WGR NHL v NFL

WIDE LEFT

Every year...

WGR covers both sports well. There are three Sabres games this week, and there was no Bills game. What do you expect?

To address a couple of items above: Whether NASCAR, NBA, etc. are more popular than the NHL nationwide doesn't matter. WGR is a local station, and those sports are not more popular than the NHL here. By this logic, WGR should cover more soccer and cricket because of worldwide popularity.

Also: Yes, Andrew Peters is tough to listen to. But if you're going to call him stupid, at least remember the difference between a hockey player and a football player. It's Andrew, not Jason.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about it, I wonder why the NFL doesn't have its own radio station in every NFL city in America?

And why doesn't the NHL have the same thing in every NHL city in America?

Think about it.

If you had an AM radio station that covered your team 24/7 and anything happening in the league that was relevant to your team, wouldn't you listen?

I would listen to a dedicated Bills station on and off all day long especially during the football season.

I would have about 4-5 predetermined live shows throughout the day and just replay those shows back to back in the evening and overnight.

Having a dedicated station like that would really help the team deepen its relationship with the fan base (make them more loyal) and also help them increase the size of the fan base within the listening area.

Just a thought.......maybe I am crazy.....If colleges can afford to run radio stations I am sure the Bills and Sabres have deep enough pockets to run one of their own too.

The more I think about it, I wonder why the NFL doesn't have its own radio station in every NFL city in America?

And why doesn't the NHL have the same thing in every NHL city in America?

Think about it.

If you had an AM radio station that covered your team 24/7 and anything happening in the league that was relevant to your team, wouldn't you listen?

I would listen to a dedicated Bills station on and off all day long especially during the football season.

I would have about 4-5 predetermined live shows throughout the day and just replay those shows back to back in the evening and overnight.

Having a dedicated station like that would really help the team deepen its relationship with the fan base (make them more loyal) and also help them increase the size of the fan base within the listening area.

Just a thought.......maybe I am crazy.....If colleges can afford to run radio stations I am sure the Bills and Sabres have deep enough pockets to run one of their own too.

I think the NFL could but the NHL isn't popular enough.

Um, that would be Andrew Peters, but I'm sure you probably knew that already.

They also have Andrew Peters on with Rueben Brown on channel 2 after the news Sunday night. They talk about the Bills game that day. What jackass down @ channel 2 thought putting Peters on to talk about the Bills game was a good idea? My 4 year old daughter knows more about football then he does.

Yeah, but the Sabres suck.

Got to agree. Even the most diehard Sabres fan has to admit this is going to be a lost season. I don't know if they will win a game all year.

Edited by Gordio

I'll listen or watch national shows about the NFL all day because i care about the other teams/players and what's going on in the league. I won't even listen to Sirius NHL channel in my car. I'm a big hockey fan but just don't care about any team other than Buffalo. And i can't even listen to Sabres talk for more than an hour or so.

I think I'm like alot of people regarding hockey vs football.

Every year...

WGR covers both sports well. There are three Sabres games this week, and there was no Bills game. What do you expect?

To address a couple of items above: Whether NASCAR, NBA, etc. are more popular than the NHL nationwide doesn't matter. WGR is a local station, and those sports are not more popular than the NHL here. By this logic, WGR should cover more soccer and cricket because of worldwide popularity.

Also: Yes, Andrew Peters is tough to listen to. But if you're going to call him stupid, at least remember the difference between a hockey player and a football player. It's Andrew, not Jason.

well. Both are big dumb idiots. At least I got that right. Excuse me for typing Jason Peters. In currently active in 2 different threads, concerning guys named Peters.

Andrew is an idiot and I'd tell him that to his face if I ever met him. He constantly talks about things that have nothing to do with hockey. He makes inside jokes that nobody listening would know about. And he talks like he's a former hockey player. He's not. He was a fighter on skates. He has less respect and knowledge of the game than many informed fans. His personal experiences with the team and league do not reflect real hockey players and their experiences. He's a waste of space on the radio. They would be better off having Colin Cowherd on during those times.

well. Both are big dumb idiots. At least I got that right. Excuse me for typing Jason Peters. In currently active in 2 different threads, concerning guys named Peters.

Andrew is an idiot and I'd tell him that to his face if I ever met him. He constantly talks about things that have nothing to do with hockey. He makes inside jokes that nobody listening would know about. And he talks like he's a former hockey player. He's not. He was a fighter on skates. He has less respect and knowledge of the game than many informed fans. His personal experiences with the team and league do not reflect real hockey players and their experiences. He's a waste of space on the radio. They would be better off having Colin Cowherd on during those times.

As much as I cannot stand Peters and Sylvester, at least they're not Cowherd. Peters, at least, is good for a "inside the dressing room" anecdote now and then. I'm not sure what Sylvester is for.

Isn't Cowherd available on 1520 now anyway?

