Goodell open to more playoffs, less preseason

papazoid

On the topic of the universally loathed preseason, Goodell floated the possibility of turning some preseason games into scrimmages, or taking them out of season ticket plans, to reflect the increasing worthlessness of the August games.

He said there had been no recent conversations about an 18-game schedule, but seemed intrigued by the notion of expanding the playoffs beyond the current 12 teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/26/goodell-open-to-more-playoffs-less-preseason/

REDUCE - PRESEASON TO 2 GAMES

KEEP - REGULAR SEASON AT 16 GAMES

INCREASE - PLAYOFF TEAMS FROM 6 TO 7 PER CONFERENCE

7 teams per conference? So adding two more crappy 9-7 or 8-8 teams? And only one team with a bye in each conference? Horrible idea.

I'd rather they keep the pre-season games than turn the playoffs into the NHL (where at least you play a 7 game series so the crappy teams that squeak in rarely advance).

On the topic of the universally loathed preseason, Goodell floated the possibility of turning some preseason games into scrimmages, or taking them out of season ticket plans, to reflect the increasing worthlessness of the August games.

He said there had been no recent conversations about an 18-game schedule, but seemed intrigued by the notion of expanding the playoffs beyond the current 12 teams.

http://profootballta...less-preseason/

REDUCE - PRESEASON TO 2 GAMES

KEEP - REGULAR SEASON AT 16 GAMES

INCREASE - PLAYOFF TEAMS FROM 6 TO 7 PER CONFERENCE

This kind of thinking annoys me. The preseason is useful. Think of all the Bills players who looked great in preseason before being allowed to take regular season snaps. Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, etc. The preseason is a chance for us as fans to see guys we can't necessarily see in regular season. It's also another evaluation tool for NFL front office people to use. The preseason is good.

The only reason it's "loathed" is because of the idiotic decision to charge exactly the same price for preseason games as is charged for regular season games. If a guy selling hamburgers prices them like steaks, of course there's going to be resentment. Products with different perceived value should be priced differently. The glaringly obvious solution to the preseason "problem" is to charge maybe 1/3 as much for preseason games as for regular season games. Sell concessions at a moderate discount WRT regular season prices. You could get stadiums nice and full that way. You could draw in casual fans who might not want to pay full price for a regular season game. (Expand the fan base.) Most preseason snaps are taken by backup players anyway; so it's not like reducing the number of preseason games will save much wear and tear on the starters.

A preseason like that would make money for the NFL, it would give teams a chance to better evaluate their backup players and young talent; and it would give fans the chance to enjoy preseason football at a fair price for the product. This solution is logical, which is why it's a win all around. The only problem with the existing preseason is the illogical way it's priced. Efforts have been made to ram that illogic down fans' throats, through season ticket packages and other means.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Have one scrimmage plus 2 preseason games. Make it a 17 game regular season, start on Labor Day weekend. Used to love that. One bye week. Play the extra game at a neutral site. Make it 8 teams in each conference in the playoffs. No more 1st round bye. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 each conference in the 1st round. Pushes the Super Bowl back a week. Why is this so hard?

7 teams per conference? So adding two more crappy 9-7 or 8-8 teams? And only one team with a bye in each conference? Horrible idea.

I'd rather they keep the pre-season games than turn the playoffs into the NHL (where at least you play a 7 game series so the crappy teams that squeak in rarely advance).

This is the only way the Bills might ever get at making the playoffs. Preseason is useless anyway.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

This is the only way the Bills might ever get at making the playoffs. Preseason is useless anyway.

That's a pathetic attitude. If you can't find in the top 6 of a 16 team conference, you have no business anywhere near a playoff game.

And pre-season is far from useless.

That's a pathetic attitude. If you can't find in the top 6 of a 16 team conference, you have no business anywhere near a playoff game.

And pre-season is far from useless.

2 preseason games is enough, don't blame me blame the Bills organization for the 13+ playoff season droughts. That is what you should be calling pathetic.

Giants were not a top 6 team yet they made it to the playoffs b.c the division is horrible and ended up winning the Superbowl. I bet you didn't think about that did you.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

I hope it will change to eight teams. We would've made it in 2004. They would be the only chance the bills have to make it sometime soon

Sorry, but playoffs should be for the best, not half the league. Coffee's for closers.

And while we're talking about Goodell, hopefully his idea of putting a team in London dies a natural death.

2 preseason games is enough, don't blame me blame the Bills organization for the 13+ playoff season droughts. That is what you should be calling pathetic.

Giants were not a top 6 team yet they made it to the playoffs b.c the division is horrible and ended up winning the Superbowl. I bet you didn't think about that did you.

The Bills aren't saying they need an expanded playoff field, you are.

