First quarter of the season in the books. Let's review.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

-Competitive in every game

-Defense has been vastly improved

-EJ's poise

-Fred's resurgence

-All things Robert Woods and Kiko Alonso

-Carpenter

-Cordy Glenn (minus a few plays this week)

-Backup DBs stepping up week 4

-Easley on special teams

Dislikes:

-Injuries

-CJ being stoppable

-Losing very winnable games to division opponents

-EJ's inaccuracy and decision making (rookie mistakes)

-TJ Graham, overall

My take:

@Browns W

Bengals L

@Fins L

@Saints L

KC W/L

@Pitt W

Jets W

Falcons W/L

@Tampa W

@JVille W

Miami W

@NE L

My take, at least. Giving us the edge in what I imagine will be close games (KC, MIA, ATL) and I gave Cincy the win, but if we can pick up any two of those games I still think we're in good shape.

6 wins at the bye is a reasonable goal for us to get a playoff spot, but 7 would be more comfortable. I think we're going to see some early struggles between now and New Orleans (why I still see us losing to Cincy), but once we get healthy and EJ & coach get more comfortable, we could be dangerous. Until proven otherwise I remain hopeful of that.

I'm going to say the bills are going to go.... 10-6. As long as no more injurys!

The good thing is that the Bills get a chance to hang Losses on them.

That's why I think yesterdays game was a big win for us. I think if we put a lot of pressure and pull a lot of blitzing both QB's will have a bad day, and we will get W on both games.

Rarely post, but constant reader...34 years old and really became a Bills fan during 88 AFC championship game vs. the Bengals and fell in love during the 89 Wild Card loss season vs the Browns (Ronnie F'ing Harmon).

In my opinion we are once again building something and when Gilmore and McKelvin come back our secondary will be as good as the Jets with Revis and Cromartie of a few years ago. That along with our good front 7 will let our D keep us in every game. CJ has yet to really show up and EJ is only going to get better. When we're able to sustain drives our offensive weapons will start to really show up (Stevie, Woods and Graham). 8-8 is my prediction but if we can steal a game in Cleveland Thursday night 9-7 or 10-6 is possible if the offense continues to improve.

Go Bills!

Idk if you should be so quick to say that we own KC. This year is different for them, I've watched two of their games this year and they are extremely talented. And a rededicated Andy Reid looks like one of the best coaches in football.

they are a schedule 4-0 couldnt line up 4 worse teams

I recently did a study, and one thing all playoff teams had in common: they all managed to get a third win at some point after their first two!

So after getting #2 against the Super Bowl champs (everyone had that penciled in as a W before the season, right?), I hope we get #3 out of the way as soon as possible because the sooner that happens we can start working on #4.

I think we are a realistically a 7-9 team right now, and injuries, schedule, and the way the ball bounces can swing that several games. The fact that we weathered some tough injuries and a big holdout at 2-2 is a positive, and I think our schedule is set up for us to exceed expectations and play above our level, especially if our injury luck turns and we get key guys back faster than we lose to new injuries.

What matters most to this team is winning any football games we can, and being in the playoff hunt deep into the final weeks.

After the 1st quarter of the 2013 season, the Bills are a respectable 2-2 with close outcomes in each contest.

The next quarter of the season brings the following contests:

@ Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, @ Miami Dolphins, @ New Orleans Saints

Looks like a pretty challenging stretch to me given the opponents they'll be facing with three of the four being road games. I'm thinking 4-4 at best. IMO, the Bills have to win on Thursday to be even at the halfway point.

Where do you predict the Bills will stand at the halfway point assuming the return to health of Gimore and McKelvin?

They got to win the next three....The game against the Dolphins is critical because it would put us in a 0-3 hole in the division.

Analysis and grades of the Bills first full regular season quarter under the regime and roster.

