Huuuuge win

GoBills19

Another poster who was at the game mentioned this in the game day thread. There were WIDE open receivers he didn't throw to and instead checked down to the flat or RB's.

He missed a wide open Chandler for the TD on the first drive. He overthrew Stevie as well. He had the fumble. He had the horrible interception. And he had another near INT as well.

He played for poorly for 58 minutes.

If you disagree with me, that's ok. We have different opinions.

I don't know about horrible, but I agree with you. I am a big EJ fan but he had a bad game for 58 minutes overall. His stats look WAY better than he played. I don't blame the fumble on him, and even his INT it was a terrible pass but an equally terrible effort by TJ Graham. EJ didn't have a good game but it makes it even more impressive that when we needed him and when the game is on the line he was at his best and did about ten different little things you wouldn't expect from a rookie in his second game to do for a win. It's impossible to not be excited about his prospects, IMO.

I'm right here.

Sitting in my RV outside the Ralph with a big smile on my face.

EJ was terrible for 58 minutes but he played well when it counted. I'm a happy camper.

He wasn't playing for a while. I wouldn't say terrible, but he is a rookie and he does have a way to go. The intangibles are there for this kid. He has to get more accuracy on his passes (short, intermediate & long). He flicks the ball with ease and touch, but they are off the mark and it really stood out today. I expected some last week as general rustiness, but too often the pass catchers had to slow down or stop to adjust to make the catch. On long passes I have yet to see touch or timing. His INT at the end that was absolved by a penalty was lucky. He has to get better....

He flies through his progressions and checks down a ton, the TE in the flat pass for a yard or 2 was getting old. He is a rookie and I am ok with that for now. At some point, he needs to have the reigns let up and allowed to thread the needle and take some shots. I wouldn't let him to do that until I start seeing betetr accuracy....

Intangibles, the kid can feel pressure and he can sure run a good 2 minute drill...He has the arm and he has the brain. It was great win and hopefully a good confidence booster for him. All I hope to see is progress and improvement throughout the season. I am expecting a clunker or 2 as well this season....

Overall he is certainly encouraging. it was a good win.

He made some mistakes today, but came through when it was on the line.

A couple notes: that INT at the end wasn't a terrible throw - Keuchly's pass interference legitimately disrupted Stevie's route. Also, the INT that was upheld (a poor decision by EJ) was also a bad playcall imo. If i recall correctly, there were a ton of receivers bunched up right there. I could be remembering wrong. Still, he never should have thrown that.

Edited by NickelCity

He made some mistakes today, but came through when it was on the line.

A couple notes: that INT at the end wasn't a terrible throw - Keuchly's pass interference legitimately disrupted Stevie's route. Also, the INT that was upheld (a poor decision by EJ) was also a bad playcall imo. If i recall correctly, there were a ton of receivers bunched up right there. I could be remembering wrong. Still, he never should have thrown that.

There were 4 route runners and the RB as a safety valve. All four of the receivers ran a 4 or 5 yard hitch to the right, the Panthers were ready to react and jump to the ball. Still a bad pass by EJ, he should have thrown the ball to TJ's feet.

Another poster who was at the game mentioned this in the game day thread. There were WIDE open receivers he didn't throw to and instead checked down to the flat or RB's.

He missed a wide open Chandler for the TD on the first drive. He overthrew Stevie as well. He had the fumble. He had the horrible interception. And he had another near INT as well.

He played for poorly for 58 minutes.

If you disagree with me, that's ok. We have different opinions.

He missed Chandler and SJ in the opening drive. He is a rookie, that's expected. By the way, Newton overthrew several WR's. Newton also missed open WR's and threw the ball AWAY, and least EJ could check down and gain some yardage. Again, he's a ROOKIE. He played very very very well. He was poised the whole game, and outplayed Cam. He had ONE bad INT, oh, so did Newton. How many bad INTs were there across the NFL today, prob quite a few. The fumble was a result of pressure. I'd rather have a QB who is calm in the face of pressure than someone who gets happy-feet, feels pressure that isn't even there, and throws it away. You remind me of Steelers fans down here who though Ben was not that great his rookie year. EJ played okay-well, then outstanding on the final drive.

He wasn't playing for a while. I wouldn't say terrible, but he is a rookie and he does have a way to go. The intangibles are there for this kid. He has to get more accuracy on his passes (short, intermediate & long). He flicks the ball with ease and touch, but they are off the mark and it really stood out today. I expected some last week as general rustiness, but too often the pass catchers had to slow down or stop to adjust to make the catch. On long passes I have yet to see touch or timing. His INT at the end that was absolved by a penalty was lucky. He has to get better....

