What if the Bills game is blacked out?

apikefish

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to drive 6 hours to watch the Bills play live - really wish I lived closer to make it to more games. I do have seasons but have to sell most of the games. It's a shame the games could get blacked out due to attendance

I don't get all the angst towards posters who would rather watch the game at home or in a bar that fly around these types of threads all the time.

I personally had season tickets for years before I moved away but have had tickets in the family for over 40 years and I don't remember ever feeling the need to lord over others that didn't attend as much as I did.

I get the idea of supporting the team or it will leave but in today's NFL isn't it just as important to have TV ratings up to keep the real NFL money maker rolling?

Shouldn't buying a new Bills jersey or t-shirt every year to watch in your living room or your favorite bar count too, or are those people also somehow less of a fan as well?

I would think people have tons of legitimate reasons for not being able to, or not wanting to attend the games so I can't see a good reason to attack them for choosing to have their entertainment in the way that is best suited for them. It is like telling someone they are an a-hole for deciding to wait for a movie on DVD instead of seeing it in the theater.

It makes more sense to challenge the NFL to see what they could do better to entice people back into the stadiums or what they could stop doing that is driving people away. I'm sure even those of us who still go to the games a lot can find things to improve in both of those categories.

I don't get all the angst towards posters who would rather watch the game at home or in a bar that fly around these types of threads all the time.

I personally had season tickets for years before I moved away but have had tickets in the family for over 40 years and I don't remember ever feeling the need to lord over others that didn't attend as much as I did.

I get the idea of supporting the team or it will leave but in today's NFL isn't it just as important to have TV ratings up to keep the real NFL money maker rolling?

Shouldn't buying a new Bills jersey or t-shirt every year to watch in your living room or your favorite bar count too, or are those people also somehow less of a fan as well?

I would think people have tons of legitimate reasons for not being able to, or not wanting to attend the games so I can't see a good reason to attack them for choosing to have their entertainment in the way that is best suited for them. It is like telling someone they are an a-hole for deciding to wait for a movie on DVD instead of seeing it in the theater.

It makes more sense to challenge the NFL to see what they could do better to entice people back into the stadiums or what they could stop doing that is driving people away. I'm sure even those of us who still go to the games a lot can find things to improve in both of those categories.

There you go trying to make sense. Don't you know that people who don't attend every game aren't fans? They shouldn't be allowed to watch the games or post comments on TBD. Crazy talk sir, just crazy.

Not sure that was in response to me. I have no issue with people watching at home, on the radio, or whatever they may like. I just wish I lived closer to be able to attend all the games.

It isnt too hard for people to do a game a year.....it really isnt all that much if you plan and save up for it. The cost of a ticket is by you saving $1-$2 per week.

I live on the west coast so I dont come back much during the season other than around Christmas (not on christmas) but becasue my SIL family are season ticket holders its harder for me to go because we usually will set up where a SAT or SUN is with my family and the other is across town with her family. If Buffalo is home Sunday for her family is out which means we do it on Sunday.

During the super bowl years I split season tickets with a few others. a friend of mine got season tickets and then throw his work 3 of his buddies and myself split a season tickets for 2 games each.

It happens that I will be in town over Columbus Weeekend so I intend on going to the Cincinati game. Still need to talk to my SIOL family on if they have any extra ticket or I just buy one for myself near their section or in their section.

No, I suppose you don't have to go to games, or buy merchandise, or watch the games, or listen to them on the radio, or even like the team to be a true Bills fan. :blink:

But you would think that any fan base who calls themselves the greatest in the NFL could sell out 72K seats in September.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not sure that was in response to me. I have no issue with people watching at home, on the radio, or whatever they may like. I just wish I lived closer to be able to attend all the games.

No response to really anyone. Just notice that every year someone asks about blackouts or where to watch a game usually causes a big debate and people who prefer home usually get hammered on which always confused me.

It isnt too hard for people to do a game a year.....it really isnt all that much if you plan and save up for it. The cost of a ticket is by you saving $1-$2 per week.

I agree for a lot of people this is probably true. I live about 150 miles away and will hit about 1 a year mixing in out of state games as well. I just think if someone prefers home over the stadium for whatever reason they shouldn't get crushed for it.

But you would think that any fan base who calls themselves the greatest in the NFL could sell out 72K seats in September.

PTR

It's disappointing how times have changed, but I don't think it's fair to call out an entire region or an entire fan base on an assumption they are all just lazy or not good enough seeing they don't want to attend.

In Rochester, and I assume Buffalo, the local CBS affiliate rebroadcasts blacked out games at least one time during the following week, and the time warner cable sports channel usually does as well, even more times.

Really? Regular season games? I am surprised the NFL would allow that. Or, are you just talking about pre-season games? I have seen it with pre-season, but those games are set up by the individual franchises, and the rights belong to the teams, not the NFL.

I have never heard of this being done with regular season games before.

They definitely never did it when I have lived in an NFL city... I didn't live in WNY at the time, but I seem to recall that the local NBC affiliate in Buffalo (WGRZ, maybe WGR back then) tried to lobby the NFL to allow them to show a re-broadcast of the legendary comeback game against the Oilers, but the NFL wouldn't allow it. They are pretty tight fisted abou this kind of thing...

Edited by Buftex

I generally don't really care one way or the other, but it does seem kind of screwed up that someone would drive 90 minutes in the opposite direction and spend 30$ on food and drink at a bar rather than drive 90 minutes and spend 40 bucks (especially if it's not sold out and you're not adverse to using Stubhub) to actually attend the game. To each his own. I wish I lived close enough to attend a few games every year.

Just a quick question on this topic- if I am in Syracuse and the game is blacked out on local tv, can i go to a sports bar that has the Sunday Ticket and watch the game? Or will it also be blacked out on the sunday ticket because we are in the local market? If anyone knows, thanks so much in advance

Would be blacked out at the bar as well.

Stop trying to make it happen. Corning is not going to happen.

This is a good game to go to. I am coming for the Ravens weekend. But this weekend should be great. The expansion team might have a good shot at the Panthers this week. Watched some of the Panthers/Seahawks replay and Panthers can be had. Cam still throws it where he shouldn't. Nice weather. Go. I was planning on it but my friend's tailgate is not happening this weeks game. Tells you where my head is. Guess I'm just like everyone else... if the tailgate is not....

Will be surprised if it doesn't sell out. but, thats why I buy the season tickets. Still, I support their right to exercise the blackout if they can't sell out. TV dampens their ticket demand, and they need to sell the seats....even with the TV big bucks they get.

I too get annoyed when people say "just buy a ticket and go the game!"

I live 123 miles from the Ralph yet if the game is blacked out I don't get to see it because my CBS/FOX stations are Rochester. It is hard enough to get by each week with enough for gas and groceries. I would have to spend $60-$100+ for a ticket, $25 for parking, $30 for gas and tolls just for ONE game. If I could afford it I would try to go, and I have gone once each of the past 5 years. But I feel like the blackout policy punishes fans like me who want to watch their team play but legitimately have reasons why they cannot go.