Positives from Tonight

Anyone who watched this team the past two weeks realizes this is the best Bills team we have seen in many years. They play tough football. They aren't perfect, but what team is? The rest of this season is about building momentum and getting EJ more reps (provided knee isn't serious), and if a few things break their way perhaps a wild card is a possibility.

Make no mistake, though -- this is not the Buffalo Bills we've suffered through for the past decade+. They're tough sonsabitches.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who watched this team the past two weeks realizes this is the best Bills team we have seen in many years. They play tough football. They aren't perfect, but what team is? The rest of this season is about building momentum and getting EJ more reps (provided knee isn't serious), and if a few things break their way perhaps a wild card is a possibility.

Make no mistake, though -- this is not the Buffalo Bills we've suffered through for the past decade+. They're tough sonsabitches.

Absolutely. This is a young talented team of honest to goodness football players. Even getting big plays from the 2s. Kiko is sick. That dive over the line and disruption was Lawrence Taylor like.

Woods-stud

Kiko- stud

Lawson-stud

Mario - stud (getting more consistant)

Md99- starting to live up to his potential

Spiller- stud

Fjax-stud

Stevie- worried about his injuries. He gets so open

Kyle-stud

Branch- good enough

Aw23-solid

If EJ can grow this year and stay healthy long term, the bills get Gilmore an Byrd back this team can play with anyone in the league.

Need upgrade at tight end and WR (or graham/Goodwin can get better) need Bradham to step up or upgrade at other LB spot and upgrades at DB/ lg.

great point Eball.

I'd also like to add to the people here posting about how the defense was horrendous in giving up 3rd downs:

I know it sucks and of course you'd like to see your defense be able to stop a 3rd and 18. But lets look and compare some of that to other NFL teams before we hang them all. It's the NFL. All the teams are good. They are at the top of their games. Teams give up 3rd and longs all the time. Teams make big plays down the field all the time.

I know we want to get bent out of shape but you don't hear the Chiefs fans complaining because they have up a huge play to Victor Cruz the other day.

How many times on Monday night football or any other game do you see amazing 4th quarter comebacks where the offense just drives right down the field at will to win the game? It happens all the time. It's not just us.

With this Sunday basically being a bye week, take a little time and watch some other games. Look at some of the huge plays that are given up and think about those plays being on this Bills team. You'll see it happens much more in the league than just us.

Were right on point with where we should be. Considering the circumstances of having basically our best 2 defenders out and 2 others playing out of position, we are doing pretty damn good.

I liked the fact that they fought like hell; they played like they meant to win in impossible circumstances.

That bodes well for a young group learning its way

Or play our asses off and then just take him with our 4th pick

Good point, Simon. It would have been easy, especially for the defense, to sag after EJ went down and Tuel started struggling. I take it as a positive, too. Something to build on going forward.

Bottom line is they've been in every game this season, regardless. Shades of '86 and '87. They are learning and still adding pieces.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills played tough despite all the injuries. The secondary was populated with 2nd stringers (okay, A. Williams is a starter - but not at CB). Both our star running backs were dinged up. Our star WR was out and we had 2nd and 3rd string WRs in the game. Our undrafted FA 3rd string QB (Kolb was our 2nd stringer) was in there at the end. And yet the game was still undecided at the 2 minute warning.

Under the circumstances, it's hard to complain about our OC or DC. Our STC, however, lost the game for us - and injuries didn't factor there.

Lots of positives as have been mentioned. Woods is the real deal, fantastic draft pick. Kiko was ridiculous last night

Positives (good idea)...

1. Kiko (does he have a ceiling?)

2. Mario (Killing it and being utilized properly and playing hurt.)

3. Dareus (Back in shape for his position and Eating up opponents)

4. Kyle (steady, mean on the field and can still get to the passer)

5. Woods (fights for the ball and excellent routes)

6. Lawson (Edge setting extraordinaire)

7. Freddy and Cj (gutting it out against a stout D)

8. Ej flashed some nice plays before the injury and didn't turn it over

Yup, all of this. Woods is turning out to be a fantastic pick; I can't think of many rookie WRs that look that good this early in a rookie year. There is more talent on this team than we've seen in a long time.

The 2d string secondary is going to hold them back for now, but if that group and EJ get healthy soon there is reason for optimism for the rest of this season.

Lots of positives as have been mentioned. Woods is the real deal, fantastic draft pick. Kiko was ridiculous last night

Yup, all of this. Woods is turning out to be a fantastic pick; I can't think of many rookie WRs that look that good this early in a rookie year. There is more talent on this team than we've seen in a long time.

The 2d string secondary is going to hold them back for now, but if that group and EJ get healthy soon there is reason for optimism for the rest of this season.

How can a rookie WR be so polished? Was his coaching that good at USC? I doubt it. The kid is just a natural, it seems. He gave Haden a test all night. Too bad we didn't have a QB that could help him out more.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't have time to read all the posts (European internet rates) so I apologize if anyone has mentioned this but it appears that the Coaching Brain Trust has figured out that when you're close to the goal line...give Freddy the damn ball.

How can a rookie WR be so polished? Was his coaching that good at USC? I doubt it. The kid is just a natural, it seems. He gave Haden a test all night. Too bad we didn't have a QB that could help him out more.

GO BILLS!!!

I think going to USC helped him; they run a pro style offense. What hurt most last night was Stevie getting hurt so pretty much all the attention shifted to Woods, and he still did pretty well against a top CB. But yes, he's a natural.

The Bills played tough despite all the injuries. The secondary was populated with 2nd stringers (okay, A. Williams is a starter - but not at CB). Both our

Under the circumstances, it's hard to complain about our OC or DC. Our STC, however, lost the game for us - and injuries didn't factor there.

The ST sucked last night and definitely contributed to the loss. However, too much blame is being placed on them and Tuel. The bottom line, like it or not, is that the Bills had a 7 point lead after Manuel was knocked out and after the ST mistakes. The D proceeded to allow the mighty Cleveland O to march down the field and score a TD, FG, & FG. If they shut the Browns offense down the Bills win the game.

It seems when the Bills most need a stop the D comes up small. In all three losses the team either had a lead or was tied in the 4th quarter and the D allowed the opposing team to move down the field for the winning points. Even in the Carolina win the D allowed the Panthers to march down field to put up 3 more points to pad their lead (and run 5:30 off the clock in the process.)

My point isn't that the D "lost" the game for the Bills but that they're being given a free ride. The ST, defense, and offense all contributed heavily to the loss. To try and blame a single unit - or player - is ridiculous.

Actually, they gave up 16 points...and that should have been plenty good enough to win if the Bills had not needed to turn to "Tool".

Actually, they gave up 23 points. But your point is correct.

My bad - I didn't see the whole game - was traveling. Glad to hear this about the D. Dareus, Kiko & all the Williamses have looked good. The offense will take a little longer to gel. Hopefully Manuel is OK and ready to go by next weekend. The injuries need to stop - 4 of our top 5 DB's, 2 of our top 3 receivers, a starting DL and now QB. It's a wonder we're not 0-5!

I think going to USC helped him; they run a pro style offense. What hurt most last night was Stevie getting hurt so pretty much all the attention shifted to Woods, and he still did pretty well against a top CB. But yes, he's a natural.

He's a natural AND he is a hard worker. USC surely prepared him well. It helped that he was one of the best high school players in the nation and he played three full years at USC as a starter. He had a ton of experience coming in. Great pick, great player, great guy.