He flies through his progressions and checks down a ton, the TE in the flat pass for a yard or 2 was getting old. He is a rookie and I am ok with that for now. At some point, he needs to have the reigns let up and allowed to thread the needle and take some shots. I wouldn't let him to do that until I start seeing betetr accuracy....

Intangibles, the kid can feel pressure and he can sure run a good 2 minute drill...He has the arm and he has the brain. It was great win and hopefully a good confidence booster for him. All I hope to see is progress and improvement throughout the season. I am expecting a clunker or 2 as well this season....

Overall he is certainly encouraging. it was a good win.

A rookie QB who missed most of the preseason may need more than 1 game to shake the rust. I agree some of his passes had poor timing/overthrown, but he hit Woods quite a few times with outstanding timing. As he gets used to the NFL speed, I expect he will take more time on his reads and not check down so fast.

Edited by RyanC883

I don't understand how anyone could give EJs ENTIRE game performance anything less than a B+.

Any other critique of his is just way off. The kid was good most of the game and great at the end. Everything has to be measured in the context of the fact that he's a rookie playing in his second game.

A rookie QB who missed most of the preseason may need more than 1 game to shake the rust. I agree some of his passes had poor timing/overthrown, but he hit Woods quite a few times with outstanding timing. As he gets used to the NFL speed, I expect he will take more time on his reads and not check down so fast.

I agree. I wasn't trying to be overly critical, just pointing out areas he needs to continue to grow in. Overall, his leadership at the end of the game & how he ran the 2 minute drill was great and the best QB play I have seen in years here....

This will be taken wrong, but there were big wins at the beginning of the 2008 and 2011 seasons as well. At the time it was big to come from behind against Oakland at home and three years later at home over New England. Unfortunately, neither win signaled an end to the futility exhibited by this franchise,

There were good signs today from players taken in the most recent draft at difficult to find positions. Hopefully they carry this the rest of the season, but it'll take more than one come from behind win to build a season.

This will be taken wrong, but there were big wins at the beginning of the 2008 and 2011 seasons as well. At the time it was big to come from behind against Oakland at home and three years later at home over New England. Unfortunately, neither win signaled an end to the futility exhibited by this franchise,

There were good signs today from players taken in the most recent draft at difficult to find positions. Hopefully they carry this the rest of the season, but it'll take more than one come from behind win to build a season.

That can't be taken the wrong way and you are totally correct. Today was an encouraging sign...

Well put. Still very excited about the win and the hope for the future, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Then again, we're Bills fans, we get to savor and celebrate every sweet moment like its our last... Cause, well, it just might be! I think one thing different this year is that our team is full of rookies and young players and coaches that seem to be just scratching the surface of thie talent potential. Time will tell, but if we don't get our hopes up, how can we brutally crushed when things fall apart. As far as I'm concerned, that's part and parcel of being a bills fan!

There were 4 route runners and the RB as a safety valve. All four of the receivers ran a 4 or 5 yard .....

I saw that too and it really pissed me off.

TJ Graham should never, ever be told to run a 4 yard curl, and if he does EJ should never even consider throwing it at him. From the concept- to the (delayed) decision- to the execution, that whole thing was a disaster.

From the strategy to the tactics, that thing wasn't a mistake, it was a ginyouion blunder.

This win was huge. Huge difference between going 0-2 with losing 2 self inflicted heartbreaking losses at home and going 1-1 with a with a clutch(game on the line) performance from EJ. I said in the culture of failure thread, you want to end it...win, make a play to win a game. I think it was imporant not only for EJ's confidence but also for the teams confidence in EJ, that this kid can pull one out in the end.

Now I dont know if this team is going 5-11 or 10-6. If you were going to pick a win going into this year I would think the Panthers at home probably would of been in your top 5-6 choices. But if you lose 2 home at home, your chances of another 5-11 are almost certain.

Edited by billsfan714

This win was huge. Huge difference between going 0-2 with losing 2 self inflicted heartbreaking losses at home and going 1-1 with a with a clutch(game on the line) performance from EJ. I said in the culture of failure thread, you want to end it...win, make a play to win a game. I think it was imporant not only for EJ's confidence but also for the teams confidence in EJ, that this kid can pull one out in the end.

Now I dont know if this team is going 5-11 or 10-6. If you were going to pick a win going into this year I would think the Panthers at home probably would of been in your top 5-6 choices. But if you lose 2 home at home, your chances of another 5-11 are almost certain.

Great post....