Wilfork has torn achilles

Dean Cain

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't root for injuries, but that's a huge blow to them (or should be). In my estimation, after Brady, he's their most important player. I hate the guy (on the field) for some of the crap he's pulled over the years, but he's a great player, probably one of the 2-3 best NT's in the League. Off the field, believe it or not, it sounds like he does some good charitable work, so I'll give him props for that, with an asterisk (of course) for the stories of him and that booster at the U--from a story I read on that last year it sounded like Big Vince squeezed that guy for all he was worth when he was a 'Cane....

Interesting take by a Pats* fan over at their forum. May be seeing the end of an era:

Originally Posted by RI Patriots fan viewpost.gif

I hate to say this but looking at the facts, this could be the last we see of Vince Wilfork in a Patriots uniform if this injury is season ending.

"No way", you say.... but I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Seymour. Here are some of the facts:

1.) Wilfork has not played well this year....not at all. Maybe he was injured maybe not, but he hasn't been listed on the injury report other than "foot" and he was listed as probable.

2.) Wilfork seems to be very out of shape this year. During the 2012 season he entered the season in much better shape. This year he looks much heavier.

3.) In his career, I don't remember him ever having to rehab from a major injury.

4.) Wilfork will be 33 years old next November.

5.) According to "Over the cap", Wilfork will count $11.6 million against the cap next year. Of that, $8.0 million could be saved, if he was cut or traded.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

Forget your homer-fan love for Wilfork for a second and look at this like a cold hearted Patriots executive.

Wilfork will be 33 years old next season. He will be coming off a major injury during which he can't work out (at least with his legs) but he can eat.

Do you see him being more explosive being a year older, coming off a major injury, and being out of shape...or less explosive?

Is the Vince Wilfork of next year at 33 years old worth $8 million???

I say no....and I was thinking this before the injury.

Unless he is willing to take a major paycut I don't see Wilfork playing for the Patriots....again.

This details my first reaction exactly. It will be hard for him to come back from that kind of injury. Even if he does one would have to question his effectiveness over the long haul.

I don't root for injuries, but that's a huge blow to them (or should be). In my estimation, after Brady, he's their most important player. I hate the guy (on the field) for some of the crap he's pulled over the years, but he's a great player, probably one of the 2-3 best NT's in the League. Off the field, believe it or not, it sounds like he does some good charitable work, so I'll give him props for that, with an asterisk (of course) for the stories of him and that booster at the U--from a story I read on that last year it sounded like Big Vince squeezed that guy for all he was worth when he was a 'Cane....

Interesting take by a Pats* fan over at their forum. May be seeing the end of an era:

Originally Posted by RI Patriots fan viewpost.gif

I hate to say this but looking at the facts, this could be the last we see of Vince Wilfork in a Patriots uniform if this injury is season ending.

"No way", you say.... but I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Seymour. Here are some of the facts:

1.) Wilfork has not played well this year....not at all. Maybe he was injured maybe not, but he hasn't been listed on the injury report other than "foot" and he was listed as probable.

2.) Wilfork seems to be very out of shape this year. During the 2012 season he entered the season in much better shape. This year he looks much heavier.

3.) In his career, I don't remember him ever having to rehab from a major injury.

4.) Wilfork will be 33 years old next November.

5.) According to "Over the cap", Wilfork will count $11.6 million against the cap next year. Of that, $8.0 million could be saved, if he was cut or traded.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

Forget your homer-fan love for Wilfork for a second and look at this like a cold hearted Patriots executive.

Wilfork will be 33 years old next season. He will be coming off a major injury during which he can't work out (at least with his legs) but he can eat.

Do you see him being more explosive being a year older, coming off a major injury, and being out of shape...or less explosive?

Is the Vince Wilfork of next year at 33 years old worth $8 million???

I say no....and I was thinking this before the injury.

Unless he is willing to take a major paycut I don't see Wilfork playing for the Patriots....again.

MattM, I would have to agree with you 100% on this. As a play I hate the guy also, but as an off the field human being, he's a decent person. I too never root for injuries, no matter who they are and how much I hate their team. This will be a huge blow to their defense even if he is able to come back this year (which I seriously doubt) he will never be the same player.

BigPappy

This.

Celebrating any injury lacks class and humanity.

I hope he is able to end his career on his own terms. I'd prefer he never plays against the Bills again ... but I hope he heals properly and quickly.

I would agree. I would love to play him at the end of the year (not possible now) and have Wood destroy him play after play and knock his fat a** on the ground. BTW, what was up with the BS "unnecessary roughness" call on the Bills O-line for blocking a guy trying to get up in the shoulder. That was infuriating. That guy gets up, he's 2 steps from EJ. Call would never have been made if Marsha Brady was the QB.

I would agree. I would love to play him at the end of the year (not possible now) and have Wood destroy him play after play and knock his fat a** on the ground. BTW, what was up with the BS "unnecessary roughness" call on the Bills O-line for blocking a guy trying to get up in the shoulder. That was infuriating. That guy gets up, he's 2 steps from EJ. Call would never have been made if Marsha Brady was the QB.

They may have even given the guy a medal for making the block

hate him as a player... but really don't like seeing injuries like this happen at this stage of a player's career.

Hate to be a sap, but hoping for a full recovery. (Id be lying if I said there isnt a loud part of me happy the Pats are losing another important piece though...)

Dont they have a Wilfork clone in training?

i was kind of in this boat as well, but didnt want to be the only to say it. as much as i dont like the pats, or wilfork, its never exciting to see a guy potentially end his career on an injury.

Huge loss for them. Lilkely the end of his career.

theres a reason why brady on the offense and wilfork on the defense are the only two constants theyve had the last 10 years. its a VERY big loss.

i was kind of in this boat as well, but didnt want to be the only to say it. as much as i dont like the pats, or wilfork, its never exciting to see a guy potentially end his career on an injury.

Not exciting......but to me(& I'm sure many others) it conjures up the concept of justice. Through his career he has shown a blatant disregard for the health of his opponents....displayed by the colloquial "cheap shot". From memory, he has also vocalized a lack of concern for players he has injured(though this might be my memory playing tricks on me). Having never really been held accountable for his actions in the past, it is not IMO unjustified to feel some sort of satisfaction that he has now received his just desserts.

Not my favorite guy in the world, but it's still bad karma to celebrate injuries. I had the same injury and it sucks. More than a year later and I'm finally feeling close to how I felt pre-injury. He could easily get to close to 400 lbs before he starts his rehab.

I certainly don't celebrate injuries, but when you have someone who has been fined and reprimanded repeatedly for late hits and cheap shots, let's just say that it doesn't bother me when the tables are turned.