ESPN NATION: QB Watch...Bills

Agreed, it's not about drop-off. It's about upside.

If EJ develops with size, strength and some of the intangibles on his side, he is clearly the guy.

Now, is that to say that he is destined to be a great QB, or even a better one than Lewis? Not in the least. But the Bills have invested much in him and it'd be foolish to not seek the greatest return on that investment.

It's not about drop off for me. It's about getting EJ the games in for the invaluable experience they provide. The hope is the more he plays the closer he gets to being our savior at the position.

I was thinking about this earlier this morning. They mentioned how Thad learned a lot from being in the booth and seeing how the plays were called and why for specific situations. I wonder if EJ, now that he has played a few games will watch from above and come back even better with views from both angels. Obviously I would love to have him playing, but long term this could be a great learning experience

I was thinking about this earlier this morning. They mentioned how Thad learned a lot from being in the booth and seeing how the plays were called and why for specific situations. I wonder if EJ, now that he has played a few games will watch from above and come back even better with views from both angels. Obviously I would love to have him playing, but long term this could be a great learning experience

I have said this is the silver lining of the injury for EJ. Most rookie QBs before the recent crop did have an advantage of observing for awhile before taking the field. That, and it was enough to scare the sh*t out of him to never do that again and get OOB. To avoid a more serious injury in the future.

I have said this is the silver lining of the injury for EJ. Most rookie QBs before the recent crop did have an advantage of observing for awhile before taking the field. That, and it was enough to scare the sh*t out of him to never do that again and get OOB. To avoid a more serious injury in the future.

Agreed. Would love to see him come back fresh and more cautious for a second half push on a much more manageable schedule.

Also even if they keep him off of the field I cannot imagine he's not able to start throwing and practicing again soon.

It's not about drop off for me. It's about getting EJ the games in for the invaluable experience they provide. The hope is the more he plays the closer he gets to being our savior at the position.

This and only this. I like the way Thad Lewis looks, but EJ has more upside and need reps when the bullets are flying.

I thought of exactly this when they panned to Thad and Tuel high-fiving on the sidelines. I didn't see EJ there and was hoping that the reason I didn't see him was because he was up in the booth!

Depending on how Thad plays this week, I don't think we throw EJ back in. I'm not one to care how a guy came into the league. I liked Thad's game against the elite Bengals defense. Let him lose it, don't take it.

By the same token, Thad could have been benefiting from playing against a team that had precious little film on him. I'd say the jury is still very much out on a guy with one game with this club as a starter.

A lot of guys have come in and had early success. Sustaining it when defenses are game-planning for you is a lot harder.

ESPN NFL Nation@ESPN_NFLNation23m

QB Watch: Bills' Thad Lewis http://es.pn/1gKogyD

Is there any drop-off? One of the hot topics last week was whether there would be any drop-off in play from E.J. Manuel to Lewis. The early returns suggest there will not be.

This is what is most worrisome: "If his mobility and ability to plant off his back foot are hampered, his overall performance will follow suit."

Chances are higher then not Thad hasn't tommy maddox'd yet. But while the fires still going why not stoke it.

Everyone has said EJ is more likely to be a 2-3 yr investment. Even last year with RG3 and Kaep and Wilson. They're regressing to their average while Luck cotinues to improve aand warranting his #1 selection. Going back further and looking at Newton he is just now starting to round the curve from the nose dive he took last year. And improving steadily. However the benefits of the downfall are that you can better see the ceiling. Its not as high with RG3 this year and anyone who can't see that doesn't know football. RG3 won't have the career they thought he would have last year. And the same is said for Wilson and Kaep. Theyve become more grounded by the experts saying they are HOF types.

I haven't seen Cam 'round the curve'. IMO, he's now exposed and may not be allowed -by opposing defenses- to get back to where he was as a rookie..

I really don't care who is/becomes the QB of the Bills, only that SOMEONE steps up and earns it.

round the curve of the nose dive he had last year. Not reach the plateau or back on the rise. Just rounded out to maintain a consistent level. Not a good level or anything better then average. He is a good qb but not good at playing qb.

He reminds me of Rob Johnson.

Edited by jboyst62

By the same token, Thad could have been benefiting from playing against a team that had precious little film on him. I'd say the jury is still very much out on a guy with one game with this club as a starter.

A lot of guys have come in and had early success. Sustaining it when defenses are game-planning for you is a lot harder.

just would rather see him lose it in his own.

Yet it's fair for EJ to lose the job to injury. Or are you really suggesting Manuel has "lost it on his own" after five games as a starter, in a year that the team may well not have planned on having him start?

This is nuts.

I was going to say the same thing.

Add to that Manuel was 2-2 as a starter with a strong possibility if he doesn't go down in the Cleveland game of being 3-2. Is it fair to just take the starting job away from him?

I think it's more, "hey, Thad played a pretty good game compared to what we've seen from Manuel. Why not let him play a few more games to see if we've stumbled upon something special? If he regresses as most assume, then reinsert Manuel and move on from the Thad experiment."

I hope your right.

This and only this. I like the way Thad Lewis looks, but EJ has more upside and need reps when the bullets are flying.

I love EJ, but Lewis continues to make plays, then this would be his team. EJ has yet to show the consistency in the medium to long throws. He has a great arm, but not a accurate one (at least not yet). I was indeed surprised by the maturity shown by Lewis.