[closed]THE RETURN OF MR. 2011

If you look at Fred and honestly dont think he is the real guy to start then You are crazy. He can pass block better than cj, catch better than cj, run better routes, better precision, better vision, more power, and finally more football smarts I just dont understand the idea of the back up having more yards and yards through the air and sitting him I just want to see if im just drifting back to 2011 or that it's true. Freddy also has 5.5 yards a carry and is able to run in and outside

At this point in the season I'm perfectly ok with Freddy being the starting back and CJ filling in. It's what worked best a few seasons ago anyway. Should continue.

At the same time, I'm definitely acting the idea that whoever has the hot hand in games should be getting more touches. If Freddy is hot and tearing it up like he did late in the first half against Baltimore, then he should continue to get the ball to feed his hunger.

Same goes for CJ. If he's just hot, like he was at the beginning of the Baltimore game, he should keep getting it.

It's a great problem to have. An ill be the first to say I was wrong about Freddy being done. He's showing he's still strong as ever when it comes to taking over games.

It's still his injuries I worry about. Just 4 games in and he's already got a sprained knee. One of the reasons I still think he should be limited if possible. A healthy Freddy at the end of the year in the cold when games mean more is very important.

Fred is just the better guy he still needs a viable back up in there but CJ I just dont think is the right guy in buffalo a guy like Trent or Marshawn would be nice to have for the future but fred maybe be the most complete back but his injury history is a true problem

Edited by FredJackson4Ever

It's fans and the media that made an issue over how many touches CJ gets. Meanwhile Fred is the consummate team leader doing whatever is asked of him with maximum effort. There is no reason both Fred and CJ can't share the backfield.

PTR

This is an interesting debate, but all theoretical.

It's pretty clear that Fred (due to age) and Spiller (due to his build) can't carry a full load.

They need to simply divide up the touches to keep each guy healthy.

I'd like to see something like 10-15 touches for each guy, and then throw Choice in there for 5-6 touches.

First off.....who doesnt love Freddie Jackson.....the total professional.....he has still got it....and he loves being a Buffalo Bill. What I wouldnt give to have him earlier in his career....

BUT

You dont need to degrade CJ in order to compliment FJ......Freddie has lost his sideline speed....he does NOT have better vision....he has better patience following his blocks and is better after contact.

He is NOT a better pass catcher the CJ.....

That is why he should be getting these up the middle carries.

Freddie Jackson = Mr. Dependable...sure but steady

CJ Spiller = a threat to score every time he gets the ball in space

CJ Spiller is still in a learning process. It will be another year or two until I think he begins to hit his climax. Then I do not know how good he will be but I do know what he is right now. He has had a rough year but there are a lot of reasons he has struggled - not all of them his fault. I think we need to see a lot more of CJ Spiller. I think he needs to be involved in the passing game and that is hard to fathom. He was used in previous seasons because a lack of WR's but we have some pretty solid guys there now.

I want Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller on the field at the same time. I want I-formations, T-formations, pro sets and single and double wings. If you can put these guys in the backfield then put CJ to wideout in motion you are going to create a mismatch. You want read-option? You have one there. Pass to CJ, Woods or SJ13...or handoff to FJ or EJ keeps it.

If you want the most out of Fred Jackson you need the most out of his teammates. He is at a point in his career where he needs to avoid touches if possible and prolong his career for when he is needed.

I don't agree at all with this.

The fact is we don't know much about anything when it comes to RB on this team, other than Choice is #3, and we could do better there, IMHO. The reason we have Choice is: we can't have rookies/2nd year players in the majority at every single position.

Regarding Fred/CJ?

It's WAY too early to make sweeping conclusions about either. Let's see where we are 4 games from now on this.

CJ Spiller is still in a learning process. It will be another year or two until I think he begins to hit his climax. Then I do not know how good he will be but I do know what he is right now.

This is a troubling thing to suggest. CJ Spiller is the only RB in NFL history who needs a learning curve. This is a position-- with maybe the exception of having to pass protect-- that almost all RBs can come in and know what they're doing right away. That Spiller needs 5 years to figure it out is troubling.

Really not a debate I want to have, but the one thing the OP said and is "spot on" is Freddy can block. Good grief he put on a clinic in that game against Baltimore.

No, you wont see it in the stats, or any of that fantasy jargon but thats a huge benefit that many fans dont seem to realize.

If you look at Fred and honestly dont think he is the real guy to start then You are crazy. He can pass block better than cj, catch better than cj, run better routes, better precision, better vision, more power, and finally more football smarts I just dont understand the idea of the back up having more yards and yards through the air and sitting him I just want to see if im just drifting back to 2011 or that it's true. Freddy also has 5.5 yards a carry and is able to run in and outside

I agree. If you count Spiller's yards running left and right he's got Freddy beat by a mile.

This is a troubling thing to suggest. CJ Spiller is the only RB in NFL history who needs a learning curve. This is a position-- with maybe the exception of having to pass protect-- that almost all RBs can come in and know what they're doing right away. That Spiller needs 5 years to figure it out is troubling.

Disagree in certain running styles - like cjs. He was used to being able to just outrun people and is now learning to read blocks, make smart moves etc... In college he was almost too gifted and is now learning the nitty gritty. For guys that were between the tackles in college I think that transition is lessened

First off.....who doesnt love Freddie Jackson.....the total professional.....he has still got it....and he loves being a Buffalo Bill. What I wouldnt give to have him earlier in his career....

BUT

You dont need to degrade CJ in order to compliment FJ......Freddie has lost his sideline speed....he does NOT have better vision....he has better patience following his blocks and is better after contact.

He is NOT a better pass catcher the CJ.....

That is why he should be getting these up the middle carries.

Freddie Jackson = Mr. Dependable...sure but steady

CJ Spiller = a threat to score every time he gets the ball in space

Love you John, but vision wise, Fred is superior to CJ. I think his vision as a ball carrier is superior to most nfl RBs. Now, that's not saying Cj has bad vision, but Fred has him beat in that department IMO. It's one of his strengths as a RB.

I don't care who starts. It really means nothing except who gets the first couple carries. After watching both play this season, it seems as if defenses are keying more heavily on CJ this year. I'm happy with a 50-50, 60-40 (60 to the hot hand) split. We have 2 very good RBs. Enjoy them, they won't be around forever. Just hope the OL can keep opening up holes for them.

Even when fans are complimenting Freddie, they are still selling him short. He's always being described as the "dependable", "professional" guy who "might not have the explosivenessof CJ", yadda yadda yadda. While that's all nice stuff, I don't think those kind of statements do his game justice - those are the kind of words you use to describe someone like a David Nelson or a Scott Chandler - guys who don't screw up much but don't exactly light it up either.

Freddie lights it up all day long. He is a unique talent and a truly exciting player to watch.

Edited by skibum