How do we stack up against the Jets?

boyst

Alright people, it is Tuesday. We've watched Sundays film already and now we need to get ready for Sunday. Lets game plan.

Just being frank, I'm gonna guess that the number of people here who have watched what could reasonably be called "film" could be counted on two hands or less. To your credit you are certainly one of them... just... I'm prepared to admit that I don't see it all and I imagine most here aren't, either. That said, there's always something good in these threads.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How has nobody mentioned CJ's habit of having HUGE plays against the Jets?

We might struggled with their defense, but we'll be able to move the ball and score.

On the flip side, we are going to make Geno Smith look like a pants-crapping imbecile.

I knew we'd be able to confuse Cam, and we did. I was fairly confident we could fool Brady here and there, and a couple times we did. I know for certain Geno Smith is going to be completely !@#$ing lost out there. He's going to take sacks, throw some wildly bad interceptions, may be fumble it a few times and look--for the most part--like he has no business in the league.

This is where it's proven that hiring Pettine was THE most important, and the best, off-season move.

Although EJ hasn't done anything to make the Jets feel like they need to respect the deep ball, he also hasn't done anything to show that he's incapable.

The Bills' offense is far from one-dimensional. We're going in with a healthy O.

I'd love to see EJ go downfield ... but only if it's the right decision at the right time. What I'd like to see more is to have Chandler in better positions to catch balls for first downs. To me, that's on Hackett.

Jets D has shut down the run; Bills D has not - albeit only through two games.

An early lead will be key. Make the Jets one dimensional. Make their offense more predictable. Make Eugene have throw the ball (third and longs, playing from behind, etc.), and it will be a banner day for the Bills' D.

Mario should be playing with a chip on his shoulder. We lost the week 1 Jets game last year because our defense sucked (I don't want this to turn into a whose fault was it thread; I'm simply showing that there should be some pent up anger from last year's loss against NYJ. I know Fitz sucked in week 1, as well).

Pressure Eugene like they pressured Cam and this will be an easy win.

Go BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Fixed a boneheaded error (thanks, Big Cat)

Edited by Gugny

I think folks might be underrating the Jets a bit.

Their front four is extremely disruptive and difficult to block, and their linebackers are aggressive and fill running lanes quickly. The Jets are hard to run the ball against, although it's true that CJ has found a way over the years. Wilkerson and Richardson have come into their own as a tandem and cause quite a bit of problems. Colin Brown is going to have his hands full for the third straight week, and I also expect the Jets to blitz EJ much more than the Patriots or Panthers did. It's also EJ's first game on the road, and it's in New York against a tough division opponent - I would be somewhat surprised if he lights it up. I expect that this will be a low scoring game, decided by field goals and a critical turnover.

On offense, the Jets have very few skill position players, but their offensive line is excellent. From what I've seen of them so far this year, their best play is the quick up-the-gut handoff to Ivory who runs between the guard and Mangold (a play that looks like something we run), and when he doesn't hesitate and hits the hole quickly, he frequently gets 7-8 yards off of that play. If the Jets are smart, they'll try to neutralize our pass rush by using these quick handoffs and mix in some play action with short passes to Cumberland and the running backs. Luckily for us, the Jets are not built to take advantage of our biggest weakness (our secondary) - they simply don't have the WRs to press the field.

The most important factors, as I see them, are (i) our ability to match the Jets' physicality; and (ii) winning the turnover battle.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Mario should be playing with a chip on his shoulder. We lost both Jets games last year because our defense sucked (I don't want this to turn into a whose fault was it thread; I'm simply showing that there should be some pent up anger from last year's losses against NYJ. I know Fitz sucked in week 1, as well).

Pressure Eugene like they pressured Cam and this will be an easy win.

Go BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, guh?? :blink:

The Bills need no stupid penalties. Two scores from Sunday would have not happened if they would not have had syupid penalties. Marrone needs to beat the in the head. I think the Bills would have won the Pats game without stupid penalties as well.

