This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone is fine, but Hackett is clearly a problem.

The guy simply does not understand how to attack defenses.

What are you talking about???

Hacketts rag tag group of rookie and 2nd year WRs (goodwins 2nd game of career at that) and a practice squad QB starting the 2nd game of his career minus their best WR, and game changing RB was banged up.

Somehow they just performed better than Tom Bradys team, by a lot. Just last week against the same team.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

I don't always agree with Hackett's play calling, but IMO he is doing what he can with what he has and trying to win the game. Easier said than done when you have seen 3 different QBs, WRS in and out of the lineup, and 5 extremely strong defenses in your first games in the NFL. Not sure we should have not gone with more exp OC, but I don't really blame Hackett. I think Morninweg in NY has done a great job there but then they come up with a clunker today againt winless Pitt at home and only manage 2 FGs. Pretty sure every team's fan base loves to complain about the OC being the issue.

Am I the only one that thought the offense looked the best it has all year today? Hackett drew up plays that actually worked to CJ's strength. He dialed up some great pass plays and we were again able to get over 100 yards rushing on a solid run D. Maybe it's the result of having Thad and/or Goodwin out there, but I actually had faith in this squad to get down the field. I didn't like the 4th down call on the goal line, but it's not his fault Freddy couldn't get in there the first 3 plays. Our OT drive was screwed up by Cordy's false start, but I don't think 2 run plays on 1st and 2nd down was the right thing to do.

Absolutely. Some Thad, some Hackett. Best game of the year IMO.

Boomer was awful calling the game today - totally for Cinci. He should be banned from calling Bengals games....

Hmm, I really enjoyed his play calling, as well as the other guys. I thought Boomer called Nate Hackett's poor play calling on that 4th and 8 to a tee. He made a lot of football sense. I wish Boomer called all of our games. He would probably make a decent coach as well. IMHO

Hacketts rag tag group of rookie and 2nd year WRs (goodwins 2nd game of career at that) and a practice squad QB starting the 2nd game of his career minus their best WR, and game changing RB was banged up.

Somehow they just performed better than Tom Bradys team, by a lot. Just last week against the same team.

Hackett's main problem is that he does not always understand the rhythm of the game. There is a time to run and a time to pass. You don't run 3 consecutive run plays and pass on 4th and 8. There are so many times that he runs the ball like a pop warner offense. All game, all the time and straight up the gut. Where are the screen plays and play action passes on 1st down? Defensive Coordinators study habits. When do we ever throw the ball on 1st or 2nd down? He is a fairly predictable coordinator. I will say this though, he seems to be improving. I think that he is slowly learning to adapt to the NFL level and becoming better. He is so close, he just has to mix up his packages more. We have talent on this team and we have been in every game. I cannot wait for this team to get over the hump. Almost there... GO BILLS!!!

It could have a lot to do with Cincy being at home last week, most teams are better at home as evidenced by them being 3-0 at home and 0-2 on the road before this weekend. His play calling has been questionable and predictable a lot to me this year, I just hope it improves next season when we may actually be able to do damage!

I puts lot of blame on hacket in the earlier games, but today's game I wouldn't call him a problem. Worst thing about today's offense was the receivers dropping so many balls and Thad hanging on the ball too long. Otherwise, they did well against a pretty good defense. This was the defense that broke Brady's td record.

Then on defense, so many missed tackles. Missed takles everywhere.... I wouldn't blame coaches today. We are starting a lot of young players who look good, but clearly need experience

Hackett's main problem is that he does not always understand the rhythm of the game. There is a time to run and a time to pass. You don't run 3 consecutive run plays and pass on 4th and 8. There are so many times that he runs the ball like a pop warner offense. All game, all the time and straight up the gut. Where are the screen plays and play action passes on 1st down? Defensive Coordinators study habits. When do we ever throw the ball on 1st or 2nd down? He is a fairly predictable coordinator. I will say this though, he seems to be improving. I think that he is slowly learning to adapt to the NFL level and becoming better. He is so close, he just has to mix up his packages more. We have talent on this team and we have been in every game. I cannot wait for this team to get over the hump. Almost there... GO BILLS!!!

Bingo.

Play Calling is mostly about keeping the defense off balance, emphasizing the strengths of your offensive players, and attacking the weakness of your opponent. As he mentioned, there is a "rhythm" involved in calling the right plays at the right time.

In the Baltimore game, there was a sequence where we busted off a couple nice runs. Then bam... play action bomb to Woods. Touchdown. Perfect.

That was an example of great play calling. Where was it today? We were running the ball down their throats in the 1st quarter. It was ripe for some play action. Did we even call it once?

Hackett doesn't seem to understand rhythm. He is way too predictable. He doesn't seem to know BASIC counters against the defensive schemes he's facing. Jay Gruden saw an agressive defense and Gilmore with a cast. So he dialed up a heavy screen game and absolutely toasted us.

