I THINK MERRIMAN COULD HAVE THRIVED IN PETTINES D

And no other NFL team could use him?

Losman would have been great on a different team, Trent Edwards is a baller, deep down. Billy Joe Hobert was ruined by the Bills. Look what they did to James Hardy, Mike Williams was burning with desire, until Buffalo ruined his life. Poor Maybin, guy couldn't catch a break.

I know Shawne never got love in Buffalo but his ability could have been used to its potential in blitz packages.

He had lost too much of his explosiveness and at this point in his career he was nothing more than an average run stopper and below average pass rusher. Not worth wasting a roster spot on that.

I won't flame on ya. I agree. I think Merriman still had a lot in the tank. I think there are a lot of talents that can thrive in Pettines D. Hell Maybin did. So I suppose it's not really saying much.

He couldn't stay healthy!!!!!!

Fred Jackson 4ever: I just noticed you started like 4 all-cap threads today. I am worried about your blood pressure.

The hypothetical Merriman would have thrived in any defense. The real one was done.

I agree. Well I held on to the hope longer than most (and maintain that though a disappointment he had atleast some value) it's clear not even he believed in his body by the end. One of many guys to burn bright for a short period and make you appreciate the guys that can survive in the league long term.

ANYBODY(now that's the end of the caps) can thrive in this D, if they have NFL level abilities. That's because Pettine adjusts/designs things around the players he has, rather than trying to fit them into a system.

This is how a superior coach operates. Period.

This also pays huge dividends in terms of drafting defensive players. Rather than reaching down for guys, because the guys ahead of them aren't "system fits"(how we ended up with Maybin), you can take the BPA. You can also find value in other team's castoffs.

Here's an example: Brandon Burton steps in and makes a game-saving pass breakup in the 4th quarter against the Ravens. Huge play, helped win the game play. Yes, that Bradon Burton, the guy who had great cover ability, but, had a hard time in a cover 2 zone system.

All sorts of DB injuries? Let waiver-claim Burton play press, which is what he is good at, and, we win ball games.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I know Shawne never got love in Buffalo but his ability could have been used to its potential in blitz packages.

Welcome to the board. You might not want to use all caps in the future.

To the point of your post lights out became exactly that. Injuries cut him down and he no longer is what he was.