Win the turnover battle, win the game. This is the number 1 key, ahead of everything else..

The teams are actually pretty even when it comes down to it, I like our talent better at some positions but it is close without the homer goggles on. We need to force Geno into mistakes, while preventing EJ from doing the same..

maybe I'm being a homer

QB Bills +

Oline Bills +

RB's Bills +

Dline Bills +

Coach Bills +

Rookie crop Bills +

LOL. I'd give a slight advantage to the Bills @ QB (just because its way too early to say something definitive about either QB at this point); RB and WR's def goes to the Bills. But no way does O-line and D-line go to the Bills - sorry man, at best D-line is a wash. And coaching? I dunno - we'll soon find out. Rex has been to AFC Championship games with Sanchez of all people. Lets be fair and objective.

Win the turnover battle, win the game. This is the number 1 key, ahead of everything else..

The teams are actually pretty even when it comes down to it, I like our talent better at some positions but it is close without the homer goggles on. We need to force Geno into mistakes, while preventing EJ from doing the same..

YUP.

Edited by bobobonators

I think geno smith is going to have a very rough and frustrating game. Multiple sacks and INTs. Carolina o-line and cam newton are significantly superior to jests and geno. Geno is already one of the most frequently sacked qbs per drop back attempt. Look for pettine to have fun and give geno some complex reads and coverages

I really wish i could get with the coaching staff and tell them to try putting CJ and FJ on the field. CJ going in motion eliminates a blitz if they run base d. In nickel and dime they could do a db blitz but if we count in Chandler. ... which we xan , then he exploits their weak safety play and beats their seams. If we had a field stretcher we would be incredible in this matchup

You see when CJ goes out to split you HAVE to put a LB on him if you're in base. If he goes to Strong side you're forcing the SLB to stay on his heels for the coverage on the flat. It creates a lot of havok on even the best LB's and then running a play action read option to FJ... as they say in Jersey forget about it.

Stop the NJJ LB's and we stop their d

I think geno smith is going to have a very rough and frustrating game. Multiple sacks and INTs. Carolina o-line and cam newton are significantly superior to jests and geno. Geno is already one of the most frequently sacked qbs per drop back attempt. Look for pettine to have fun and give geno some complex reads and coverages

would you rather have 3 sacks vs 1 int? What about a 2:1 ratio?

I would take 2 INT's over three sacks. Because as a rookie QB in the jets system without WR's I have to think we are going to be able to flood the passing lanes. I'd even like cover 3 with 3 safeties on the field. A 3-3 front rotated often.

Personally, I think the Jets are probably in the same middle ground grouping as us, the Patriots, and the Panthers at the moment. I don't see it being an easy win, or an automatic win by any stretch. It's kind of funny how quick perceptions can change with just a couple games.

Vegas consensus has us as 2.5 point underdogs. Considering it's an away game, that pretty much puts us right on par with the Jets (in the eyes of Vegas bookmakers, anyway).

Some other interesting odds of note: The Pats are, once again, 7 point favorites. The Bucs are net -3 points so far this season. Are the Pats being overestimated (again)? The Phins are 1.5 point favorites against the Falcons. That one surprised me. The Phins should be taken seriously.

How has nobody mentioned CJ's habit of having HUGE plays against the Jets?

We might struggled with their defense, but we'll be able to move the ball and score.

On the flip side, we are going to make Geno Smith look like a pants-crapping imbecile.

I knew we'd be able to confuse Cam, and we did. I was fairly confident we could fool Brady here and there, and a couple times we did. I know for certain Geno Smith is going to be completely !@#$ing lost out there. He's going to take sacks, throw some wildly bad interceptions, may be fumble it a few times and look--for the most part--like he has no business in the league.