So your solution to medicore teams like the Giants making the playoffs is to add even more medicore teams to the playoffs? :doh:

You need some spicy mustard.

Leave the playoffs alone. They are fine the way they are.

We do not need more 9-7,8-8, or 7-9 teams in the playoffs.

This is the NFL, not the NBA.

Agreed. I also would like to keep the system where 2 teams from each conference get a bye. Makes their good season play worth something. 8 teams per conference eliminates the bye and someone who goes 16-0 could have a fluke game and lose to a wild card (1 would be seeded vs. 8).

That's no fun.

As for preseason, I would be okay dropping down to 3 games. It makes the month of August so damn long and boring. A July training camp scrimmage would be pretty fun to see instead of the 4th preseason game

Have one scrimmage plus 2 preseason games. Make it a 17 game regular season, start on Labor Day weekend. Used to love that. One bye week. Play the extra game at a neutral site. Make it 8 teams in each conference in the playoffs. No more 1st round bye. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 each conference in the 1st round. Pushes the Super Bowl back a week. Why is this so hard?

Because Roger Goodell is a mental midget!

or.....

Playoff Week 1 4 vs. 7 and 5 vs. 6

Playoff Week 2 1 vs. 4, 5, 6, or 7 and 2 vs. 3

Playoff Week 3 2 remaining teams

Superbowl Bills vs. TBD

Edited by Nix Buddy

Actually the "crappy" teams do pretty good in the NHL playoffs somewhat commonly. Finals 2 years ago #6 New Jersey ( go Devils) vs #8Los Angeles.....and any hockey fan knows lower seeds winning best of sevens happens often.

How many #5 or #6 seeds have won the Superbowl recently? Giants, Pittsburgh, Ravens.......with all that said I could not agree more. Let's stop diminishing the regular season. I liked it when it was 3 divisions and 2 wild cards.

or.....

Playoff Week 1 4 vs. 7 and 5 vs. 6

Playoff Week 2 1 vs. 4, 5, 6, or 7 and 2 vs. 3

Superbowl Bills vs. TBD

I think it would be:

Playoff Week 1 6 vs.7 and 2 vs.5 and 3 vs.4

Playoff Week 2 1 vs.6/7 and 2/5 vs.3/4

Superbowl AFC Champ vs.NFC Champ.......... and the Bills planning who they'll pick with their top ten selection.

Edited by Buffalo Destroyers!

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Goodell: Playoff expansion a possibility for 2015

The possibility of adding two teams to the postseason is one of the "priorities" for the competition committee in 2014, Goodell said.

Rather than two games apiece on wild-card weekend, each conference would expand to three games.

One possibility for squeezing in extra playoff teams is to reduce the preseason from four weeks to three, although the two issues are not necessarily related. Goodell reiterated that preseason games are not up to NFL standards.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000259506/article/roger-goodell-playoff-expansion-a-possibility-for-2015

This kind of thinking annoys me. The preseason is useful. Think of all the Bills players who looked great in preseason before being allowed to take regular season snaps. Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, etc. The preseason is a chance for us as fans to see guys we can't necessarily see in regular season. It's also another evaluation tool for NFL front office people to use. The preseason is good.

The only reason it's "loathed" is because of the idiotic decision to charge exactly the same price for preseason games as is charged for regular season games. If a guy selling hamburgers prices them like steaks, of course there's going to be resentment. Products with different perceived value should be priced differently. The glaringly obvious solution to the preseason "problem" is to charge maybe 1/3 as much for preseason games as for regular season games. Sell concessions at a moderate discount WRT regular season prices. You could get stadiums nice and full that way. You could draw in casual fans who might not want to pay full price for a regular season game. (Expand the fan base.) Most preseason snaps are taken by backup players anyway; so it's not like reducing the number of preseason games will save much wear and tear on the starters.

A preseason like that would make money for the NFL, it would give teams a chance to better evaluate their backup players and young talent; and it would give fans the chance to enjoy preseason football at a fair price for the product. This solution is logical, which is why it's a win all around. The only problem with the existing preseason is the illogical way it's priced. Efforts have been made to ram that illogic down fans' throats, through season ticket packages and other means.

You're exactly right. The only reason I loathe the preseason and was in the minority hoping for 18 game regular seasons is the pricing.

Is Goodell also open to enlightening all fans about the details of the spy gate videos he had destroyed? If he is going to be open, why not be wholly open and forthcoming?

Sorry papazoid, didn't mean to say too much that would alter from your thread topic.

Edited by Pilsner

If the NFL extended the playoffs to 30 teams with only 1 team from each conference not making them the Bills would be that last team. Not only that but the team from the NFC would have a worse record than the Bills and would thus get the 1st pick in the draft and take whatever Luck-esque franchise QB who happened to come out that year.