iphone 5s

Pete

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in this case "c" stands for "same" but with some new colors. Literally it's the same, but replacing the 5 for fresh marketing.

S is the half step upgrade which is always short of what you see at the full number upgrade. Still a few nice perks being added but lining up for pretty much any consumer product seems silly to me.

Depends on what cycle you are on for being eligible for a new phone.

Anyone who got the 4s two years ago and was due for an upgrade would get a significant jump with the 5s or 5c.

However anyone with a 5 going to 5s or 5c wouldn't make a ton of sense unless you had money to burn.

The thing I thought most interesting was their announcement that they would be giving away their iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers apps for free with iOS7. It wasn't clear if it was for new devices only but that is a nice suite of software to have for nothing.

The iPhone4 was my first smart phone...bought it in the summer of 2010 and have loved it ever since. Probably for me it would be a nice upgrade?

Free publicity all the time from the news media. We all need something to talk about, all the time.

At some point, it'd be nice if we all woke up from the planned obsolescence slumber, stopped throwing lots of limited precious metals and plastic in the garbage, and demanded that these things become a little more useful over the long-term.

BUT SHINY NEW THINGS. AND NOW THEY ARE COLORFUL.

The iPhone4 was my first smart phone...bought it in the summer of 2010 and have loved it ever since. Probably for me it would be a nice upgrade?

from a 4 it would definitely be an upgrade.

the 5c is just the 5 with a new exterior, the 5s is the typical half step upgrade but being a full number, and that S upgrade for you it would be noticeable.

I've got to admit that I'm biased as I moved away from iPhone a few years ago - I had a 3GS and I was annoyed at how quickly aspects of it became obsolete.

I prefer having removable storage that I can more easily back-up, and not being tied to my desktop machine and iTunes as the portal for all updates.

Also, since I work in audio, it's terrific to be able to more cleanly sync with Google docs, download and open zipped files, etc.

I also like how the GS3 sharing options (especially for photos) are super, super flexible. And once you go to a bigger screen, you really feel the difference.

I miss the Apple apps base - which is still second to none, but I still enjoy it via the iPad, and I'm pretty happy with the decision.

Yes, absolutely. For me and my wife, we are on alternating eligibility cycles so I currently have the 5 while she has the 4s. I'm eligible for an upgrade so I'll get the 5s, and then transfer my 5 over to her number. Then, next September we'll do the opposite. Works well for us and I wind up paying very little for the latest phone, as I'll sell the oldest one.

from a 4 it would definitely be an upgrade.

the 5c is just the 5 with a new exterior, the 5s is the typical half step upgrade but being a full number, and that S upgrade for you it would be noticeable.

Okay, cool, thanks. My biggest fear is that I'm not certain of what all is synced with iTunes and will carry over to the new phone once I upgrade. I'll have to make sure I research that before I get rid of this one. That's part of the reason why I haven't upgraded by now.

Yes, absolutely. For me and my wife, we are on alternating eligibility cycles so I currently have the 5 while she has the 4s. I'm eligible for an upgrade so I'll get the 5s, and then transfer my 5 over to her number. Then, next September we'll do the opposite. Works well for us and I wind up paying very little for the latest phone, as I'll sell the oldest one.

Have you had any issues transferring data to the new phone? I assume you backed it up on iTunes and then just synced with the new phone? My two biggest concerns would be my contact list and my "notes". It will take me a while to write all that stuff down so I have a hard copy lol.

Have you had any issues transferring data to the new phone? I assume you backed it up on iTunes and then just synced with the new phone? My two biggest concerns would be my contact list and my "notes". It will take me a while to write all that stuff down so I have a hard copy lol.

No issues -- the key is making a good backup right before you make the switch. Also, make sure you are saving your notes to the cloud as an "additional" backup.

No issues -- the key is making a good backup right before you make the switch. Also, make sure you are saving your notes to the cloud as an "additional" backup.

Perfect, thanks...I guess the only other issue would be the new cable. I have a couple docks and other cables that wouldn't be compatible anymore, but no biggie.

yup - just sync before you register the new phone and everything carries over in my experience.