iphone 5s

Pete

The wife has a 4 and I have a 4S. She's due for an upgrade, but I have to wait until Thanksgiving. We'll probably both be getting one of these two once my deal is up (we just got married so we still have separate accounts until my deal is up). I'm not all that picky about this stuff, but at this point, I'd rather stick with what is familiar. I'm glad I have to wait until November though, the initial rush to buy these things is always so stupid.

How much difference is there between the two new models? I haven't seen any of the descriptions yet, other than the finger print thing. I know I could just google it, but someone here will probably do a much better job of summing it up in terms that aren't way over my head.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it just seems like small potatoes compared to what's already out there. My question is, how does a friend or spouse open my phone while I'm driving. Hopefully there is still a backup password for use by someone other than the owner?

there has to be.

an interesting element: incriminating texts after opening via fingerprint? i wonder if the logs would store something like that.

The wife has a 4 and I have a 4S. She's due for an upgrade, but I have to wait until Thanksgiving. We'll probably both be getting one of these two once my deal is up (we just got married so we still have separate accounts until my deal is up). I'm not all that picky about this stuff, but at this point, I'd rather stick with what is familiar. I'm glad I have to wait until November though, the initial rush to buy these things is always so stupid.

How much difference is there between the two new models? I haven't seen any of the descriptions yet, other than the finger print thing. I know I could just google it, but someone here will probably do a much better job of summing it up in terms that aren't way over my head.

the 5c from what i heard in early reports is just the 5 guts in a new colorful package

the 5s likely has a bump in speed, camera, and a few odds and ends but nothing groundbreaking if it follows old patterns.

the 5c from what i heard in early reports is just the 5 guts in a new colorful package

the 5s likely has a bump in speed, camera, and a few odds and ends but nothing groundbreaking if it follows old patterns.

Sounds about right. The fingerprint thing is a gimmick, but it's cool for those of us who have to lock our phones (mine is set to always require the code b/c I access work email). Apple is making a big deal out of the camera improvements (dual-LED flash, larger pixel size, better light sensor) and the faster chip.

I'm not a lemming, but I do enjoy these products and because I've outfitted my home w/ a couple of Apple TVs and a Mac it doesn't really make sense for me to switch if I'm getting what I want/need out of them (which I am).

They both suck. Steve Jobs rocks! (rocked!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

Apple = Steve Jobs. You sure like to pick and choose what you like and don't like without rhyme or reason. If apple sucks why do you own their products? Does Walmart just take their suckitude to the next level?

Edited by Chef Jim

I don't get it.

texts are often ruled out in a court of law because anybody could have sent it that had access to the device - even with a password protected phone it can be hazy. if they were sent after reading your thumb print that issue gets cleared up pretty quick, no?

Edited by NoSaint

Apple = Steve Jobs. You sure like to pick and choose what you like and don't like without rhyme or reason. If apple sucks why do you own their products? Does Walmart just take their suckitude to the next level?

I am into photography and quite like the camera on the iphone. It is my guity pleasure. Other then that, I live fairly simply and buy local. APPL at $500 I look at as a benchmark for economy (along with the 10 year and baltic dry index). Right now Samsung and Droid are passing Iphone. And Apple's newest offering is basically nothing but cosmetic changes. For a company known for inovative changes, it is sad to hear them pimp new colors and a new leather case

I have Verizon as a service provider. Last time I upgraded it was to a iP5, but they said they did away with the waiting period for refreshing. Might just be in my area, but you should check it out because you might be able to get a new phone more quickly - if that's what you want to do.

Also, sell them your old phone. They'll take almost anything. We even got $10 for a beat Blackberry - broken screen, absolutely whipped keyboard, $50 for an old Motorola and >$100 for the old iPhone 4 and (I think) >$140 for a 4S.

Go talk to the people.

I have a 4s and I'm resisting the upgrade as I have one of the last grandfathered unlimited accounts from VW . . .

Same here. I was at one of the fake Verizon stores a couple weeks ago looking for a new belt holster, and the girl at the counter saw I was eligible for a new phone. Told her one reason I don't want a new contract is I have unlimited (even though I've never gone over 2GB/month yet). She said what they could do was add a second line to my account, give me the new phone, and program it with my old number. Said I would consider it, but haven't bit the bullet yet, because I don't want to pay for a line I'm not using.

I have a 4s and I'm resisting the upgrade as I have one of the last grandfathered unlimited accounts from VW . . .

Same here. I was at one of the fake Verizon stores a couple weeks ago looking for a new belt holster, and the girl at the counter saw I was eligible for a new phone. Told her one reason I don't want a new contract is I have unlimited (even though I've never gone over 2GB/month yet). She said what they could do was add a second line to my account, give me the new phone, and program it with my old number. Said I would consider it, but haven't bit the bullet yet, because I don't want to pay for a line I'm not using.

Uh, both Kelly and I have upgraded, one of us twice, I think me? without having to have a new contract. It rolls over. I am due for an upgrade right now as my contract is ready to lapse and I am waiting a few months for the 4Q phones.

I have no idea why you were both told you cannot keep your unlimited Verizon contracts. I can find the main number to their corporate office in NYC. It is literally where all of the big wigs are and when I had one call me back I asked about the contracts. They said that they will be renewed and we can keep the unlimited.

So I go to a Verizon store to get info and pricing on the 5s. Sales girl lost her commission on me. First thing out of her mouth should have been "what's your name/phone number?" Instead she him and haw about any question I had and could not give an answer to half my questions, which included asking what plans are available since my plan has ended.

I'm still considering getting one but will check out a different store instead.

So I go to a Verizon store to get info and pricing on the 5s. Sales girl lost her commission on me. First thing out of her mouth should have been "what's your name/phone number?" Instead she him and haw about any question I had and could not give an answer to half my questions, which included asking what plans are available since my plan has ended.

I'm still considering getting one but will check out a different store instead.

Call Verizon... Please. Please.

Often times you can talk to them about the phones, ask information, and usually even pull off getting a deal. "I really like the iPhone but it is pricey compared to the other one I like..." blablabla, use that line, ask if they can give you any type of discount for being a long timer. Even throw in at some point early that you like the Samsung Galaxy s4 Active....then ask if they have it. They'll say no. Say you want to check that one out. I have saved quite a bit of money doing this and it takes only minutes.

Plus, I promise you, your unlimited data is still available.

If you can, go to a "real" Verizon store. Most are franchises that are not run by corporate.

This was a real store, in the mall, but it was a real store. Not one of those VERIZON WIRELESS by Joe's cell store fake ones I've seen.

Call Verizon... Please. Please.

Often times you can talk to them about the phones, ask information, and usually even pull off getting a deal. "I really like the iPhone but it is pricey compared to the other one I like..." blablabla, use that line, ask if they can give you any type of discount for being a long timer. Even throw in at some point early that you like the Samsung Galaxy s4 Active....then ask if they have it. They'll say no. Say you want to check that one out. I have saved quite a bit of money doing this and it takes only minutes.

Plus, I promise you, your unlimited data is still available.

The normal, sales number, or some secret corporate number?