WGR NHL v NFL

WIDE LEFT

Gee last time I checked the NFL was far and away the most popular sport in America. By light years. And we are lucky to be only one of 32 cities in the entire US with an NFL franchise. So how is that reflected on WGR, the flagship station of the Bills? Well from 10 till noon today we had a talk show devoted exclusively to the very very mediocre Sabres. Jim Rome from noon to 3. At three pm Snoop and the Puppy dog come on and talk exclusively about the Sabres for the first hour and a half. Four and half consecutive hours devoted to a mediocre franchise in the NHL in October! While we are in the heart of the NFL season.

My theory is they do this because the 3:00 pm guys are uncomfortable with the NFL, because they know so little about football and have never bothered to develop a source (ex coach, executive) to help them along. Snoopy and his puppy dog have seriously suggested on several occasions that the Bills draft a QB in every one of the 7 rounds of the NFL draft. Seriously. I guess if thats the level of your football knowledge, you probably should stick to the NHL, even if its October, 70 degrees and your hockey team sucks.

I know, I know - don't listen to them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee last time I checked the NFL was far and away the most popular sport in America. By light years. And we are lucky to be only one of 32 cities in the entire US with an NFL franchise. So how is that reflected on WGR, the flagship station of the Bills? Well from 10 till noon today we had a talk show devoted exclusively to the very very mediocre Sabres. Jim Rome from noon to 3. At three pm Snoop and the Puppy dog come on and talk exclusively about the Sabres for the first hour and a half. Four and half consecutive hours devoted to a mediocre franchise in the NHL in October! While we are in the heart of the NFL season.

My theory is they do this because the 3:00 pm guys are uncomfortable with the NFL, because they know so little about football and have never bothered to develop a source (ex coach, executive) to help them along. Snoopy and his puppy dog have seriously suggested on several occasions that the Bills draft a QB in every one of the 7 rounds of the NFL draft. Seriously. I guess if thats the level of your football knowledge, you probably should stick to the NHL, even if its October, 70 degrees and your hockey team sucks.

Umm, we are one of the Biggest Hockey Markets. Check the ratings my friend!

Seriously, there are way better options. I gave up listening to that college radio station prior to training camp. I always had a disdain for some of the shows, but it's the local sports station so I had put up with it. For a few years I listened intermittently, but over the summer the commercials were so bad and the lack of real sports talk was getting so annoying that I decided enough was enough. I have probably listened for a total of an hour over the last three months and I couldn't be happier. I don't even miss the Bills talk. I can get enough of that here or elsewhere on the web.

If you're a sports fan Sirius is a very wise investment. NFL radio is phenomenal, all the national shows from ESPN, CBS and Fox are available, there's a fantasy football channel and, even though I was never a fan, Howard Stern has totally captured me.

It absolutely amazes me the difference in hockey coverage in Buffalo. I live in Cbus and the Jackets are our only pro franchise. In the season, they get an hour on our main sports radio channel each Sunday morning at 10 (read: no one listening) and an hour coach's show on Wed. night. Other than that, nothing in the off season and very little talk at all outside of those shows even during the season. I stream WGR in the off season and they are talking Sabres for 1-2 hours each weekday! Buffalo is really a great hockey city. Cbus. Not so much.

We are a very big hockey market. However, if they decided what to talk about based on TV ratings the proportion would be 4:1 Bills:Sabres, maybe more. Look, the station is very interested in promoting hockey. They should be, they have the broadcast rights.

I'm a huge hockey fan. I have season tickets, I love the NHL and I do want to hear about hockey. However, the sheer amount of hockey talk, the frustration I have with the Sabres and the overall annoying sound of that radio station has turned me off. Maybe I'm the only one. I doubt it though.

Gee last time I checked the NFL was far and away the most popular sport in America. By light years. And we are lucky to be only one of 32 cities in the entire US with an NFL franchise. So how is that reflected on WGR, the flagship station of the Bills? Well from 10 till noon today we had a talk show devoted exclusively to the very very mediocre Sabres. Jim Rome from noon to 3. At three pm Snoop and the Puppy dog come on and talk exclusively about the Sabers for the first hour and a half. Four and half consecutive hours devoted to a mediocre franchise in the NHL in October! While we are in the heart of the NFL season.

Dude you are so right on. I agree with you 100%.

It annoys me to no end that I turn on GR after 3PM to get my Bills fix and within 2 minutes they are talking about the Sabers. I am a Sabers fan too, but to be honest, until it starts snowing out, I don’t even think about hockey.

I change the station. It sucks because I never listen to morning sports radio. It is always the afternoon ride home kind of thing for me.

