@Browns - Thursday Night Football

bobobonators

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the Browns/Bengals game. Some observations:

Joe Haden shut down AJ Green.

The Browns defense looks solid, totally shut down town the Bengals running game. Dalton made a few nice throws, but missed more often than not.

On the other hand, the Browns have absolutely no running game at all.

Browns tight end Cameron had a good game. Have some weapons at receiver, surprisingly!

As for Hoyer -- not sure yet. The jury is still out on him. Had a few nice looking throws. Norv Turner is putting him in position not to make a lot of mistakes. Has been sacked a few times against the Browns, and was sacked a bunch of times last week against the Vikings. A Pettine defense could confuse him. And it will be on him to beat the Bills, since the Browns have no running game.

Yesterday the local radio in Cbus was complaining that the Bengals WRs ran terrible routes and that was why the Bengals struggled. I didn't watch the game. They did credit Haden with shutting down Green - he is just that good. But I have seen Dalton miss AJ Green when he is wide open, so...

The Bengals running game is interesting. Gio Bernard was the 1st RB taken in the draft and he has shown flashes, to be sure. But he is more of a Spiller type guy. Not a great blocker, not an every down back. The Law Firm is more of your Freddy Jackson type guy. So yes, I can see our ground game not doing much, but I think Spiller>Bernard and Jackson>Law Firm.

Just watched the Browns/Bengals game. Some observations:

Joe Haden shut down AJ Green. And he tackles like an old fashioned football player.

The Browns defense looks solid, totally shut down town the Bengals running game. Dalton made a few nice throws, but missed more often than not.

On the other hand, the Browns have absolutely no running game at all.

Browns tight end Cameron had a good game. Have some weapons at receiver, surprisingly!

As for Hoyer -- not sure yet. The jury is still out on him. Had a few nice looking throws. Norv Turner is putting him in position not to make a lot of mistakes. Has been sacked a few times against the Browns, and was sacked a bunch of times last week against the Vikings. A Pettine defense could confuse him. And it will be on him to beat the Bills, since the Browns have no running game.

Previous to the Bills/Ravens games, the Ravens had allowed an average of 74 YPG rushing... Not sure I'd read too much into the Browns stopping the Bengals RB's.

Previous to the Bills/Ravens games, the Ravens had allowed an average of 74 YPG rushing... Not sure I'd read too much into the Browns stopping the Bengals RB's.

The Browns D has shut down every running game. They're the best D in the league against the run allowing 2.9ypa. The longest run the've allowed all season was for 14 yards. With a limited Spiller/Jackson this will be very tough going for the Bills O.

I am going to go out on a limb here. IMO the Browns have not been able to score against a good defense. They could only manage 10pts against Miami and lost the game. They could only manage 6pts against the Ravens and lost. They put up 31pts against the Vikes but their defense this year is awful so far. The win against the Bengals was big for them but they only managed 17pts.

The Bills should go down there and make a statement. I think our defense is too much for them and our offense continues to improve. This should not even be close. We win by 2 TDs.....maybe 3.

I would agree with you - but Our rookie QB needs to get use to playing away games - add that to the extra noise generated by home fans in a Prime time game... I think this will be a learning experience for our QB. We better jump out to an early lead

The Browns D has shut down every running game. They're the best D in the league against the run allowing 2.9ypa. The longest run the've allowed all season was for 14 yards. With a limited Spiller/Jackson this will be very tough going for the Bills O.

I wouldn't exactly say they shut down the Vikings. Peterson and Ponder, who ran on designed runs, ran 28 times 134 yards and 3 TDs. They specifically couldn't stop ponder.

Looks like the Browns are lucky the Bills are hurting at RB. I don't think Fred should play an sprained MCL is not good. Let him take the time off because he is the older running back.

I'd would risk C.J. because he is younger at maybe a quicker healer that Jackson is right now. I would let Choice take the most carries this week and let E.J. work the playbook.

They are going to have to let him open up sometime, might as well be this week with both his backs hurting.

I don't want to see EJ run that much, QB can and do get hurt.

We got to get the ball to Woods more, let him start to take the pressure of Stevie.

