Illegal Use of Hands

8rwg.jpg

Edelman's second TD, is this a manbearpig hug?

That was the most blatant non-call and I remember screaming about it. In general, the balance of calls was against us but we also shot ourselves on the foot way too many times. The CJ fumble, Stevie drop, Hughes' penalties.... lot of blame to spread around in a close loss but officiating just made sure we didnt get momentum.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the most blatant non-call and I remember screaming about it. In general, the balance of calls was against us but we also shot ourselves on the foot way too many times. The CJ fumble, Stevie drop, Hughes' penalties.... lot of blame to spread around in a close loss but officiating just made sure we didnt get momentum.

This is not holding in today's NFL. The only time I ever see holding called anymore is if the defense player is past the blocker or moving past him and the blocker tackles him/grabs and pulls him down/etc. If the blocker is between the defender and the QB then he can pretty much do whatever he wants in terms of grabbing, hugging, etc. You see this on most plays. Sad but it's all to help protect the QBs.

I do remember that call, and I was livid that they called that as the NE defender initally had his hands in Urbik's face.... Brutal call. Even worse, the non calls on holding with the NE offensive line. Sure, their line looks great when they can hold anyone going past them as Brady scrambles....

D. All of the above

Oh come on. The officiating now, really? Bills were on PI duty all game and Pats Held all game. That's pretty well a wash, right?

They played this thing to a single possession game against the Pats in a game with pretty typical NFL officiating. That's nothing to be ashamed of or need to make excuses for. This team is already better than last year with a rookie at QB and only 1 game in.

This offense gels a little bit and the playbook opens over time and its suddenly a pretty dangerous team no wussy ref whining required.

I agree that this is usually a BS call. However there is a shot where Urbik basically is giving the dude the Heissman all under his helmet with the helmet moving up. The line parted and it was pretty obvious given the fact the dudes helmet was almost pushed off.

Who has acceess to the ALL 22? Its after Freddy passes the LOS.

You'll drive yourselves crazy bitching about the refs. When the Bills were good, they got the calls. Refs are human. They are used to seeing good teams doing good things and vice versa.

Nothing the refs did decided that game.

Offensive linemen's hands should be taped up tight before every game so that there will never, ever be a chance of them being called for holding! I'm half serious. Maybe the people who created muzzles for animals' mouths can design something for linemen's hands. LOL Although I guess we'd still have some "Hands to the Face" penalties, but that's OK. At least we'd stop the cheaters from getting away with holding.

??? proper run blocking technique involves grabbing the defenders pads in the chest area and you can grab the jersey around the numbers are. Holding occurs when the hands get away from this area, one hand on the chest and one hand on the back, both hands on the shoulders etc..The only scenario which your theory would work is when a lineman grabs a jersey from behind or tugs a jersey on the arm, which usually is preformed after an o lineman is beat and is just bad offensive line play.

Good teams get the benefit of the doubt. How else can one explain a team dropping back to pass ca. 60 times (!) and not being called for a single hold?

Is it that they're good, or are they just giving the advantage to the larger market? Seriously, how much money does the NFL lose if Buffalo is playing in the playoffs and not New England, a market that's at least 5 times bigger?

Is it that they're good, or are they just giving the advantage to the larger market? Seriously, how much money does the NFL lose if Buffalo is playing in the playoffs and not New England, a market that's at least 5 times bigger?

So your theory is that maybe there is a league wide conspiracy to give the advantage to the larger market teams?

Why go to all that trouble? If the NFL does not want teams in small markets just move them. Its a lot easier than coordinating a very long term secret league wide conspiracy where one leak would blow the entire league out of the water (which is of course why there could not be such a conspiracy, they would never be able to keep it completely secret for so long).

You'll drive yourselves crazy bitching about the refs. When the Bills were good, they got the calls. Refs are human. They are used to seeing good teams doing good things and vice versa.

Nothing the refs did decided that game.

Sure it did.

In general I thought the lack of calls along the line was pretty surprising - nothing was getting called even when it was blatent. To be fair, I saw it go both ways - I saw some really blatent holds on Wilfork that went uncalled as well (and trust me - I hate that guy). I was really expecting things to be more tightly called but they weren't. They say you could pretty much call holding on any given play - I think they only way the Bills got screwed is if NE was holding far more than the Bills and I don't think that happened - I'm guessing the non-calls probably evened out.

I also believe the replay would show that Freddie was horsecollared to the ground from behind on the last play of the game which should have resulted in a 15 yard penalty moving the ball to the 49 for one untimed down to end the game. Not saying the Bills would have successfully pulled off the Hail Mary and won the game but that should have been called. Anybody else see that?

Sure it did.

The refs might have rescued the Bills and gave them a better chance to win, but the stats tell me the Bills got their ass kicked worse than the score indicated. For all the decent pressure they got on Brady and the few stops they made, the Bills as a team yielded about 500 yards. The defense needs to make more stops and get off the field.

The refs might have rescued the Bills and gave them a better chance to win, but the stats tell me the Bills got their ass kicked worse than the score indicated. For all the decent pressure they got on Brady and the few stops they made, the Bills as a team yielded about 500 yards. The defense needs to make more stops and get off the field.

Forget the stats. The Pats won by 2 points in the final minute of the game, scoring just 6 points in the 2nd half. Despite having a 37:43 to 22:17 edge in TOP. The offense being called for penalties left and right certainly had an affect on them and the defense and penalties being called on the Pats would have affected their stats as well. The penalty to which this thread refers occured near the end of the 3rd quarter and would have been a 1st at the NE 43 (I still haven't seen where Urbik had his hands to any Pats player's face) and at-worst should have been off-setting and replay of the 3rd and 1. Similarly the hold being called on Mario on the 3rd down could have changed the outcome.

Offensive linemen's hands should be taped up tight before every game so that there will never, ever be a chance of them being called for holding! I'm half serious. Maybe the people who created muzzles for animals' mouths can design something for linemen's hands. LOL Although I guess we'd still have some "Hands to the Face" penalties, but that's OK. At least we'd stop the cheaters from getting away with holding.

All Guards & Tackles could wear a type of boxing glove. That would stop some of the holding.