As much as I cannot stand Peters and Sylvester, at least they're not Cowherd. Peters, at least, is good for a "inside the dressing room" anecdote now and then. I'm not sure what Sylvester is for.

Isn't Cowherd available on 1520 now anyway?

no idea where cowherd is available. If I knew I would definitely rather tune in there.

My issue with Perers is that he's not connected to this team. Hasn't been for years. And he honestly donlesnt know about "real" hockey players. His own experiences were never that. They were always limited to getting his @$$ kicked on ice.

no idea where cowherd is available. If I knew I would definitely rather tune in there.

My issue with Perers is that he's not connected to this team. Hasn't been for years. And he honestly donlesnt know about "real" hockey players. His own experiences were never that. They were always limited to getting his @$$ kicked on ice.

1520 is now ESPN Buffalo, so if you're local, you can listen to Colin talk about Tony Romo for three hours daily beginning at 10 am. You're getting 3, three, THREE fantastic hours of Colin, and not the meager two that WGR used to give you.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

1520 is now ESPN Buffalo, so if you're local, you can listen to Colin talk about Tony Romo for three hours daily beginning at 10 am. You're getting 3, three, THREE fantastic hours of Colin, and not the meager two that WGR used to give you.

awesome. I'd rather hear about Tony Romo all day long than 3 minutes of Andrew Peters act all high and mighty over callers because they clearly have no idea way it's like being in an NHL locker room. Or his opinions on why movies he thinks are good or not.

Last I checked, it's sports radio, not Andrew Peters' personal talk how to speak about whatever he wants.

Thanks. Learn something new everyday. 1520 here I come.

awesome. I'd rather hear about Tony Romo all day long than 3 minutes of Andrew Peters act all high and mighty over callers because they clearly have no idea way it's like being in an NHL locker room. Or his opinions on why movies he thinks are good or not.

Last I checked, it's sports radio, not Andrew Peters' personal talk how to speak about whatever he wants.

Thanks. Learn something new everyday. 1520 here I come.

There's another local sports station somewhere in the 1200s now, too. I may start moving to that at 10am.

As someone who grew up playing and loving hockey, I just can't get into like I used to. Maybe it's the season's too long. Or they have no real personalities (mostly good guys who are just boring). Plus, how do you breakdown 1 game of an 82 game season? The Sabres should shoot more?

Face it, football is just much, much more interesting. We are a great hockey city and the playoffs are amazing. But nothing makes me change what I'm listening to faster than Sabres' talk.

As someone who grew up playing and loving hockey, I just can't get into like I used to. Maybe it's the season's too long. Or they have no real personalities (mostly good guys who are just boring). Plus, how do you breakdown 1 game of an 82 game season? The Sabres should shoot more?

Face it, football is just much, much more interesting. We are a great hockey city and the playoffs are amazing. But nothing makes me change what I'm listening to faster than Sabres' talk.

this x1,000,000,000,000...

An 82 game season and your only what? 5 games in right now? There's plenty of time to talk about hockey throughout the rest of the year. Why ruin you talk show spending too much time with how bad the Sabres have been after 5 games when you could be talking about your new head coach. Coordinators. New QB that's injured. New backup quarterback that's playing. One of your 2-3 rookie of the year candidates in EJ, Kiko, Woods. Hell, anything is more exciting than hearing Schoop and the Bulldog talking about burning down the whole thing and starting from scratch with this hockey team. Just yesterday, Schoop asked what Bulldog would think if they traded Miller, Vanek, Stafford, Ott, Myers. He didnt give any serious thought to who you would trade for, or if a trade of that magnitude would even ever happen. It was simply a hypothetical would you trade them all. What kind of crap question is that? Yeah, sure, ill trade them all for Gretzky and Lemiux in their primes and bring Hasek out of retirement and make him play he used to during our last Cup race. Crazy stupid hypotheticals can be turned around but of a fan were to call in and say something like that, they would hang up in them in a heartbeat. Then talk about how ridiculous that caller was. Well, don't bring up ridiculous hypotheticals if you don't like it.

Edit: please excuse any rambling on and on and lack of paragraphs.

Edited by mrags

My theory is they do this because the 3:00 pm guys are uncomfortable with the NFL, because they know so little about football and have never bothered to develop a source (ex coach, executive) to help them along. Snoopy and his puppy dog have seriously suggested on several occasions that the Bills draft a QB in every one of the 7 rounds of the NFL draft. Seriously. I guess if thats the level of your football knowledge, you probably should stick to the NHL, even if its October, 70 degrees and your hockey team sucks.

It's not that. Schopp doesn't care about hockey at all, and Parker is just a casual homer of all sports.

It's because the higher ups at WGR have a long history of working with the Sabres, and a poor history with Ralph and his yesmen. They had to pull teeth just to get the current deal with the Bills, despite being the only real sports network in the area.