A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harder to bootleg from shotgun. No momentum and the D can see the qb more clearly. I hate that he's never under center. Limits the playbook. Hope Hackett mixes it up as EJ gets more comfortable.

I most definitely agree. On the 2 pointer; I think it would have been brilliant...

5) I still can't believe we won the game yesterday. I am not used to the feeling of a last-minute win.

Neither could John Murphy! I listened to the radio and Murph said the PAT just tied the game? WTF, I thought it put us up one. Kelso corrected him. Then I expected us to lose on the hail Mary and our DC blitzes Kiko...Yes! (read Marv Albert),

Thanks Bill and posters for your comments and interpretations.

And e-ball I now get the interpretation of the goal line due to your explanation...I just had to look at it differently. ;( ... :)

More stats from updated ProFootballFocus.com:

• Mario Williams is tied for 2nd in QB Hurries with Robert Mathis. Freeney's first.
  • Mario Williams leads Aldon Smith 5-4 in the Sacks Race. Kerrigan, J Houston, and Mathis each have 3.
  • Fred Jackson is PFF's 4th-rated HB overall, behind McCoy, Vereen, and Sproles. What's-His-Initials is 46th. #statslie
  • Cordy is now PFF's 2nd-ranked overall LT. Pears is 11th ranked RT
  • Of 97 TEs in the NFL, Chandler has yet to get untracked. He's 90th. Lee Smith is 76th. CB and TE are my P1 and P2.
  • EJManuel is tied for 2nd with Cutler and Dalton for least-sacked with 1. Sam Bradford is first.
  • EJManuel3 5th in completion percentage behind Dalton, Romo, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers.

The ones I like the most (because these translate into efficiency and less turnovers) . . .

• Cordy is now PFF's 2nd-ranked overall LT. Pears is 11th ranked RT
  • EJManuel is tied for 2nd with Cutler and Dalton for least-sacked with 1. Sam Bradford is first.
  • EJManuel3 5th in completion percentage behind Dalton, Romo, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers.

But two things standout the other way:

1. We need to get more....how about just "some".....production out of the TE position
  2. Although having 100 yards Sunday, Spiller needs to be more productive for the team to be successful over the long haul.

Harder to bootleg from shotgun. No momentum and the D can see the qb more clearly. I hate that he's never under center. Limits the playbook. Hope Hackett mixes it up as EJ gets more comfortable.

I'm slightly baffled by this. Wasn't he under center a good percentage of the time at FSU? I really hate the shotgun or pistol on short yardage plays to the RB. They get the ball with no forward momentum and there's a delay in them getting to the line. Let the kid get to know Woods ass fercchrissakes.

Is anyone else annoyed with the hurry up? The coaching staff needs to realize that ball possession is so important in this league... they should have handled the end of the half better than they did...

No. The coaching staff must be given every chance to install their philosophy and succeed. That same no-huddle helped them maintain the momentum and avoided substitutions by the Panthers on that last drive. If the no-huddle is not working by week 8, then criticism is warranted. You have to give this team a chance to execute what they have practiced.

Just re-watched the last drive - a few things that stood out

- Freddy was all man on that drive - he made great plays to get extra positive yards

- Stevie was initially in serious pain when he hurt his hand/wrist going out of bounds on the first play. Looks to me like he might have sprained his wrist when he put his hand down to break his fall

- On EJ's scramble for the goal line, it is amazing to see the contrast between the reaction of two receivers on that play. TJ Graham sees EJ take off and half-heartedly throws an arm at Kuechly then does a pretty ballerina spin move in space for no one in particular. Woods, on the other hand, the second he sees EJ coming towards him comes barreling out of the end zone with full abandon and launches himself like a missle at Kuechly with no regard whatsover for his personal well-being (and gets enough of Kuechly to deflect him from getting a shot at EJ). Woods is even more one of my favorite players now. (Muderlyn made a great play BTW to stop 6'5" 240 lbs of full bore QB dead in his tracks)

- That TD throw was far from a simple toss to a wide open receiver - EJ has a blitzing player right in his face and lets go of the ball before Stevie even makes his break (before the DBs get confused - at the time EJ lets go of the ball the DB is still right on Stevie)

Also - on the last play - both Alonso and Hughes were coming on the blitz. If Alonso didn't get him, Hughes would have - no contest

Woods, on the other hand, the second he sees EJ coming towards him comes barreling out of the end zone with full abandon and launches himself like a missle at Kuechly with no regard whatsover for his personal well-being (and gets enough of Kuechly to deflect him from getting a shot at EJ).

I suspect that's why Woods wasn't in on the finally play. I think he almost knocked himself out trying to make that block. The kid is tough. I was dying inside when I saw Graham all by himself on the right side of the formation and Stevie and 7/11 on the other side. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Also - on the last play - both Alonso and Hughes were coming on the blitz. If Alonso didn't get him, Hughes would have - no contest

If I remember correctly, the reason Newton ducked was because he saw Hughes not Alonso. That was just a terrific defensive design. Every player in the front 5 had a responsibility and they carried them out PERFECTLY.

- On EJ's scramble for the goal line, it is amazing to see the contrast between the reaction of two receivers on that play. TJ Graham sees EJ take off and half-heartedly throws an arm at Kuechly then does a pretty ballerina spin move in space for no one in particular.

In a similar vein, what was Graham doing on Stevie's long reception (long run after catch). He gets in Stevie's way and never hits any Panthers.

I'm slightly baffled by this. Wasn't he under center a good percentage of the time at FSU? I really hate the shotgun or pistol on short yardage plays to the RB. They get the ball with no forward momentum and there's a delay in them getting to the line. Let the kid get to know Woods ass fercchrissakes.

Very good point.

You would think that with the Bills having an elite RB in Spiller, that we would use play action more and that seems to work better when the QB is under center

CBF