Front Office: Grade = B+

For all the crap they have gotten, and seem to still get, our Front Office has had quite an off season. First off, I think did very well with the coaching staff. I really like Marrone so far and Pettine has completely changed this defense. Hackett is a work in progress, but I think he is going to be just fine as the season goes on. Trading for Hughes was a great value as we would likely not even be using Sheppard, assuming he even made the team. Manny Lawson has proven to be an excellent signing as well with great value as has Leonard. Most importantly, major draft success!!! Finally!!! Our top 3 rookies (EJ, Woods, and Kiko) are legit, and lets not forget about Goodwin when he gets back. Could be one of the best draft classes of any team in years if they keep improving on their early success. I actually wanted to give them an A, but the lack of bringing in more OL help, and the stalled negotiations with Byrd prevent that. However, I am very pleased with what they have started here.

Coaching: Grade = B

Another spot I wrestled with giving an A, mostly on what Pettine and our DB's coach has done with the D, and specifically guys like Dareus, A. Williams, and Mckelvin in resurrecting their talent. However, Hackett drags them down here simply because I don't feel he has best utilized Spiller, our speed in general, or screen passes. I am confident he will figure that out though, especially as EJ develops more. I think Marrone is doing a pretty good job, and we are a few bone head plays away from being 4-0 under this regime. But the stars of this staff have been Pettine and all the Defensive positional coaches, especially when you consider what we have gone through in terms of injuries.

Quarterback: Grade = B

I really like this kid EJ, especially his mentality and leadership abilities. This kid works hard, stays late, plays through mistakes, doesn't get down on himself, and has the poise of a franchise QB to go along with all his physical gifts. He had a rough week 3, but he bounced back week 4. The box score doesn't really reflect how good he played. One of his picks was SJ's fault, and he saw players narrowly miss a few other TD's (Woods and Smith). He has lived up to his draft status thus far, but still has a lot of work to do. Given how much time he missed, his start to the season is pretty good and there is a lot to like about this kid. He does need to improve on how he holds the ball to better protect from fumbles.

Running Backs: Grade = C+

Its hard to say who is really the reason for the slow start to what we expected to be a dominant run game, but the bottom line this unit has not been what was expected. I, along with many, believe that the run plays being called for Spiller are not utilizing him correctly. Hopefully this can be addressed as well as more screens and short passes to him in space. FJ also has been up and down, but more up than down. Both backs have fumbled more than they should, both keep getting banged up, but both also bounce back. This unit has been a little disappointing overall, but I think as the offense finds more of a grove and the play calling improves (lets hope) this unit will drastically improve. The OL also has not done this unit any favors.

Recievers/Tight Ends: Grade = B-

Woods has been the star of this show and saves the grade for this unit. Stevie's horrendous game 4 and a couple of other ill timed drops drag it down. Graham has been a ghost, Goodwin was hurt, and Hogan and Easley are not being used even in the slightest on offense. I have a lot of confidence this unit will improve, and I think the staff needs to start getting Easley on the field and giving EJ a big target. Stevie though had been doing pretty good the first three weeks, but his dropsies when it counts are still there and his time as the #1 WR on this team is coming to close if he can't fix it.

Offensive Line: Grade = C-

This unit was given know help by the front office, and it shows. The run blocking has been atrocious, and the pass blocking decent. I have a strong feeling this will be the unit that 2 of our first 3 picks in next years draft will be used on.

Defensive Line: Grade = A-

What a resurgence! This unit had been disappointing for so long, but they are really starting to reach their potential. I can not give them an A or A+ because the run D had not been very good overall statistically, but I also could not ding them too much because the run D has been better than the stats suggest and they have been wreaking havoc in the pass game. Carrington loss is disappointing, but there is still a lot of talent here and I think we are only seeing the beginnings of what they can do. When we get Gilmore, Brooks, and Byrd back, this unit is going to be even better as the Secondary gives them more time up front.