I'm banking on CJ having another nice game against the Jets...not only for us as fans but for my Fantasy team. (Selfish??? Yes I am)

Going by recent history, not that well. We have a poor record vs Jets in the Rex era, mostly due to our offensive struggles against their very solid front 7. The DL in particular. That is the matchup, not CJ and Freddy. Our OL is probably a bit worse inside due to Levire's departure. I don't expect much success on the ground vs this group, and they probably are going to key on the run as you would vs any rookie QB. This is also EJ's first road test, which is pretty significant. I'd say objectively you are looking at something like 21-16 Jets.

I expect that this will be a low scoring game, decided by field goals and a critical turnover.

That's exactly how I see it as well.

The most important factors, as I see them, are (i) our ability to match the Jets' physicality; and (ii) winning the turnover battle.

And I'll add a number (iii) Keeping a lid on stupid penalties.

Edited by CodeMonkey

They may have a better oline than us, but their qb is bad. I could see him benched in a few weeks if he keeps it up. He's giving up many sacks. Has no qb internal clock and makes bad decisions. Like any qb in the league (insert any qb name here), he will have some positive plays, but overall he's awful. Same thing cannot be said about Ej.

We may not be a scoring machine yet, but we will win.

Just being frank, I'm gonna guess that the number of people here who have watched what could reasonably be called "film" could be counted on two hands or less. To your credit you are certainly one of them... just... I'm prepared to admit that I don't see it all and I imagine most here aren't, either. That said, there's always something good in these threads.

I watch 6 games per week. Does this count?

Dvr though of course.

Tough game.

Jets aren't nearly as bad as the media portrays them. Their defense is very good. Offensively they are OK, not terrible. Stopping the run will be crucial and we still rank 30th in the league in rushing defense. We rank 4th in rushing offense while the Jets defense ranks 2nd. That will be an interesting match up.

It will be close. Tough one to call.

To be fair, they did play Tampa week 1 and barely won (Freeman was awful) and NE in a monsoon while Brady had 0 receivers to throw to (and they still won the damn game).

Edited by The Wiz

I am confident the Bills defense can handle the Jets offense. It will really be about Manuel being able to find open targets in the face of what I expect will be an attempt by the Jets to flood the short zones with defenders and confuse Manuel with multiple rush looks. I would expect the deep plays to be open all day. The Bills will need to be able to complete passes down the seem and deep sidelines to pull the Jets out of a smothering short yardage look. Fitzpatrick was never able to beat this defense.

This is exactly why I think Spiller/Jackson need to have great games.

I am confident the Bills defense can handle the Jets offense. It will really be about Manuel being able to find open targets in the face of what I expect will be an attempt by the Jets to flood the short zones with defenders and confuse Manuel with multiple rush looks. I would expect the deep plays to be open all day. The Bills will need to be able to complete passes down the seem and deep sidelines to pull the Jets out of a smothering short yardage look. Fitzpatrick was never able to beat this defense.

This is exactly why I think Spiller/Jackson need to have great games.

Is this a good time to ask about the notion of CJ & FredEx on the field together? This has been an oft-mentioned but seldom, if ever, really analyzed idea in terms of specific matchups going into a game. Not even pretending to have a football player/coach bone in my body, I can only ask the leading question!

To my eye, Freddy is so good at blocking / blitz pickup when necessary that this combination, whether in the backfield or one/both split out, might be a useful counter to the NY blitz schemes...and I don't think we've seen them on the field together yet this year.

Just askin', cuz I know some of you are capable of anal-izing this...

I personally am not a fan of CJ and Freddy being on the field at the same time. CJ has a stamina problem and I like how Freddy comes in to help out after CJ is winded.

If we had a stellar Tight End, this whole Fred and CJ on the field at the same time topic would never be discussed.

I liked the end arounds and sending CJ out wide plays Hackett drew up against the Panthers. He's definitely getting interesting with the playbook. Keys to the game is run the ball effectively and stop the run.

Definitely not the analysis you were looking for I know, but it just comes down to what they call smash mouth football this week...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz