Why wasn't Lewis EJ's backup?

gjv001

Fact, most every team in this league is screwed if there starter gets hurt. Especially in the middle of the game. How many good backup QBs are there in the league?

Yeah...and you can throw in that it was a short week with a Thursday game. Few backups are going to shine in that scenario. It's a bit unfair to judge Jeff Tuel on Thursday. That being said, I think Marrone is just hoping to throw an athlete out there in Lewis and see if he can make some plays that are not otherwise in the 'Tuelbox'. It could be ugly, but it also sets up for a great story if Lewis plays well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HELLO !!! WOW this crew seems to have less of a clue in some respects than Chan did . At least if Chan chose a QB he stuck with them to not screw them up !

If i was Tuel i would be asking for a trade , these guys were so high on him this preseason giving him praise at every turn but they throw him into a game on a short week with little if no reps & expect miracles just like all of the fans i don't get it .

If you were Tuel youd be asking for a trade???? Do we owe this guy ANYTHING? No. How did he perform vs he browns? HORRIBLY.

Last time i checked, this is a performance driven league. You might only get one chance to step in and do your job and you better be ready. Tuel landed flat on his face.

Hes lucky to still be on the team. I wouldve cut him before i cut the punter.

HELLO !!! WOW this crew seems to have less of a clue in some respects than Chan did . At least if Chan chose a QB he stuck with them to not screw them up !

If i was Tuel i would be asking for a trade , these guys were so high on him this preseason giving him praise at every turn but they throw him into a game on a short week with little if no reps & expect miracles just like all of the fans i don't get it .

If you were Tuel youd be asking for a trade???? Do we owe this guy ANYTHING? No. How did he perform vs he browns? HORRIBLY.

Last time i checked, this is a performance driven league. You might only get one chance to step in and do your job and you better be ready. Tuel landed flat on his face.

Hes lucky to still be on the team. I wouldve cut him before i cut the punter.

because neither was ever a good option. they gambled and lost and were left without any other good options. this makes how many qb's in the last 15 years. and how many have found success elsewhere? yup, neither of these two will either.

The fact that they thought Tuel gave them any chance to win is disturbing.

So you don't think that the guy that was in camp since OTA's and for the entire pre-season gives you a better chance to win than someone who was with the team for less than a week? And you don't believe now that Lewis knows the playbook and has been with the team a couple of months means that maybe he might now be the better choice than Tuel. Makes perfects sense to me. I can't understand why so many people are having such a hard time understanding the decisions. They are well thought out and perfectly logical.

Its like people forget all that has happened to get us here. We didn't pick Tuel over any one... We picked Kolb. Kolb got hurt and we picked up What we could (Thad) after that. I understand Tuel being the backup as well. Tuel had the same knowledge of the playbook as EJ.

I will take the argument that Lewis came into the fold late. But, if Lewis was on the PS because he was not ready as of Thursday last week, what makes him ready and better than Tuel today? 3-4 days have made that much difference considering they did not practice over this weekend ? Putting it another way, if Lewis is ready over Tuel today, why was Lewis on the PS for the Browns game with Tuel as backup ?

Something does not add up in my mind.

I'm guessing because they didn't want to risk putting Tuel on the practice squad incase some team picked him up after his one good half against Colts scrubs.

I'm guessing you didn't watch him last week.

That was embarrassing. His performance, his composure, he was literally whining like a child.

I'm guessing the reason is this: Lewis was brought in towards the end of Preseason, so he was still be familiarized with the playbook, and if EJ wasn't ready to go, Tuel was here the entire off season and therefore had more familiarity with the playbook and time to build rapport with the players....and they believed EJ could stay healthy, so Tuel could sit on the sidelines and learn along side the coaching staff and be mentored by Marrone et. al. Now, Lewis has had a couple of months to learn the playbook and build rapport with players and they need someone who can lead the Offense confidently and has similar attributes EJ has, i.e. escapability, and Lewis is their guy for that right now....I don't think it's back-peddling, I think it's timing...Lewis came in at the end, Tuel knew the playbook better in Week 1, and it would give Tuel time with Marrone and his staff to coach him up...Lewis is more experienced and now has the other tangibles necessary to lead the team...this was no shock to me as Marrone favors promoting his own players and values knowledge of the system and the scheme over all else....either way, let's see what happens.

I will take the argument that Lewis came into the fold late. But, if Lewis was on the PS because he was not ready as of Thursday last week, what makes him ready and better than Tuel today? 3-4 days have made that much difference considering they did not practice over this weekend ? Putting it another way, if Lewis is ready over Tuel today, why was Lewis on the PS for the Browns game with Tuel as backup ?

I agree that there is no difference. However, this move (to me) strictly revolves around Tuel sucking against the Browns to a degree that the coaching staff did not imagine. As a rookie backup the coaching staff essentially had no idea how Tuel would respond if he had to go in there in an emergency. Tuel can look great in practice, he can know the playbook, etc. But until he actually went into a live game that counted, no one knew how he would do.

After seeing what he did do (which was an abomination), the coaching staff figured it would be better to give someone else a shot. Here comes Lewis.

Can we blame the coaching staff for having Tuel as the backup? Maybe. Sure. But when the alternative is Lewis, we can't be shelling out THAT much blame. They figured Tuel would be ready and he clearly wasn't. Tuel was not able to step up to the plate - which is also partially his fault. They were wrong - much the same way they could be wrong this week if Lewis comes in and throws 3 INT's vs the Bungals. :bag:

In other words. When you go "all-in" on EJ and have horse manure for backups, this kind of scrutiny ensues.

Life as a Bills fan.

