Thad Lewis Is A Better Option Than EJ Manuel Right Now

Bryce Paup

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but with totally different logic...I think this lets Hacket open up the play book. He doesn't have to "protect" Lewis like he's been doing with Manuel. They're taking the learning approach with EJ and letting him progress. With Lewis, I think there is less concern because if he screws up, no one will care.

I say, throw the kid to the Bengals. Let him toss the rock around the field, take shots, take risks...if he loses, who'd have expected any different?

I thought the same thing. He got his receivers blown up about 10 times on that "highlight" reel.

In any event, watching it, I feel more comfortable with Lewis playing. He seems like he will do an okay job, which is all we can ask from a back-up QB.

Yep.....

I thought the same thing. He got his receivers blown up about 10 times on that "highlight" reel.

In any event, watching it, I feel more comfortable with Lewis playing. He seems like he will do an okay job, which is all we can ask from a back-up QB.

Yes, and the few times he tried to deliver the ball more than 10 yards down the field, he was wildly off-target. And he always, always went to his first read. I don't think I would hand Thad the keys to the franchise, at least based on that film study.

I personally hope he can just keep the chains moving and then get help from our running game.....just keep getting first downs until you reach the end zone.....

Our defense is (or nearly) fully healthy......Thad has a strong supporting cast to help him.

Just need to stay afloat for another 3 weeks.....find a way to win

I started hearing a lot of good things about him, giving me cofidence the last couple days but,

After watching that, he scares the hell out of me!

Footwork as questionable as Manuels, laying out recievers as stated above, off target frequently, picks!

Now not so confident, but hope he can surprise me.

I love this thread title, even tho Thad has yet to take a regular season snap in a Bills uniform.

I'll say this about Thad Lewis. He sounds very confident and he has performed OK in a live NFL game...so i actually do expect him to maintain EJ's very average to mediocre level of QB play. If Thad improves on that level of play, it's a huge bonus, obviously.

This is a good point. Plus our D is starting to improve and get healthy. I think we have a good shot at winning.

Even though the Bills running game has done well this season...they still ask EJ to throw mostly in obvious passing situations. Against the Jets it was ridiculous. Hopefull they allow Thad to throw a few short passes on 1st down, when things are a little easier....loosen things up and get him some confidence. If he is only asked to throw on 3rd and 9, 3rd and 7, etc.. he is set up to fail.

Reminder: EJ has started more NFL games and booked more NFL game time than Thad has.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rU2o1dqLZuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know a lot of people are gonna disagree with me. but when I watch this tape from what he did against the Steelers #1 defense last year. I see a player who reads the entire field and delivers the ball on time. yes he made a couple of bad reads but overall he made very good decisions with the football. EJ may have a bigger upside than Lewis but Lewis is still young too at only 25, If the offense is more productive with Thad I'd say we ride with him til the end of the season

http://youtu.be/rU2o1dqLZuw

I love this thread title, even tho Thad has yet to take a regular season snap in a Bills uniform.

I'll say this about Thad Lewis. He sounds very confident and he has performed OK in a live NFL game...so i actually do expect him to maintain EJ's very average to mediocre level of QB play. If Thad improves on that level of play, it's a huge bonus, obviously.

Any thing is better than a rookie right now No matter where he was taken !!

Even though the Bills running game has done well this season...they still ask EJ to throw mostly in obvious passing situations. Against the Jets it was ridiculous. Hopefull they allow Thad to throw a few short passes on 1st down, when things are a little easier....loosen things up and get him some confidence. If he is only asked to throw on 3rd and 9, 3rd and 7, etc.. he is set up to fail.

The running game set up the beautiful play action TD to Woods. Offense is not perfect but with new OC, QB and WR not that bad.

Good thread. I wouldn't be surprised if he does well. As long as little Natey Hackett takes the training wheels off the playbook that he keeps on for EJ.

Remember when EJ said the offense was "basic"? Turns out he wasn't lying, our offense is about as vanilla as our defense was last year. I'm hopeful for Thad Lewis and hope he can play well enough to where we'll be competitive, though I fully expect Hackett to run at least 60% of the time. This game will be won or lost by our defense and run game.

Yes, and the few times he tried to deliver the ball more than 10 yards down the field, he was wildly off-target. And he always, always went to his first read. I don't think I would hand Thad the keys to the franchise, at least based on that film study.

I know the ship has sailed on this, but Tuel's ability to throw accurate deep passes is what would have really been intriguing to see. I think what the staff will do with Lewis is just what we saw in that film. Quick passes, roll-out playaction, some read-option. In between that, we'll see our favorite shotgun run right, left's into the back of the linemen.

I started hearing a lot of good things about him, giving me cofidence the last couple days but,

After watching that, he scares the hell out of me!

Footwork as questionable as Manuels, laying out recievers as stated above, off target frequently, picks!

Now not so confident, but hope he can surprise me.

Bone,

He threw 1 pick.....to Palamalu.....to a defense that was considered the best at the time....on the road