then it's over. And the Seahawks will still be paying him.

BUT

2) It's hard to believe they couldn't have done better than a 4th and a 5th. They should've been able to get more compensation for him (although his off the field stuff made that difficult). The Saints reportedly had a better offer on the table. Nix was just a terrible, awful poker player.

Good post! I'd like to add that another issue (or maybe part of #2) is that the Bills depressed his value by taking Spiller. It was a problem of their own making. If they knew they wanted Spiller, they should have looked to deal Lynch before the draft. (For reference, there were 2 RBs drafted after Spiller in the 1st and 4 in the 2nd that year -- good chance at least 1 of those 6 teams would've rather payed a 2nd or 3rd for Lynch, or at least what Seattle gave up.) On top of that, Nix struck me as a pretty bad negotiator as well. His tenure as GM is a pretty good argument against hiring a 70+ year old "rookie".

The last year Lynch was in Buffalo he looked out of shape. I remember being pissed off that he looked winded after every carry. It sucks that he was wasting his talent when he was in Buffalo, but he clearly didn't want to be there. He had said on numerous occasions that he wanted to be closer to Oakland. It didn't help that they were clearly a non contender every year Lynch was there. I don't think they made a bad choice trading him. It sucks they didn't get more for him but, his play didn't warrant more than that at the time.

your really missing out, Seattle is the perfect team. Marshawn is a one man wrecking ball................and Russell Wilson is as cool as they come. Defense is loaded. Current bills have zero chance of beating the hawks.

To think there is no reason why we couldn't have had a top offense. How do Troup (Rob Gronkowski), Carder and Hairston (Lynch), and TJ Graham (Russell Wilson) sound to you? Bills are good at making bad moves. Its so frustrating.

He was also one more screwup from being suspended for a significant period of time. Doing stupid stuff was becoming a regular thing with him at the time. It is easy to only remember part of the story.

It was a good trade at the time, given the chances he would be suspended were pretty high.

I disagree with this completely because he is still one more screwup from being suspended for a significant period of time.

Just like a slew of other pro bowlers.

You don't trade away your best players for peanuts because they might get in trouble some day.

To think there is no reason why we couldn't have had a top offense. How do Troup (Rob Gronkowski), Carder and Hairston (Lynch), and TJ Graham (Russell Wilson) sound to you? Bills are good at making bad moves. Its so frustrating.

AJ Green or J Jones for Dareus too

Lynch was obviously not the same player with the Bills he is now with the Seahawks. He is much leaner now and has stayed out of trouble not to mention being on a good team with what always seems like a very good offensive line

Trading Lynch was the right decision at the time

I'm fine with the trade, and I don't think there is any revisionist history going on here to support it. As I recall, he was not happy in Buffalo, and had dropped his head out of the game. He had two great seasons followed by two average seasons, and his trajectory in Buffalo was headed down. I think it's naive to think he would have the kind of production here, as he is in Seattle. He's a great player, but an immature person. It's lots of fun to play on a winning team like Seattle. But, considering the problems we have had in Buffalo since his departure, I don't think his attitude would have improved much. And, it's not like we are thin at running back. I would take CJ or Freddie, with their combination of talent, professionalism, and great attitude, over Lynch any day of the week.

I never minded the trade as much as what they got for him. The FO decided Spiller was the man they wanted. Even with ML's history, I wouldn't have drafted Spiller, although I like him too. I see why they did it but they coulda, woulda, shoulda done better. I kind of think Chix just hated the guy. It happens.

She got my virginity and is still hot, so yeah a little.

It was the summer before senior year of high school and about two months before she was crowned homecoming queen. So yeah.

sorry didn't see that but ha!

At the time I had no problem with the move

- He was getting into trouble here.....there was nothing to suggest that was going to change

- Fred Jackson was looking BETTER then him

- Chris Hairston....jesus where do I start. Chris Hairston when we first got him looked like the ANSWER at left tackle or at least a sure thing for the RT side.....then injuries started happening.

The real problem here is the bills didnt hit on their picks for what they got for him....unlike the Jason Peters trade that netted us a quality center.....we didnt get something we could put or keep on the field.

BUT....we have to stop living in the past...those decision makers are now gone....we have to STOP lumping former decision makers into current ones.....This years draft (and last years) look solid