Edited by bobobonators

our secondary getting healthy certainly helps with regards to managing a 53 man roster - with mckelvin (i know he played but was beat up), brooks, gilmore, and byrd returning it frees up a roster spot that was at a premium a week ago.

likely atleast part of why it was managed the way it was.

Edited by NoSaint

This tells of what they want to do on offense in my opinion. Read options, roll outs, safe throws and the QB scrambling. With all our defensive personnel coming back this week it shows you their thinking against a very tough Bengals team.

Hoping to squeeze by this week on the defense's back. If so, EJ will already have close to three weeks rest by Game 2.

I agree that there is no difference. However, this move (to me) strictly revolves around Tuel sucking against the Browns to a degree that the coaching staff did not imagine. As a rookie backup the coaching staff essentially had no idea how Tuel would respond if he had to go in there in an emergency. Tuel can look great in practice, he can know the playbook, etc. But until he actually went into a live game that counted, no one knew how he would do.

After seeing what he did do (which was an abomination), the coaching staff figured it would be better to give someone else a shot. Here comes Lewis.

Can we blame the coaching staff for having Tuel as the backup? Maybe. Sure. But when the alternative is Lewis, we can't be shelling out THAT much blame. They figured Tuel would be ready and he clearly wasn't. Tuel was not able to step up to the plate - which is also partially his fault. They were wrong - much the same way they could be wrong this week if Lewis comes in and throws 3 INT's vs the Bungals. :bag:

In other words. When you go "all-in" on EJ and have horse manure for backups, this kind of scrutiny ensues.

Life as a Bills fan.

They didn't have a reason to activate Lewis until now. They realized Tuel was not going to be able to do it after the Browns game and they made the move. There may not have been that much difference between the two in practice, but the game performance led to the decision.

So you don't think that the guy that was in camp since OTA's and for the entire pre-season gives you a better chance to win than someone who was with the team for less than a week? And you don't believe now that Lewis knows the playbook and has been with the team a couple of months means that maybe he might now be the better choice than Tuel. Makes perfects sense to me. I can't understand why so many people are having such a hard time understanding the decisions. They are well thought out and perfectly logical.

I agree

What am I missing? Would you not have the player you feel gives you the best chance to win as your back up and not on the Taxi Squad.

Bottom line: they just f*cked up royally signing Kevin Kolb. Every indicator possible told them it was a very bad idea but they did it anyway. Should have kept Tarvaris Jackson. Should have kept Levitre. They are the could've and should've team of the NFL because they are the team that never achieves.

As for the apologists.....every year a few teams go from very bad one year to very good the next....and often stay there for a while. The Bills are never in that group because of their careless approach. It's no mistake. There is no sense of urgency. When Jauron got here they actuallly STARTED to rebuild in year 2. When Gailey got here they gave away the first season to "evaluate" the roster. Both of those regimes were undone by unnecessarily bad starts.

Marrone inherited a team with good enough talent to be a playoff team with the addition of a decent QB and a solid draft. Simple as that. Instead they lost Levitre, got in a pissing match with their All Pro safety shed some other useful talent and now, despite what appears to be a solid draft they have put their new, unproven head coach in a position where he is liable to start out his NFL career with a losing record for no reason.

They didn't have a reason to activate Lewis until now. They realized Tuel was not going to be able to do it after the Browns game and they made the move. There may not have been that much difference between the two in practice, but the game performance led to the decision.

Yup, I agree.

In short, if Tuel had stepped up and at least been able to MOVE the offense a bit, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion right now. He forced Marrone's hand by looking as bad as he did. Is it fair for Tuel? I don't know and I don't really care to be honest. I just want to win.

Edited by bobobonators

Lmao at the drama queens...

This really isn't complicated people:

A) Lewis was not ready to play week 1, he did not know the offense. So they felt Tuel was the more game ready of the two.

B) Tuel would have been more attractive on the PS to other teams at that point than Lewis.

C) Tuel has proven in the preseason game and this game that he is not any where close to ready to start a game in the NFL.

D) They brought in FA QB's and clearly decided that none of them would be a better option than Lewis, probably because Lewis knows the offense and they wouldn't.

Bills have done nothing wrong here and done exactly what they should have done which was search for the most ready option to play this week and commit early to that to give him the most reps.

Kolb was going to be the backup until he had a career threatening concussion.

Why is any if this puzzling to anyone? People act like Steve Young should be waiting on our bench to take over for Montana here. I mean Geezus Christ, this team just gutted its QB position and is rebuilding it...FREAKING RELAX ALREADY. You can't fill every hole in one season, especially have two QBs from none who are legit starters. Hard enough to find one, let alone two.

This team is headed in a great direction, seems to have had a great draft, and the D is finally getting healthy.

Lmao at the drama queens...

This really isn't complicated people:

A) Lewis was not ready to play week 1, he did not know the offense. So they felt Tuel was the more game ready of the two.

B) Tuel would have been more attractive on the PS to other teams at that point than Lewis.

C) Tuel has proven in the preseason game and this game that he is not any where close to ready to start a game in the NFL.

D) They brought in FA QB's and clearly decided that none of them would be a better option than Lewis, probably because Lewis knows the offense and they wouldn't.

Bills have done nothing wrong here and done exactly what they should have done which was search for the most ready option to play this week and commit early to that to give him the most reps.

Kolb was going to be the backup until he had a career threatening concussion.

Why is any if this puzzling to anyone? People act like Steve Young should be waiting on our bench to take over for Montana here. I mean Geezus Christ, this team just gutted its QB position and is rebuilding it...FREAKING RELAX ALREADY. You can't fill every hole in one season, especially have two QBs from none who are legit starters. Hard enough to find one, let alone two.

This team is headed in a great direction, seems to have had a great draft, and the D is finally getting healthy.

I'm pretty much on the same page with your statement.