Scouting the Cleveland Browns

Week 5 vs Cleveland Browns

1) Jordan Cameron is my #1 concern. He is a legitimate stud. He is on pace for 120 receptions, 1400 yards and 20 TD's. And it is no fluke. He will beat your #1 CB with speed one on one. He will take a corner who has him blanketed, by using his 6-5 250 pound body to shield himself from the defender and make a play on the ball. And lastly, he has superb ability to extend his hands and make a play on the ball before the ball has a chance to come near the defender.

Let's examine the following play.

Cameron is lined up man to man on Taylor Mays.

hz3FFG5.png

This is a simple fade route, and he is covered well. But watch him extend his arms toward the back shoulder pass and pull in the Touchdown.

XodLjeK.png

Now let's look at him in a bit of a different situation.

On this play, he is asked to run a hook. The yellow line is the 1st down marker. A less cerebral player would have ran to the marker and made his hook.

DanzTjv.png

But not Cameron. He is very intelligent. He knows that with 3 Bengals defenders behind him and at a short distance, he will get clobberd and possibly lose the ball on any pass to him at the 1st down marker. There is also a good chance for an interception.

So instead, he splits the LB's and makes his hook in a soft zone, past the 1st down marker, where he hauls in the catch.

1J8FAQg.png

Plays like these may not seem like a big deal, but they make a big difference throughout the game. This is smart football. Something us Bills fans have yelled at our receivers for not doing for many years in the past.

2) With all of that said, how do we stop him?

The Patriots way. That's how.

Anyone watch NE neutalize Gonzalez in the last few minutes of the NE-Atlanta game on Sunday Night? Here is how:

jahrcnB.png

As Collinsworth pointed out, it looks like Gonzalez is the gunner on a punt.

And the Refs have made it abundantly clear, that they are not going to call on a penalty on this in the first 5 yards.

xQ110bC.png

You jack Cameron up enough with 2 players in the first 5 yards and he will be a non-factor in the red-zone. Up until the red-zone, a CB with a safety shadow should

do the trick.

3) As far as Hoyer goes, i'm not concerned. Maybe that's being ignorant, but i'm just not. Reason being, he reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's a gunslinger. He will chuck the ball around the field

and if the defense is not ready for it, he can carve you up. BUT, he will make errant throws. He will make poor decisions. And Pettine has showed that he knows how to handle players like Fitzpatrick.

By, well, handling Fitzpatrick for many many years with the Jets.

This throw reminded me a bit of an EJ Manuel throw (agains the Jets). He led his receiver... about 15 feet out of bounds.

nwi8xPr.png

And on this throw, he shows a complete lack of judgement throwing into double coverage.

wOxdXbU.png

I could see this being an easy interception for our secondary.

4) As far as the defense goes, I'm not going to lie and make some stuff up here to fill space. I spent little time watching the defense. On a full week, I watch the offense for a few days and the defense for a few days.

Because this is a short week, I don't have the same amount of time. If anyone wants to add in their defensive comments on the Browns, please do so!!!

GO BILLS!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron will be used well because the Browns' OC is Norv Turner. We all saw how Turner used the athletic Antonio Gates for the last 6-7 years. Cameron is a younger version of Gates. He will be a top tier TE in this league along with Jimmy Graham. That being said, if we get pressure on Hoyer the rest will take care of itself.

Has the Browns D faced the hurry up offense yet this year? Honest question, just curious. I know how good they are.

Cameron will be used well because the Browns' OC is Norv Turner. We all saw how Turner used the athletic Antonio Gates for the last 6-7 years. Cameron is a younger version of Gates. He will be a top tier TE in this league along with Jimmy Graham. That being said, if we get pressure on Hoyer the rest will take care of itself.

We also saw how he Norv used (aka abused) Rivers. All of a sudden Rivers is good again. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Browns fans take on the game...

http://thebrownsboar...showtopic=26902

PTR

Sounds just ike this board.

they seem pretty level headed. Whoever the dbag Bills fan was in there pissed me off.

Lets hope our players work hard and the coaches come up with a good game plan. I forgot all about the Indians playing Weds night. the dog pound will be rocking a little more on Thursday if the Indians win Weds.

The D needs to step up and Pettine needs to dial pressure up on Hoyer. Force him to give the Bills the ball. Sounds like Hoyer will take chances, lets hope our guys are in the right place to make him pay.

on offense get Woods and Chandler involved EARLY. Mix in the run and later use play action with EJ under center.

This sets up to be a good game against two evenly matched teams. To me it is a pick'em .

The battle for Lake Erie is on. With Pitt being down the winner of this one claims the rust belt title! Ha

I read a Browns/Steelers thread. Man their utter disdain for the "Shitzburgh Squeelers" out does any Patriot hatred I've seen here. Cant blame them though. I have recently developed a very strong disliking of the Steelers and their fans too.