Nothing has changed with Marrone.

Injuries, no depth, poor coaches challenges, poor time management, losing close games.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Atleast while the constant Russ Brandon has been around

Really a Russ Brandon blame for this game???? Sometimes I think people here just blame him for everything to get attention.

Bingo.

Play Calling is mostly about keeping the defense off balance, emphasizing the strengths of your offensive players, and attacking the weakness of your opponent. As he mentioned, there is a "rhythm" involved in calling the right plays at the right time.

In the Baltimore game, there was a sequence where we busted off a couple nice runs. Then bam... play action bomb to Woods. Touchdown. Perfect.

That was an example of great play calling. Where was it today? We were running the ball down their throats in the 1st quarter. It was ripe for some play action. Did we even call it once?

Hackett doesn't seem to understand rhythm. He is way too predictable. He doesn't seem to know BASIC counters against the defensive schemes he's facing. Jay Gruden saw an agressive defense and Gilmore with a cast. So he dialed up a heavy screen game and absolutely toasted us.

I think this is the most valid criticism of playcalling I've read (it is bogus 98% of the time imo).

Right on with the Woods TD (and not just because it worked). I kept waiting for that deep playfake on 1st down to happen vs NE but no, after a 6yd FJax run it was always the same play into a brick wall. Doing something until it stops working is cool vs West Virginia. Against a Front7 that's better than your OL, not so much.

Boomer was awful calling the game today - totally for Cinci. He should be banned from calling Bengals games....

i thought boomer was great and not anti buffalo at all. he pointed out WHY there was a roughing call and why there was PI on the long pass and argued against the call on Kyle. he was extremely fair and insightful

I liked this hire when it happened, I love it now. Yes- we can nitpick a few things but this guy, as the CEO of the coaching staff, can definitely coach these guys up. All 4 home games have been down to the wire, exciting as hell....2 wins, 2 losses. The two road games have been winnable. There are rookies at key positions and some very iffy injury replacements in there. Just listening to him after today's game, he was not pleased with taking Cinci to OT...he gets it. Winning is all that matters, not good showings. I just think Marrone over 2-3 years is really going to get this thing rolling. The only things I can really criticize are having Tuel as backup QB, Not Thad...and going for it on 4th and goal today early. I was screaming to kick the FG.

I agree. I've liked what i've seen so far

Can't blame a coach for going for it on fourth and one in a 10-7 game, especially the way we had been moving it down the field.

I do blame the coaching staff for the call. It wasn't a very good one. But that's something they will learn from.

The guy has done a tremendous job and in my opinion he knows how to lead a football team. There are not many guys who can keep a team competitive every week and deal with no secondary and work on your third quarterback. What they have had to over come in only six games the job he's done is UNDERATED X10. Like it or not they are improving , nobody has them as a playoff team this year but to ignore how they play or just focus on winning is short sighted ignorance. I like the call to go for it today it shows attitude we haven't had around here in 15 years. Jauron and Chan certainly kick it but we also played intimidated under those guys.

Edited by CardinalScotts

Wilcots is an ex-Bengal I believe. Is Kevin Harlan fron Cinci too? It was a horrible Cinci-biased broadcast team today.

Worse than the usual pre-season game announcers.

Horrible broadcast.

So far I'm not impressed. Yeah, the guys play hard and were in every game, but we lose 67% of them. How is this different, if not slightly worse than what we've had here the last 13 years? We're still losing close games. I know people love to make cracks about Dick, but this reminds me of Dick Ball. Play close and try to win it at the end. It's really no different, is it?

How are we doing better? Last year this time we were 3-3 and the year before 4-2. He's totally flubbed up the QB situation. We're still bringing in guys off the street because our starter got hurt. this is usually the kind of thing a team does when they lose their first and second string guy in the same game. He makes bad game time decisions like gong for it on 4th and 1 instead taking a chip shot game tying FG in the first half. Kicking Teams have lost us the last 2 games.

Many on here love our D and think our O is not good. Actually our D is 23rd in the NFL in points scored against and 26th in YPG.. Our D is still no good. 483 yards given up in one game is Wannstedt type numbers! Our O is 16th in YPG and 17th in points per game. Our problem is our D people. We do need maybe another TD per game, but we're not losing due to our O.

I don't see the improvement. Looks like more of the same to me.

I like how Doug seems to be accountable for overseeing all three phases. Not like chan just ignoring that theres a defense.

As far as Hackett it seems to me that he just forgets age old offensive staples for long stretches of time.

Everybody has talked about the screens and play action. Still not enough.

Do we ever throw a swing pass when the wrs have big cushion. Enough slants? Is spiller really getting the ball in space?

Has a rb caught a pass downfield?

I'm probably being too critical. He got a young qb ready to play today which must have been a ton of work.

Let's give this staff a year without being to critical of them.