So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You assume he wouldn't be still nursing his wittle boo-boo even after we paid him.

As I said, you never know, but highly unlikely. There's far less motivation to put your health at further risk without greater financial reward.

As I said, you never know, but highly unlikely. There's far less motivation to put your health at further risk without greater financial reward.

And some players put on the cruise control after they score their big deal. Byrd isn't looking like a "team first" guy right now.

It is from his standpoint. It always takes two to tango. The days of players being beholden to the team that drafted them are long gone. Bills could have avoided all this by paying the man what he deserves in the free agency market.

So you're just proving my point, Byrd is a downright liar and needs to be on the field. Hes not the character guy that a lot of people thought he was. He needs to be on the field, that's it.

I'm wondering exactly what point you're trying to get at?

6.9 million financial reward

If Byrd is going to stick to the "I need to be 100%" line then it may be weeks before he goes. PF in some cases doesn't really fully heal for a long time.

His PF is too bad to play after an entire off-season sitting on his azz? How is sitting a few more weeks going to help? If anything the Bills were smart not to pay for damaged goods. And if he's lying that doesn't raise his value.

PTR

And some players put on the cruise control after they score their big deal. Byrd isn't looking like a "team first" guy right now.

Amen

Yea lets get rid of the best player in our secondary...love to watch Leonard and Williams get burnt all year

I dont know who is saying to get rid of him, we're saying he needs to get on the field and quit the theatrics

His PF is too bad to play after an entire off-season sitting on his azz? How is sitting a few more weeks going to help? If anything the Bills were smart not to pay for damaged goods. And if he's lying that doesn't raise his value.

PTR

Amen again brother

PTR

early reports were he looked to be in pretty good shape - might we agree that he wasnt just sitting around all offseason? or does stirring the pot and riling up the mob make the situation more enjoyable?

No Gordio. Byrd is a liar and a jerkface. Teams treat players who get injuried, old, & not deemed good enough like gold. A kid just die playing football. But Byrd should just accept whatever a team gives him out of the goodness of his heart. This whole situation sucks but it goes both ways. And the trashing of a man who has by all accounts a great head on his shoulders is sad and pathetic.

The Bills are not offering him to play for the league minimum. They paying him as a top 5 safety. If they franchise him again next year he will play as the top paid safety in the league. That is not good enough for the Byrdman though I guess.

My GUESS on this is that: 1. Byrd is actually experiencing real pain from PF (I hear nothing credible which indicates he is simply making this up) 2. PF is a pretty variable condition and all the posts that say I had it once and a couple of weeks of therapy is all Byrd needs to solve his problem are simply STUPID. There can be no credible claim that a posters PF and his are the same and even if they were medically his PF came from being a world class athlete and he must recover to the level to be a world class athlete and to claim any equivalency with out couch potato status is just STUPID. 3. That being said my GUESS is that if he needed to or wanted to he could play through the pain, BUT there are all sorts of business incentives for him not to play for a team which is not competing for the playoffs (yet). 5. The main reason he might take the risk of playing would be personal desire to be a part of the team right now and personal desire to be a part of the team effort right now. However, his teammates recognize we are not competing for the playoffs right now and are sympathetic to the business reasons for not playing. SUMMARY- Barring this team putting up a couple of Ws which make them competitive he can (and probably should as an American doing business) sit. He has a few weeks to let the situation play out and if he comes back then his teammates will easily forgive him and the coaches are saying the right things right now to welcome him back as well. As far as us fans he will need to rack up a couple of INTs when he comes back and if he does he will be forgiven by the fans as well.

My GUESS on this is that: 1. Byrd is actually experiencing real pain from PF (I hear nothing credible which indicates he is simply making this up) 2. PF is a pretty variable condition and all the posts that say I had it once and a couple of weeks of therapy is all Byrd needs to solve his problem are simply STUPID. There can be no credible claim that a posters PF and his are the same and even if they were medically his PF came from being a world class athlete and he must recover to the level to be a world class athlete and to claim any equivalency with out couch potato status is just STUPID. 3. That being said my GUESS is that if he needed to or wanted to he could play through the pain, BUT there are all sorts of business incentives for him not to play for a team which is not competing for the playoffs (yet). 5. The main reason he might take the risk of playing would be personal desire to be a part of the team right now and personal desire to be a part of the team effort right now. However, his teammates recognize we are not competing for the playoffs right now and are sympathetic to the business reasons for not playing. SUMMARY- Barring this team putting up a couple of Ws which make them competitive he can (and probably should as an American doing business) sit. He has a few weeks to let the situation play out and if he comes back then his teammates will easily forgive him and the coaches are saying the right things right now to welcome him back as well. As far as us fans he will need to rack up a couple of INTs when he comes back and if he does he will be forgiven by the fans as well.