Which one of you was that trolling the Browns/Bills thread? Don't be an ass!

I like this post:

BUT... both Spiller and Jackson got hurt (sprained ankle, sprained knee, short week). Both will try to play but at well below 100%. Could be a problem for them, especially against the best run defense in the entire NFL (2.9 YPC)

I know they are hurting but Ravens were in the top 5 in run D last week and that didn't matter.

I like this post:

BUT... both Spiller and Jackson got hurt (sprained ankle, sprained knee, short week). Both will try to play but at well below 100%. Could be a problem for them, especially against the best run defense in the entire NFL (2.9 YPC)

I know they are hurting but Ravens were in the top 5 in run D last week and that didn't matter.

Also best run defense in the NFL after 4 games. In which they've given up 5 rushing TDs.

Week 5 vs Cleveland Browns

1) Jordan Cameron is my #1 concern. He is a legitimate stud. He is on pace for 120 receptions, 1400 yards and 20 TD's. And it is no fluke. He will beat your #1 CB with speed one on one. He will take a corner who has him blanketed, by using his 6-5 250 pound body to shield himself from the defender and make a play on the ball. And lastly, he has superb ability to extend his hands and make a play on the ball before the ball has a chance to come near the defender.

Let's examine the following play.

Cameron is lined up man to man on Taylor Mays.

hz3FFG5.png

This is a simple fade route, and he is covered well. But watch him extend his arms toward the back shoulder pass and pull in the Touchdown.

XodLjeK.png

Now let's look at him in a bit of a different situation.

On this play, he is asked to run a hook. The yellow line is the 1st down marker. A less cerebral player would have ran to the marker and made his hook.

DanzTjv.png

But not Cameron. He is very intelligent. He knows that with 3 Bengals defenders behind him and at a short distance, he will get clobberd and possibly lose the ball on any pass to him at the 1st down marker. There is also a good chance for an interception.

So instead, he splits the LB's and makes his hook in a soft zone, past the 1st down marker, where he hauls in the catch.

1J8FAQg.png

Plays like these may not seem like a big deal, but they make a big difference throughout the game. This is smart football. Something us Bills fans have yelled at our receivers for not doing for many years in the past.

2) With all of that said, how do we stop him?

The Patriots way. That's how.

Anyone watch NE neutalize Gonzalez in the last few minutes of the NE-Atlanta game on Sunday Night? Here is how:

jahrcnB.png

As Collinsworth pointed out, it looks like Gonzalez is the gunner on a punt.

And the Refs have made it abundantly clear, that they are not going to call on a penalty on this in the first 5 yards.

xQ110bC.png

You jack Cameron up enough with 2 players in the first 5 yards and he will be a non-factor in the red-zone. Up until the red-zone, a CB with a safety shadow should

do the trick.

3) As far as Hoyer goes, i'm not concerned. Maybe that's being ignorant, but i'm just not. Reason being, he reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's a gunslinger. He will chuck the ball around the field

and if the defense is not ready for it, he can carve you up. BUT, he will make errant throws. He will make poor decisions. And Pettine has showed that he knows how to handle players like Fitzpatrick.

By, well, handling Fitzpatrick for many many years with the Jets.

This throw reminded me a bit of an EJ Manuel throw (agains the Jets). He led his receiver... about 15 feet out of bounds.

nwi8xPr.png

And on this throw, he shows a complete lack of judgement throwing into double coverage.

wOxdXbU.png

I could see this being an easy interception for our secondary.

4) As far as the defense goes, I'm not going to lie and make some stuff up here to fill space. I spent little time watching the defense. On a full week, I watch the offense for a few days and the defense for a few days.

Because this is a short week, I don't have the same amount of time. If anyone wants to add in their defensive comments on the Browns, please do so!!!

GO BILLS!

Wow, thanks. Good analysis. In particular I've always thought the best way to deal with a stud receiver is to double-bump him at the line. I'd have one guy hit him straight on, another from the side, knock him down, disrupt timing. Particularly with a new QB like Hoyer, that should cause significant issues for the offense.

I am not scared of the Browns offense. They cannot handle a strong defense. If the Bills continue to play D the way they have to this point, Cleveland won't put more than few measly pts on the board. The real question is how will our offense match up on the road against a good defense. I think the pressure is all on the Browns. All the Bills have to do is stay focused and we walk away with a solid win.

Also best run defense in the NFL after 4 games. In which they've given up 5 rushing TDs.

Bill's have given up 1 rushing, 8 in the air. Browns have 5 rushing and 2 in the air on D.

I really don't know if that defense stacks up the way that everyone thinks it does. They are gonna be Baltimore all over again. No running game and pass all day.