A Question about the Squib Kick at the End of the Game

ChevyVanMiller

Give credit to Carolina's special team for knowing the rules. These situations are why you need a guy who can get it through the back of the end zone.

I heard Stevie was on the field playing as a DB for that last play. I wonder if that is because we don't have enough DB's due to all the injuries or just because Stevie is good at tracking and high-pointing balls in the air.

Really? Give credit to coach's for knowing the rules? It's a fairly common rule, it's done numerous times throughout the season. It was a bad squib kick, that's all. If you want to give them the ball at the 40, kick it out of bounds.

So, I assume that means that in a similar situation teams should not squib.

With 2 seconds left, it's an acceptable decision.

I don't know the odds, but I think there's a better chance of scoring a TD on a return than on a 60+ yard hail mary. The main problem is it was a bad squib. Don't kick it directly at someone like that.

Really? Give credit to coach's for knowing the rules? It's a fairly common rule, it's done numerous times throughout the season. It was a bad squib kick, that's all. If you want to give them the ball at the 40, kick it out of bounds.

yet often you see guys (especially on special teams where units shuffle in guys off the street some weeks) not get the play right in a big moment. pressure mounts and all of a sudden for the first time in your career you are a 300 lbs guy with the ball coming at you..... forcing him to field it clean and follow the right play in the situation is normally not a bad call

Give credit to Carolina's special team for knowing the rules. These situations are why you need a guy who can get it through the back of the end zone.

I heard Stevie was on the field playing as a DB for that last play. I wonder if that is because we don't have enough DB's due to all the injuries or just because Stevie is good at tracking and high-pointing balls in the air.

Easley was in, too. They went straight back to the goal line.

So is that rule in effect? I thought you can only take a knee in the endzone. As far as I know, on a kickoff, if you have the ball and you have no opposing team player contact you, the ball is live and you can drop and roll over on the floor if you like but the clock should still be ticking as the play is still "live"...

I know you can't do that in madden unless you call a fair catch.

There is another rule where a player can call himself down immediately if he has the ball.

For example say Buffalo has 10 seconds left at the opponents 40 wanting to get in field goal range. EJ through a crossing pattern to SJ....he has nobody around him and catches the ball around the 37 yard line with 3 seconds remaining. He can call himself down there and call a time out.

I am also sure there is an under 2 minute rule about such a play and how the clock should and shouldnt start. If they player recovers a squib kick and doesnt even attempt to move the ball he is conceeding being down so the clock does not start. Had the squib kick touched a player initially and bounced then the clock begins once he touches the ball.

All teams put WRs on the field playing DB on hail mary plays. As a defense you want players who can catch the ball and not tip it which is part of the reason DBs are DBs and not WRs.WRs are taught on how to play DB when there is need to defend agains a potential pick.

Actually that would have either killed the clock or given the ball back to Buffalo. Not a bad strategy IMHO.

minus the chance of a penalty putting them in fg range and getting an untimed down, for instance. a solid squib is the play there, even if it wasnt executed perfectly.

I remember Moulds being a DB on a hail mary pass as he was tall enough to bat the ball away.