ESPN: Bills have NFL's Quickest Offense

cool, now if we can work on that deep ball.

Actually I would much rather focus on third down efficiency. Keep the change moving. The fascination with the long ball is much like people's fascination with the driver in golf. The short game is really what makes or breaks golfers. This is not unlike offenses who are solid on downs one and two making third down far more manageable. The long ball has its place but it is not the end all be all.

Not that it matters much, but I've found it odd that the Eagles are getting credit for being the pioneers of the fast paced offense in the NFL yet the Pats* have used a similar speed offense for a while now (on and off, admittedly). Also, the lack of coverage about our fast paced offense has been confusing as well. I understand that Chip Kelly has a bigger draw than Doug Marrone, but credit should be given to all teams running this style of offense. Nice to see something about this finally.

No respect... right?

Modrak is actuly doing a decent job trying to get Bills material that conversation. Good for him

However. I want similar stats:

Fastest teams, the 40 times of 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR's, QB and1 uutility player. An 2nd RB or TE or 4th WR.

I would think we might be top 5 there again.

Also want to compare total defensive time on the field. How long is each teams average on defense until a tur over, punt/FG or score... if the Eagles are getting scored on every five minutes and we are getting it every 6... I'd say our offense is better.

Also, most importantly I want to know yards sustained on drives. Both scoring and turnover downs. Then co pound this with turnovers by int or fumble.

Somewhere there you'd find a good recipe for retetta.

Actually I would much rather focus on third down efficiency. Keep the change moving. The fascination with the long ball is much like people's fascination with the driver in golf. The short game is really what makes or breaks golfers. This is not unlike offenses who are solid on downs one and two making third down far more manageable. The long ball has its place but it is not the end all be all.

it sure does make the underneath stuff easier when you connect on one or two of them though.

looking through -- TOP divided by plays is quite the lazy mans way of figuring out how quickly teams are moving. it may simply mean stevie is better at getting out of bounds, more penalty stoppages, more incomplete passes.... especially over a small sample.

definitely bar napkin numbers (which are good for broad strokes) and not precision.

Edited by NoSaint

Not that it matters much, but I've found it odd that the Eagles are getting credit for being the pioneers of the fast paced offense in the NFL yet the Pats* have used a similar speed offense for a while now (on and off, admittedly). Also, the lack of coverage about our fast paced offense has been confusing as well. I understand that Chip Kelly has a bigger draw than Doug Marrone, but credit should be given to all teams running this style of offense. Nice to see something about this finally.

Yeah his offense really isnt anything new in terms of its speed. The Pats have been doing it for years and the Colts at times with Peyton Manning

Yeah his offense really isnt anything new in terms of its speed. The Pats have been doing it for years and the Colts at times with Peyton Manning

What's lost on me is how the talking heads seem to have forgotten about Sam Wyche and the Bengals doing it in the mid 80s - before the Bills' K-Gun....

looking through -- TOP divided by plays is quite the lazy mans way of figuring out how quickly teams are moving. it may simply mean stevie is better at getting out of bounds, more penalty stoppages, more incomplete passes.... especially over a small sample.

However with a large enough sample size, all those things even out.

I think with about 160-170 plays run you're nearing that point of statistical validity.

However with a large enough sample size, all those things even out.

I think with about 160-170 plays run you're nearing that point of statistical validity.

Maybe.

A team that runs more than they pass would fare worse over the long haul in this matrix. Or one that had lower completion percentage but got their yards in bigger chunks.

Even all that controlled - With a 1 second per play gap, 3-4 extra clock stoppages across 2 games can account for a huge portion of a 160 second variance in time of possession that its reflecting. That's a shade over a minute a game - not a huge gap.

Like I said, clearly were around the top of the list but it was a lazy mans way to give a cliff notes of who's quick not a precise ranking of exact order with a reliable measureable gap.

Edited by NoSaint

I know it is a very small sample but still kind of interesting. Watching one of the three pre game shows on the NFL Network, they explained about Philly play calling with the signs. It is interesting that the Bills ad Broncos get off plays faster without that bullshiet.

I was wondering about this.

Right now, the Bills are going 3 and out too much. When we develop rhythm, which has been sorely lacking, and the Eagles have, we'll get our props.

It was week 1 with a rookie QB, half a dozen other rookies on both sides of the ball, and against Brady and the Refs