@Browns - Thursday Night Football

bobobonators

As for Baltimore yesterday, Thursday night is a classic letdown game for the Browns. Just as everyone had written off their season 2 games in, they responded with a surprising shootout win over Minnesota and a convincing defensive performance against the Bengals. Now, it's time they crash down to Earth. Bills win.

Edited by Nate128

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since EJ missed Stevie at least 3 time Sunday, I don't have much hope for Stevie haveing a great season. This pattern is something to be concerned about....they do not have a connection.......Fitz Stevie was a connection. Chemistry is part of the game....and those two, who are supposed to be together are anything but....I was there, and saw the really bad throws. Two behind, one long....

i think missing so much of training camp has an effect on that. It takes time to develop that QB-WR connection plus Stevie mentioned how he had 3 different QBs in TC. I am optimistic that will improve. Especially once teams realize Woods is a major weapon, things will loosen up around SJ. I know he missed him wide open, that was on EJ.

As for Baltimore yesterday, Thursday night is a classic letdown game for the Browns. Just as everyone had written off their season 2 games in, they responded with a surprising shootout win over Minnesota and a convincing defensive performance against the Bengals. Now, it's time they crash down to Earth. Bills win.

When I first read this, thought you said it was letdown for the Bills. I thought - no way, Bills won't look at it that way because it is on the road. But the other way - yes, I can see that. Not sold on Hoyer. He has some decent weapons in Cameron and Gordon, but Gordon is a knucklehead and on the trading block and Cameron is a rookie. You never know what will happen with their performances.

I live in Columbus and outside of OSU, the Browns are the most covered pro team here (see what I did there :)). Do we even have an NHL team? That is a story for another day/forum. Anyway, I have been somewhat forced to watch the Browns every Sunday since 1997 when I moved here. There is always the debate over whether the local CBS affiiate shows the Bengals or Browns when thet play at the same time. Especially of late, the Bengals have been far better but they still air the Browns because the fan base here is so much bigger. The fan base is very similar to the Bills in that they are die-hard and have been through a lot of disappointment. No matter what, they still show up. They stick with their team no matter what the FO/owner does and they can't give it up because it is in their blood. I thought the crowd might not be too bad this week after The Trade (the fans HATED this move) but now that they have won 2 in a row, it is going to be crazy. BUT the Browns are not a good team overall. What they do have is a very talented defense. Lots of people have already mentioned Haden. Likely the best corner the Bills have seen this year. He will lock down Stevie or whoever he is covering. Add to that their front 7 AND Barkevious Mingo, their #1 draft pick of out LSU, is an absolute stud LB. Super fast, athletic... watch out for him. He missed a lot of the PS with a freak lung injury and I think the first 1 or 2 games of the reg season so not a ton of pub yet but mark my words. Also - they picked up Paul Kruger from the Ravens and Da'Quell Jackson is an all-out baller. So all in all, this is going to be a low scoring game IMO because I do think the Bills may struggle against the D. They will really need to try to run the ball they like have been trying to do. I don't think the Browns D is worlds better than Baltimore but I do think it is less "exotic," if you will, than the Jets. On the other side... their offense. I know that they have won 2 games in a row. The Minnesota win didn't impress me too much, they have a pretty bad defense. They do have Josh Gordon, a VERY good WR and Jordan Cameron, a great weapon at TE. But it begins and ends with the OL and Hoyer. The OL has some big names but they have NOT played well this year. They have had problems running the ball. They need to stop the run and force Hoyer to throw - just as they did with the Ravens. Hoyer is OK but should not be starting in the NFL. I watch a lot of Big 10 football and I barely remember him playing at MSU. I think the Bills can manage to confuse the heck out of him. I was not too impressed with the HC hire of Chudzinski - he was the former OC in Carolina and that didn't say much to me. He is an Ohio guy (frw up in Cleveland, I think) and that went a long way toward his hire. Kind of like Marrone - he really wanted to be there because he felt locally connected. With perennial losing teams, sometimes you really need a coach who WANTS to be there. (see Mularkey, Gregg, etc.) But the jury is still out on Chud. They do have Norv Turner as the OC which has helped somewhat. This game can again go either way. My biggest worry is the Bills/EJ on the road. We have only seen them on the road once this year and despite the close score it was such a dramatic game that it seemed much worse. I don't know if we'll see the same type of performance. BUT if we can get McKelvin back that would be absolutely the key to this game.

Great post man. Thanks for the info. I forgot about Mingo!

I predict another Bills/Browns classic. Final score: Bills win, 4-2.

LMFAO :thumbsup:

I'll be interested in seeing Joe Haden go against Stevie. He pretty much shadowed AJ Green today and shut him down. The guy is a hell of a player.

