Let The House Vote Mr. Speaker!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/schumer-to-boehner-prove-that-a-clean-cr-won-t-pass

Let the people's representatives have a chance to register their choice. This Boner is going to wreck the whole economy just to save his job? That's horrible! But what do you expect from a Republican

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) challenged Speaker John Boehner's (R-OH) contention Sunday that "there are not the votes in the House to pass a clean CR" and reopen the government.

"Well, first, the speaker said there aren't the votes on the floor to re-open the government. Let me issue him a friendly challenge. Put it on the floor Monday or Tuesday. I would bet there are the votes to pass it," Schumer said on ABC's "This Week" appearing just after Boehner. "We have just about every Democrat, 21 Republicans have publicly said they would. There are many more Republicans who have said that they privately would."

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey OP, why do you refuse to answer my response to your statement? Is it because you boxed yourself in a corner and now are royally !@#$ed no matter which way you answer? How do you like being the laughingstock of PPP? Has anyone here ever agreed with you on anything?

Does anyone blame Nicholas Longworth for the Great Depression?

Does anyone blame Carl Albert for the 70s Stagflation?

Does anyone blame Tip O'Neil for Carter's Malaise?

Does anyone blame Tom Foley for the early 90s Recession?

Does anyone blame Dennis Hastert for the Recession following the Dot Com bubble?

Does anyone blame Nancy Pelosi for the Great Recession?

History doesn't blame Recessions on the Speaker of the House. Obama might want to keep that in mind...

Does anyone blame Nicholas Longworth for the Great Depression?

Does anyone blame Carl Albert for the 70s Stagflation?

Does anyone blame Tip O'Neil for Carter's Malaise?

Does anyone blame Tom Foley for the early 90s Recession?

Does anyone blame Dennis Hastert for the Recession following the Dot Com bubble?

Does anyone blame Nancy Pelosi for the Great Recession?

History doesn't blame Recessions on the Speaker of the House. Obama might want to keep that in mind...

But history blames Reed Smoot and Willis Hawley for the worsening of the Great Depression.

So if Boehner's position is that he won't bring "it" to a vote, and Reid's and POTUS' position is that they won't compromise, any reasonable person must conclude that all blame falls on Boehner....that bastard....and the Democrats are as pure as the driven snow.

I read late this afternoon that Boehner is also to blame for the closing of Lock E13 on the Erie Canal.

Edited by Keukasmallies

So if Boehner's position is that he won't bring "it" to a vote, and Reid's and POTUS' position is that they won't compromise, any reasonable person must conclude that all blame falls on Boehner....that bastard....and the Democrats are as pure as the driven snow.

I read late this afternoon that Boehner is also to blame for the closing of Lock E13 on the Erie Canal.

Boehner was the 20th hijacker. Bush was on the grassy knoll.

I'm sorry gatorman, what does this have to do with the economy?

The debt limit? Rising interest rates would be really bad, or don't you agree with the experts? Or will you ask more questions?

Will the speaker do the ultimate partisan act and ignore the will of the sane majority?

Compromise on what?

The debt limit? Rising interest rates would be really bad, or don't you agree with the experts? Or will you ask more questions?

Will the speaker do the ultimate partisan act and ignore the will of the sane majority?

Compromise on what?

Is the Constitution meaningful?

Let the Senate vote, Mr. Reid !!!

What are YOU and Chuckie Schumer afaid of ?

It's like they think they are being clever, with the "Let the house vote thing".

It's hilarious, though, because your response is instantly what comes back.

Do they really think that they are "winning" with this? So far, with all of the ironic "government shutdown" stories, my favorite being "93% of EPA employees are non-essential", the Federal government is being exposed as the boondoggle-laiden, insane, or, the "unemployable elsewhere" asylum that it is.

I want another 3 weeks of this. :lol: Every story that is supposed to be a vehicle for "RepublicanBad"...has unintentionally turned into an iroinc commentary on the uselessness of these government people, and/or the Media gets exposed for being a cheering section for Democrats.

The funny part is: they think things like the OP...are going to be remembered, and not the officially stated fact...that only 7% of the EPA is essential.

By all means, keep it going!

Since when did you, /dev/null, begin pandering to low information voters?

Rise above it you turkey lurkey!

:D

Nice one. Edit: No, I'm being serious. Sorta like asking to see Huey Long's chickens.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Your link didn't say anything about raising the debt ceiling. It was a vote to "re-open" the government. And my point was that having the government closed for a week or so is not going to be disastrous for the economy.

Edited by Chef Jim

Your link didn't say anything about raising the debt ceiling. It was a vote to "re-open" the government. And my point was that having the government closed for a week or so is not going to be disastrous for the economy.

I'm not so sure. Those 500, 000 federal employees are getting a paid vacation--in addition to their normal vacation. Won't some public "servant" union reps convince the different federal department heads that they need overtime to make up for the lost work? On top of that, federal employees who are considered "essential" are now manning previously unmanned sites/memorials to insure that the public can't use them. Then again NPS employees have been told to make this government shutdown as difficult as possible on the public. Then again, people like Crocofschitboy freely admit in another thread that he didn't read your link but felt justified in disputing you because it was "just politics". I used to think that the far out groups that lived in compounds in Idaho were crazy, what with their thoughts regarding the federal government. They're making a lot more sense now.

I just looked that up, for obvious reasons... ;-) Interesting, The must be doing some kinda rehab and it can't be done in the winter.

Anyway... Wow, sounds like a great business opportunity for a guy with a flatbed semi and a hoist! He'd make a mint!

You know, that issue you didn't mention earlier...

Raising the country's debt ceiling? What is their to compromise about? :blink:

Oh, you didn't know about the debt ceiling? If he can get votes to put the government back to work he can do it to stop a credit default.