And to be honest, I don’t think I am in their target market for their show. The intelligence level of that show is like they are catering to high school kids or something where everyone sits around giggling and farting. It is just too immature for me.

And I don’t really respect the opinions of the hosts either. Well, I do respect Bulldog a bit, but not Schopp. In fact I recall hearing Schopp (about 2 years ago on the same afternoon show) say something to the effect that he didn’t even really like football. He basically made it sound like he wishes he never had to talk about it. He said he would rather cover tennis and golf. That was the point where he squashed any respect I had for him as a football commentator. Knowing how Schopp is I am sure he would deny ever saying that. I guarantee it is in an archive somewhere though because I heard him say it live and I was shocked. I’m like “Dude….why are you in this business in Buffalo if you are not a huge football fan?”

I actually used to like him on the radio in Rochester back before his WGR days. I think he was on 1280 WHTK in Rochester back then. His commentary was much better. And he was okay when he was paired up with Chuck Dickerson. Now his commentary lacks professionalism to say the least.

Bob Mathews out of Rochester makes these guys look like amateurs. If you can get it where you live, you should try tuning in after 6PM on WHAM 1180 out of Rochester. Much, much better Bills coverage even though they also cover many other sports like baseball. He used to have Fred Smerlas on all the time too. Really good intelligent coverage of the Bills.

I don’t blame GR for trying to cover the Sabers a lot. I just wish they would dedicate shows to either hockey or football instead of mish-mashing them. It would be nice if I knew that I could reliably get good Bills coverage on a station every weekday afternoon during the drive home from work.

The best coverage is the John Murphy show. But he isn’t on when I am listening to the radio.

... the overall annoying sound of that radio station has turned me off. Maybe I'm the only one. I doubt it though.

I try my best (not really) to be open minded when I listen to their morning and afternoon shows, but they sound so sophomoric and uninformed, it's tough to find something nice to say. No clue how this Howard Simon guy got his own show; he's neither uber-knowledgeable about sports nor interesting, entertaining or endearing. In short, he's as exciting as a wet rag. Jeremy White is O.K., but he's got a snootiness about him that being a hot shot in a small marker can create. I think the Joe Buscaglia spots are good, however, and are the only redeeming aspect of the whole morning program. Oh and Howard Simon ought to listen to real talk show hosts from time to time and he might learn how to do an interview without sounding like a novice.

The over-aged frat boys in the afternoon...well, don't even get me started. First, the name of the show: Is this supposed to be a rip-off of Mike and Mad Dog? Just terrible, regardless. And the two hosts sound too much alike--they could probably eliminate one of them and nobody would notice. You listen to these guys and you can just tell they think their crap doesn't stink. Again, the big fish-small pond complex. A dash of humility and a non-douchey sense of humor aren't against FCC regulations, fellas. Much like their morning counterparts, this show is bereft of any entertainment value. If PBS had a sports talk program, it would look like a rock concert compared to this dreck.

In closing, no, you're not the only one.

yeah. But is hockey even a sport anymore? It's like the 6th most popular in the country at best.

Football

NASCAR

Baseball

Basketball

Golf

Tennis???

MMA???

So that's like saying Buffalo is one of the most popular at the weakest sport in the US.

The Bills get ratings in the 30's-40's, the Sabres get about an 8 (which is outstanding in the NHL)Locally. With that being said the Bills should get 4 times the coverage. Yes, I know that the Sabres play more games but the weekday Bills game was still over a 30. I like the Sabres and all but they do not need their equal share of coverage in October with an 0-3-1 record. If you want to spend a few minutes on them everyday that is fine but the main topics should be Bills related based on interest.

Jeremy White would talk Hockey 24/7/365 and their Canadian program director almost lets him. Worst show on the radio is their Hockey Hotline between 10-12. Two clowns with nothing to talk about in the summer and during the strike last year, It was painful to listen to. The worst part about that show is all of the name dropping of hockey people no one else has ever heard of. Oh wait, Kevin's girlish giggle and Andrew's movie quotes are the worst part.

Edited by ET1062

Yeah, I cant stand that 10-noon hockey show on WGR. It would make a much better work day for me if they moved John Murphy there.

agree. Listening to Jason Peters is like listening to yourself get dumber and dumber and dumber... He might be the biggest idiot I've ever heard in my life. There's nothing worse than inside jokes that nobody knows being talked about so that everyone can hear. He does that alot. And he acts like because he played hockey in the NHL he really k ones what he's talking about. He was probably the worst hockey player of all time. He wasn't even a good brawler. At least Ray won. This guy would constantly get his @$$ kicked on a nightly basis.