The way the Bills D is playing they have more than a decent chance to win and go to 3-2 .

An example of Sully's laziness. Choice had 91 yards against a Dick Jauron coached D. Roy Horton is a different story...

Spiller and Jackson had 190 all purpose yards against Ray Horton's Arizona defense last year. That is all.

I hope the Browns do key on Steve. Woods is already starting to show he is the more talented WR. By years end teams will be rolling their #1 corner to Woods so SJ production can pick back up.

I think what happened with the Bengals game is they were able to key on Green and their other WRs and Dalton couldn't get it done. They have some decent WRs and TEs, I am not sure why they were so unproductive. Once the running game was taken away, Dalton couldn't compensate. However, the Browns have 2-3 decent weapons on offense. I will give you EITHER Greg Little or McGahee at this point. O-line has been bad and may struggle again if our Dline plays to their ability. Our offense, despite playing 3-4 very good defenses in the first 4 games, each proclaiming to be better than the next, have scored no less than 20 points in each game. With a rookie QB, a limited playbook and some pretty questionable play calling. Each one keying in on Spiller and SJ and letting everyone else try to beat them. Freddy and Woods, and sometimes Chandler, have stepped up more often than not. The Bengals could not do it, we will see if we can. The Browns have scored over 17 points only once, against the Vikings, one of the worst defenses in the league.

Also, let me be very clear on Brian Hoyer. He is a great story. With our secondary injuries and the way they played on the road last time, he could very well light us up on Thursday. As Bills fans, we are always prepared for that, right? We have seen worse. Doesn't matter who the QB is. We let Geno light us up, he of the Butt Fumble part deux. BUT... Brian Hoyer would not start at Ohio State. Now. We can talk about Tuel and I think he compares to him. Again, I would not be surprised to see the kid do well. Could be the next Tom Brady. But looked back at some MSU games he played in. No bueno. Browns started him over Jason Campbell to tank the season. He was the #3 QB. Many teams don't even carry 3. So there you go. If the Bills D can't shake him up, that's on them.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Peterson had 25 carries 88yds - 3.5avg. That's way below avg for him; Rice and Pierce combined for 32 carries and 93yds - very poor. Miami had a combined 23 carries for 20 yds - that's silly. Cincy had a combined 20 carries for 63yds - again bad. The Browns have stopped some elite rushing teams dead in their tracks. I expect more of the same vs. the Bills. Hopefully EJ will be able to pick up some yds on broken plays cuz I don't see CJ and Freddy picking up many yds against this D with Hackett's offense.

Peterson had 25 carries 88yds - 3.5avg. That's way below avg for him; Rice and Pierce combined for 32 carries and 93yds - very poor. Miami had a combined 23 carries for 20 yds - that's silly. Cincy had a combined 20 carries for 63yds - again bad. The Browns have stopped some elite rushing teams dead in their tracks. I expect more of the same vs. the Bills. Hopefully EJ will be able to pick up some yds on broken plays cuz I don't see CJ and Freddy picking up many yds against this D with Hackett's offense.

Cincy and Miami are elite running teams?

As for Petersen, yesterday's 100 yard game was his first of the season. It's been a below average season for him so far.

Stopping a healthy Baltimore attack is impressive, I'll grant you.

I would not call any of these teams, except Minn, elite rushing teams. That said, neither are we. Of note though is that AP is literally all they needed to control in that game.

Cincy and Miami are elite running teams?

As for Petersen, yesterday's 100 yard game was his first of the season. It's been a below average season for him so far.

Stopping a healthy Baltimore attack is impressive, I'll grant you.

AP has been without his lead blocker because he has been suspended. I think he comes back this week.

Lol.. elite rushing teams? Baltimore rushed for less than 20 yards against the Bills. The Vikings suck.. they are 1-3 for a reason only beating an 0-4 team.. AP can't do it all and his average is only 4.6 this year and only broke 100 yards once. The law firm is horrible and Bernard gets mostly 3rd down looks.. Miami's running game is far from elite.. I don't disagree that the Browns are solid.. but they have not faced elite rushing attacks.