Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless we get a 1st rounder for him, we need to franchise him again on principle. Then he can only blame his agent for trying to screw us over.

That's really bad business though. In an imaginary world that might be OK, but sitting on an asset in spite is not the way to get your team back into the playoffs.

Noway you get a first rounder for him. Secondly tag him next year. Bryd will be 29 years old by the time his new contract starts . Let someone else over pay. The bills would have paid him a two year fully gaurenteed 15 million dollars for him. If he was playing that is fair market value

Edited by Tintonfallsbillsfan

So we think the Broncos would be wise to trade for him? Who else? Can we make a legit list, as I am curious who might be an option based on their need and nothing else. From there you can look and see who would reasonably trade for him.

Broncos

Giants

San Fran

....?

Sorry, but that is just wrong. Byrd is a consensus top three safety in this league and he is definitely a difference-maker. And the Bills must think so too, or they would not have franchised him. It's debatable what his trade value is, due to health issues and uncertain contract situation, but it's not out of the question that the Bills could get a no. 1 pick for him. I would guess there are multiple teams that would surrender a second-rounder for him. They key is whether teams believe they will be able to reach a long-term deal with Byrd after the season is over.

Bird has only been a pro bowl participant as an alternate.

Pro Bowl means nothing, Byrd is regarded around the league as the top FS alongside Weddle.

i think hes really good too, however he wasn't even voted in the top 100 last year by his own peers....ik people are going to say its a popularity contest but i think it means a little more

i think hes really good too, however he wasn't even voted in the top 100 last year by his own peers....ik people are going to say its a popularity contest but i think it means a little more

that was nothing but a popularity contest

It is not a great time in the league for safeties. There was a time when Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed were all in their primes and all legitimate DPOY candidates and top 25 in the league type players. That wave of great, impactful safety play is what caused the terrible Donte Whitner pick. Byrd would have been well down the list of safeties in those days but today he is one of the very top safeties in this league. Not in their class, but that level of safety play is not available at this time in the NFL. As an aside, smart teams know that impact safeties are hard to find......and at the same time not really worth the effort it takes to find them......and they have taken advantage of the lack of Steve Atwater/Dennis Smith type combos and have focused their offenses more on TE play where they can get matchups against the relatively weak safety crop in the NFL today.

Sanders, polamolu, Ronnie Lott, ed reed. If they were coming up in today's league they would have to carry blank checks for the hits they'd be delivering. Lott would not make the HOF in today's league. Polamula would be suspended every other week. Sanders would be flagged twice a game. Reed would get a season suspension.

We shouldn't move him for anything less than a 2nd rounder. I say stay firm on a first rounder but nothing less than a second if there aren't any buyers

Agreed, but I'm guessing a lot of potential suitors are waiting to see how he performs, once he gets on the field.

Let him play this season, tell Parker the Bills offer after the season if doesn't accept tell him Byrd is getting the tag next season and that the minimum compensation is 2 2nd round picks or a 1st. Then Parker can go shop Byrd around knowing what the Bills want in return. If no one offers adequate picks Byrd can either sign the Bills deal or play under the tag again.

There is no reason to trade him for a 3rd or 4th now.

It is not a great time in the league for safeties. There was a time when Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed were all in their primes and all legitimate DPOY candidates and top 25 in the league type players. That wave of great, impactful safety play is what caused the terrible Donte Whitner pick. Byrd would have been well down the list of safeties in those days but today he is one of the very top safeties in this league. Not in their class, but that level of safety play is not available at this time in the NFL. As an aside, smart teams know that impact safeties are hard to find......and at the same time not really worth the effort it takes to find them......and they have taken advantage of the lack of Steve Atwater/Dennis Smith type combos and have focused their offenses more on TE play where they can get matchups against the relatively weak safety crop in the NFL today.

If Byrd could cover the Gronks/Grahams of the NFL, he'd be worth what he's looking for.