Question: You do agree that not raising the debt ceiling would be terrible, or is that all just liberal media hype?

Here is what I don't get:

It seems like there are always arguments about raising the debt ceiling. It could be a Republican president and a Democratic congress or a Democratic president and a Republican congress. It doesn't seem to matter, there is always an argument. Anyway, it is like a wife that wants to increase the credit line on the card to get the kitchen re-modeled and the husband screams about it. The next year, the husband wants to do the same thing to get a new boat and the wife gets mad. It just leads to stress and there is diminished activity in the bedroom.

Here is what I don't get: Why is there a debt ceiling at all? We just keep raising it and raising it. Why not make it unlimited? That way there would be no more arguments.

Here is what I don't get:

It seems like there are always arguments about raising the debt ceiling. It could be a Republican president and a Democratic congress or a Democratic president and a Republican congress. It doesn't seem to matter, there is always an argument. Anyway, it is like a wife that wants to increase the credit line on the card to get the kitchen re-modeled and the husband screams about it. The next year, the husband wants to do the same thing to get a new boat and the wife gets mad. It just leads to stress and there is diminished activity in the bedroom.

Here is what I don't get: Why is there a debt ceiling at all? We just keep raising it and raising it. Why not make it unlimited? That way there would be no more arguments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_debt-ceiling_increases

nice overview. It was created before we went off the gold standard

http://en.wikipedia....iling_increases

nice overview. It was created before we went off the gold standard

Your link says we raised the limit 90 times last century. That is basically once a year like the husband and wife. That is 90 arguments that could have been avoided. The debt ceiling itself was a modification to the prvious system. Let's just modify the ceiling to infinity and be done with the arguing.

Oh, you didn't know about the debt ceiling? If he can get votes to put the government back to work he can do it to stop a credit default.

Question: You do agree that not raising the debt ceiling would be terrible, or is that all just liberal media hype?

The fact that we have to raise the ceiling or default is the terrible part. Explain to us again how this is just like paying your mortgage.

In March 2006, then-Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., found the notion of raising the debt ceiling quite distasteful.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure," he said. "It is a sign that the U.S. Government ca'’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. … Leadership means that ‘'he buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit."

He did. It passed narrowly – by a vote of 52-48.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/04/obama-2006-vs-obama-january-2011-vs-obama-april-2011-on-the-debt-ceiling/

Edited by Nanker

The fact that we have to raise the ceiling or default is the terrible part. Explain to us again how this is just like paying your mortgage.

Agreed, its stupid. It's like a mortgage with an expanding family and income. Our population and economy keeps rising and our credit limit has to keep up. Could you raise a family buy a home with a loan limit from circa 1970? Can you understand that?

In March 2006, then-Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., found the notion of raising the debt ceiling quite distasteful.

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,” he said. “It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

He did. It passed narrowly – by a vote of 52-48.

http://abcnews.go.co...e-debt-ceiling/

That Congress passed it though, right?

Agreed, its stupid. It's like a mortgage with an expanding family and income. Our population and economy keeps rising and our credit limit has to keep up. Could you raise a family buy a home with a loan limit from circa 1970? Can you understand that?

that analogy is false. congress uses baseline budgeting every year when passing a budget, which automatically adds around 7% (currently) to the annual budget to account for inflation and other factors.

and the senate hasn't even passed a budget for over 4 years, because that would force them to actually enumerate their proposed expenditures for the rest of the nation to see. instead they hide behind continued resolutions to fund their agenda. pathetic.

that analogy is false. congress uses baseline budgeting every year when passing a budget, which automatically adds around 7% (currently) to the annual budget to account for inflation and other factors.

and the senate hasn't even passed a budget for over 4 years, because that would force them to actually enumerate their proposed expenditures for the rest of the nation to see. instead they hide behind continued resolutions to fund their agenda. pathetic.

You proved my point without even knowing it, thanks!

You're analogy sucks but why am I not surprised at that.

A family grows and so does their income. A family that bought a home in 1993 is now making a lot more money and that is why they can afford a more expensive house ie, a greater mortgate. Compare that to our ever growing population. More people, more workers, more workers, more taxes, more taxes means more income for the government. However the government will always spend way above and beyond it's income limit. The family that is constantly spending more than they make for years and years will eventually find themselves much poorer and in a much smaller house than when they started or worse yet, living under a briged. THAT'S what's going on in this country with our government

if you think so then you are infinitely more mentally bereft that I had presumed you to be.

He can't/won't even answer my simple question asking him if the he thinks the Constitution is meaningful. He's the worst poster here since DiN or Ducky.

That Congress passed it though, right?

Yes. It did with his help. No Congress is bound by the actions of another. That's why they all run dfor election every two years - so if a **** bag of doughnuts gets rammed through by a temporary majority the next Congress can change the law to SERVE THE WILL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. Yes, elections have consequences and we did not elect a king.

You're analogy sucks but why am I not surprised at that.

A family grows and so does their income. A family that bought a home in 1993 is now making a lot more money and that is why they can afford a more expensive house ie, a greater mortgate. Compare that to our ever growing population. More people, more workers, more workers, more taxes, more taxes means more income for the government. However the government will always spend way above and beyond it's income limit. The family that is constantly spending more than they make for years and years will eventually find themselves much poorer and in a much smaller house than when they started or worse yet, living under a briged. THAT'S what's going on in this country with our government

You are arguing that a family today can live off of a credit limit that was established say back in 1960, or 1970? No, credit limits of families and governments go up as inflation rises. How can't you understand that? Yes, the government will ALWAYS spend more than it takes in, so what??? You are arguing for a balanced budget, can I ask why? What benefits will that provide?

Whack-a-Mole can get very old.

You two should talk to each other more, I don't think anyone else pays much attention to your posts.