Linebackers: Grade = A

Manny Lawson has been a great signing and great value. The clear star of this show is my man Kiko! I have been singing his praises since draft night and predicted he would be one of the best rookies this year and an impact player out the gate, and he has exceeded those expectations IMO. This kid can play and is going to be the leader of this D for years to come. What a difference from last year in terms of this unit and another reason for the high praise for the front office. Run D keeps this from being an A+

Secondary: Grade = B

I really wanted to give them an A, not necessarily because the unit has played to the level of an A, but for what these guys have accomplished despite all the injuries. A. Wiliams has been a stud, McKelvin is playing like a first round pick for the first time in his career, and we have been missing our Pro Bowl S, #1 stud corner Gilmore, and our slot guy Brooks for most of the season. Add into that we lost McKelvin for almost half this season too and that's just crazy. Yet this unit has hung in there, never let us out of games, and keeps making plays. The late signing of Leonard has been huge too. They have gotten a lot of flack on here, but what they are accomplishing with that amount of injuries is impressive.

Special Teams: Grade = B+

This unit has been excellent in so many areas that the grade reflects that more than the terrible punting. Easley has played like a ST HOFer out there, seriously. This guy is all over the ball, its insane, and on almost every play! Carpenter has been money outside the one kick he missed to start his time here, so big props to him for stepping in and making it count. Punter has been so inconsistent, otherwise this unit would get an A. And this unit is only going to get better when we get Goodwin back!

Overall 1st QTR Grade = B+

This team is a work in progress...its a young team, young staff, and has been through a slew of injuries. Yet every week we have been right there in every game fighting. I firmly believe we should be 4-0 right now, but young teams make mistakes (well and some vets too STEVIE). This team has shown it can bounce back, and that is not something I felt we had in the past. What if EJ didn't miss time in preseason and Gilmore and Byrd had been here? Maybe we would be 4-0 and would have won games in a more decisive manor. Who knows...but what I do know is that this team, despite all the injuries, early season jitters and mistakes, this team is 2-2 and headed in a very positive direction. Facing NE, CAR, JETS, and BALT in the first 4 weeks, I don't think too many people would have said they would be disappointed if we came out of that 2-2, especially considering our injuries and how close the 2 losses were.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I've Liked:

• EJ Manuel's demeanor and ability to learn and improve
  • Robert Woods
  • Kiko Alonso
  • Yes, those are our top 3 draft picks.
  • Mario's game vs Panthers
  • Dareus' game vs Ravens
  • Game management by our new Head Coach
  • Overcoming adversity
  • Fans have been a factor in home wins
  • Been in every single game. Fun to watch.
  • More physical than past teams
  • Jairus who?

What concerns me:

• Injuries. Enough already!
  • Penalties. Eric Wood must be trying to cover for Colin Brown cause he doesn't hold this much.
  • Shankopotamus. I hear Brian Moorman is available.
  • EJ's ball security (or lack thereof)
  • EJ's accuracy on the long ball (or lack thereof). Constant underthrows of our fastest receivers. Just put it out there!
  • Justin Rodgers
  • 8 sacks allowed vs Jets
  • Haven't heard one opposing team say that the tempo of our offense gave them any trouble
  • Losing side of almost every play under review. WTF?
  • 0-2 in our division

I agree with pretty much everything you say, accept this "Game management by our new Head Coach" ???? Really? I would say, this was a big question mark in the first three games, game four was a marked improvement and showed a willingness to be teachable and adjust. That is good, but one out of four is a bad ratio. Time will tell, I think it took a turn for the good, but the verdict is still out on this one.

rookie QB, injuries everywhere, and we escaped 2-2 and the 2 losses came in close games...

OFFENSE: going to go nowhere but up... EJ getting more snaps, Spiller/Jackson finding their groove

DEFENSE: going to go nowhere but up... secondary comes back soon and will capitalize even more from our d-line pressure

BIGGEST WORRY: dolphins and chiefs getting all these non conference wins. makes the wild card tough for us.

@Browns W

Bengals W

@FinsL

@Saints L

KC W

@Pitt W

Jets W

Falcons L

@Tampa W

@JVille W

Miami W

@NE W

10 - 6 ... wild card all depends on the dolphins in conference record, and the chiefs non conference records... something tells me all of us are going to be watching those teams and cheering against them in a very major way... my guess is that we are going to head into week 17 with a must win vs the Pats, and need the Chiefs (vs chargers) or Dolphins (vs jets) to lose... crazy thing is that the Chiefs/Chargers game is after us so it will be potentially a GO CHARGERS type of night