Bills QB search - Dixon, White visit, Carr talked with, Freeman out

Wow I thought for sure Freeman would go to Oakland. What happened that that's a no go now? Seemed like they wanted him and were ready to appoint him as the starter over Pryor and basically Pryor would be playing for his life tonight

It's still a possibility.

If Freeman was just looking for a place to start a few games to prove his worth, he'd be a Bill right now.

He isn't so that must mean he's looking for something more than just being a stop gap.

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's add some logic here.

Premises:

1. Freeman's #1 goal is to latch on someplace long term, and get back to making starting QB money, because he has starting QB opportunity, yes, but also, reasonable starting QB assistance from the rest of the team.

2. Freeman's #2 goal therefore, and it's a progressive goal, in order, is to: prove he can play at the NFL level, prove he's not the reason for Tampa's troubles, prove that he can be trusted with the ball, prove that his is a good QB, prove that he is an MVP level QB.

3. Some teams have better opportunities than others long term, however, some teams have better opportunities in the short term.

Freeman's goals...are they oriented towards the long term, or short? I would argue both, but, he needs to turn this around as fast as possible. He DOES NOT WANT to wait until next year, because doing that means going through a training camp battle, and that, in and of itself, lowers his value.

No. That is stupid. Therefore, just because there may be longer term opportunities to play, that are better than the Bills? That is no reason for Freeman to not consider playing with the Bills. In fact, it's an idiotic reason. Consider: Jags, Vikes, whoever. Do any of them have a better D than the Bills? Do any of them have a better PASSING supporting cast than the Bills. (The Vikings have AP...no schit...how does handing off to AP improve Freeman's situation?) Do any of them have head coach/offensive coordinator that are as likely to put things on Freemans' back, immediately? No, No and No.

So, again, in the short term, who is going to give Freeman the ball more often, and in better situations, so he can prove 1 and 2?

Which team is most conducive to Freeman acheiving his short term goals? I would say the Bills are, more than any other team. The objective for Freeman is to sign a one year deal, shine here, and then starting a bidding war in the off-season. Unless he really thinks he can change minds on EJ. In either case, this is about getting into a place and changing ALL minds about Josh Freeman, immediately.

All this? And I don't even want Freeman here. And, no, the FO are not idiots if they don't sign Freeman. And, no, you wanting Freeman doesn't mean you know football, or know it better than them. In fact, there's a good chance you want Freeman for the wrong reasons, and therefore, you don't know football at all. Thus, your opinion on the FO is entirely: worthless.

If they don't bring in Freeman, it's because there "premises" do not match his. If so, it would be illogical to bring him in. After many many years of this team being run on emotion, and not thought(see: drafting McGahee and Losman), I would think we would welcome the logical approach.

This. For the Bills, potential of 2 good ones strongly increases the chances you will have a franchise QB. Could still be EJ in the end, but we've got to find a franchise guy. 2 young talented QB's would be a great situation.

I agree. EJ has not proven he is a franchise QB yet. We all want him to be, but he may not improve as much as we hope/think he will, or worse, prove to be injury prone (hmm why would anyone think that is possible...). I don't see what's wrong with a real competition for starting QB, and Josh Freeman is a more proven QB than the others mentioned.

I think that if Tuel starts against the Bengals, he will do well enough to keep the likes of Pat White, or Dennis Dixon (or any run first QB available) on the bench.

The Bengals just shut down Brady and tuel showed nothing vs Browns. I think whoever they bring in will start vs Bengals.

I think that if Tuel starts against the Bengals, he will do well enough to keep the likes of Pat White, or Dennis Dixon (or any run first QB available) on the bench.

Tuel won't be starting. I think Marrone's comments spoke volumes after the game the other day. He may end up being a backup in the future but they are not ready to mail in the season. His performance against Cleveland will prevent him from getting another chance immediately. It was not all his fault but he was atrocious. He has zero arm strength and if he plays will see 11 guys in the box.

I know that he may not start. But whoever they bring in has to face the same Bengals defense. And if they've been on the street, there is no guarantee that they will immediately be any better than Tuel. Or that once they get to Buffalo, they will be able to run the offense any better than Tuel, on such short notice.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I know that he may not start. But whoever they bring in has to face the same Bengals defense. And if they've been on the street, there is no guarantee that they will immediately be any better than Tuel. Or that once they get to Buffalo, they will be able to run the offense any better than Tuel, on such short notice.

I would love to see Tuel (or anyone) succeed for buffalo, but I honestly think that a QB with the skill set and experience of Josh Freeman would outperform Tuel with 5 days to learn 10 plays.

I would love to see Tuel (or anyone) succeed for buffalo, but I honestly think that a QB with the skill set and experience of Josh Freeman would outperform Tuel with 5 days to learn 10 plays.

I didn't say Freeman wouldn't. He would be better than Tuel immediately.

I'm talking about the running guys, like Dixon and White.

I don't expect ANY of them to succeed right away, just to suck at different levels.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

That's where I'm at. Give me a guy with the physical skills to make some plays. Tuel just doesn't have the talent. He's smart and seems like a nice guy but give me some physical skills to work with. Freeman would be ideal but if they can't get him I am cool with White or Dixon.

I don't expect ANY of them to succeed!

Dixon was a better passer and thrower in college than Tuel ever was. So was White. I'm not sure White will be good enough in the NFL. I doubt that Tuel will be. IMO, the jury is still out with Dixon but time is running out from him. He has a much better skill set than Tuel does. Dixon can throw.

I don't expect ANY of them to succeed right away, just to suck at different levels.

The difference is that both White and Dixon can make a few plays. If they can't get Freeman they should look to those guys. This team will have to play good defense, run the ball, make a few big plays and convert some 3rd downs. I think that both White and Dixon are more capable of that than Tuel. Freeman is the guy if we can make it happen but the other options are better than what we have.

Be honest - how many people arguing freeman should start Sunday also have argued to hold Byrd out because he couldn't know the calls?

Any good safety in the league could come in and play with a week worth of preparation if the team and his teammates were deadest on getting him prepared to play a basic defense. And if it were just that one guy they could play a complex defense with the other safety telling him his duties right before the play.

Likewise, a 3-4 year QB, IF he were a smart guy, could come in and run a limited game plan in one week, better than playing with Jeff Tuel. It's obviously not ideal. But there only so many plays, and pattern trees, and concepts to learn. The Bills system is not a complicated one relatively. Freeman could play. It just wouldn't be an elaborate game plan.

We shall see. I'm not so sure that White or Dixon can surpass Tuel in 5 days.

He was 8-20 for 80 yards and a pick. Not to mention that he was being dared to throw and he still wasn't capable of making a play. He hurts the running game as well. It won't be hard to surpass what we saw Thursday. Those guys can both make some plays with their feet and have better arms. They can keep the chains moving better than Tuel.

Edited by Kirby Jackson