I HOPE Joe Haden covers Stevie. That leaves Woods with their #2 CB. I would love that.

jordan cameron is a beast. joe haden is an impressive cover corner. i think they struggle running the ball.

put Alonso on Cameron?

I HOPE Joe Haden covers Stevie. That leaves Woods with their #2 CB. I would love that.

put Alonso on Cameron?

Maybe overly positive outlook, but I think Pettine will come up with something for Cameron. While they have some talent, the offense they run is very simple with Hoyer.

Maybe overly positive outlook, but I think Pettine will come up with something for Cameron. While they have some talent, the offense they run is very simple with Hoyer.

I'm hoping Petting comes up w/ something for Hoyer/Cameron. He did a great job with Ray Rice and Flacco. And Hoyer has thrown (I'm going off memory so I could be wrong) 5 picks in two games?

I'm hoping Petting comes up w/ something for Hoyer/Cameron. He did a great job with Ray Rice and Flacco. And Hoyer has thrown (I'm going off memory so I could be wrong) 5 picks in two games?

The safeties and LBs will have their work cut out for them with Cameron. They also have another dimension with Gordon back -- even if just to draw coverage away from Cameron.

Hopefully they can confuse the F out of Hoyer and hit Cameron hard enough to rattle them.

From a defensive standpoint, the Browns haven't played a QB like EJ yet this year. Their losses were against Tannehill and Flacco, wins against Dalton and Ponder. Pretty much pocket QBs, Ponder may be the most athletic but he just really looks lost at time. The win against Cincy was surprising to say the least. Cleveland obviously deserves a lot of credit for stopping that offense. Here in Ohio they will say it is more about the Bengals being the Bengals and underachieving. I don't really buy all of that.

From a defensive standpoint, the Browns haven't played a QB like EJ yet this year. Their losses were against Tannehill and Flacco, wins against Dalton and Ponder. Pretty much pocket QBs, Ponder may be the most athletic but he just really looks lost at time. The win against Cincy was surprising to say the least. Cleveland obviously deserves a lot of credit for stopping that offense. Here in Ohio they will say it is more about the Bengals being the Bengals and underachieving. I don't really buy all of that.

At the same time, other than Ponder, EJ (right now) is by far the worst QB of that bunch (Tann/Flacco/Dalton).

Suddenly, a very tough matchup. Very good D and very good TE. Their rbs are average to be kind. Personally, I'd take away Cameron/ Gordon (hopefully McKelvin is back) and force Willis and company to beat us. On offense, I'd have a similar gameplan as Sunday. Stevie is probably going to be taken away by Haden, so Woods and Chandler need to come up big. and don't give up on the run. Plus, more play action and screens.

Oh and the Bills need to watch themselves around Jordan Cameron's sister. She has babies by Matt Leinart and Blake Griffin. Mario should be careful.

Suddenly, a very tough matchup. Very good D and very good TE. Their rbs are average to be kind. Personally, I'd take away Cameron/ Gordon (hopefully McKelvin is back) and force Willis and company to beat us. On offense, I'd have a similar gameplan as Sunday. Stevie is probably going to be taken away by Haden, so Woods and Chandler need to come up big. and don't give up on the run. Plus, more play action and screens.

Oh and the Bills need to watch themselves around Jordan Cameron's sister. She has babies by Matt Leinart and Blake Griffin. Mario should be careful.

That's his sister? Had no idea.

At the same time, other than Ponder, EJ (right now) is by far the worst QB of that bunch (Tann/Flacco/Dalton).

Yep, just a different style of QB. Will be interesting to see if they exploit that.

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot2m

Cleveland Browns' QB Brian Hoyer will start Thursday night against 2-2 Bills http://dlvr.it/43Zl55

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

2m

Bills' running game will suffer if Jackson and/or Spiller can't go Thursday in Cleveland. But remember, Choice went for 91 at Browns last yr

Edited by Kemp2Warlick

As EJ has only left the pocket a handful of times I don't see the "the Browns haven't played a QB like EJ" its not like he has been lighting anything up with his legs. In fact, he has had opportunities to do so and hasn't. I am not saying he doesn't run at all but he is hardly Wilson, Kap, or RGIII in that sense.

As EJ has only left the pocket a handful of times I don't see the "the Browns haven't played a QB like EJ" its not like he has been lighting anything up with his legs. In fact, he has had opportunities to do so and hasn't. I am not saying he doesn't run at all but he is hardly Wilson, Kap, or RGIII in that sense.

In other words, EJ is always a threat to run the ball, whether he has or hasn't done that yet. If Hackett & Marrone find that they can exploit this against Cleveland's D it may become part of the game plan. The other QBs they have played are not mobile QBs. I was pointing out that is a wrinkle the Browns do need to prepare for on a short week.