Do you recognize the nature of the injury? It's all subjective. How do you know its NOT that easy as other posters have suggested? You don't, it's all subjective and that's why this stinks of an acting job.

Byrd isn't doing anything that any other player in his situation would be doing.

Does it suck? - Yes.

Is he putting the team first? - No.

Is the team putting him first? - Nope.

That's the nature of the business.

When people say "he needs to be out there," I have to respectfully disagree. He doesn't need to be out there. Gilmore's return is WAY more effective than Byrd's.

We'll be just fine without Byrd.

And every week our DBs continue to play well while he "reaches 100%," it will be illustrated exactly why you don't overpay a safety.

I have no issue with what Byrd's doing. But I won't shed any tears when he cleans out his locker on his way to the team stupid enough to pay him top dollar.

early reports were he looked to be in pretty good shape - might we agree that he wasnt just sitting around all offseason? or does stirring the pot and riling up the mob make the situation more enjoyable?

I meant that he wasn't getting knocked around a field. I'm sure he was working out. But if his PF is so bad he can't play after an entire off-season without attending a single OTA, mini-camp or training camp, then he's not worth $9M/yr because he is damaged goods. The other side of the coin is he's faking which means he's really not worth that kind of investment.

Two years ago Fred Jackson lead the NFL in combined yards. He let it be known that he felt he deserved a raise. Did Fred sit out or fake and injury? No. He kept playing. And guess what? The Bills gave him a deal that (briefly) made him the highest paid RB. So maybe not acting like a selfish douche makes teams feel like you are worth a big money? Maybe if Mr. Super Agent took a more reasoned approach his client would be signed by now?

PTR

Two years ago Fred Jackson lead the NFL in combined yards. He let it be known that he felt he deserved a raise. Did Fred sit out or fake and injury? No. He kept playing. And guess what? The Bills gave him a deal that (briefly) made him the highest paid RB. So maybe not acting like a selfish douche makes teams feel like you are worth a big money? Maybe if Mr. Super Agent took a more reasoned approach his client would be signed by now?

PTR

maybe byrd couldve said the same last year when he played hurt under a rookie deal that was paying grossly below his level of play. hes been patient with the organization. i dont get the need to find any angle possible to play him as the villain.

maybe byrd couldve said the same last year when he played hurt under a rookie deal that was paying grossly below his level of play. hes been patient with the organization. i dont get the need to find any angle possible to play him as the villain.

He's not a villain. But the way you carry on a negotiation affects the outcome. If you come out of the box with "I'm the best. Pay me like the best or else" is not conducive to a productive back-and-forth. If you chose to drop the hammer in your opening offer then don't be surprised if you get a big "f##k you" in return.

PTR

He's not a villain. But the way you carry on a negotiation affects the outcome. If you come out of the box with "I'm the best. Pay me like the best or else" is not conducive to a productive back-and-forth. If you chose to drop the hammer in your opening offer then don't be surprised if you get a big "f##k you" in return.

PTR

and we have no idea how those discussions are going behind closed doors. what if the bills lowballed him grossly knowing they had him 2 years minimum already and wanted to force him to audition for his job in the new scheme before they paid him.... might that justify his feelings of "i dont know what else they need to see from me at this point" and possibly flip the script that youve created for a guy that played injured for them for 800k last year?

obviously injury would be a valid discussion that would throw a monkey wrench into the contract discussions and may have made them much more complicated too.

Edited by NoSaint

The flip side is that he views the team as not being committed to him either.

This topic has been through a lot, and nothing new will come out of it.

You're of the mindset that the players should be beholden to the teams that drafted them, especially when the franchise tag is in place. The players' view is that they have only one shot at a big time contract, and franchise designation doesn't quite get them there. It's a far stretch to say that Byrd is lying about his injury. But it's far more fair to say that he is not going to take additional risks without the long term deal in place.

The Bills are not offering him to play for the league minimum. They paying him as a top 5 safety. If they franchise him again next year he will play as the top paid safety in the league. That is not good enough for the Byrdman though I guess.

but if he think he is the top safety in the league, why should he settle for less? His stats on a team with a terrible defense can justify him being the top paid safety. Question: if Byrd hit the open market after last year, is he the top paid S in the NFL? IMO, there's no doubt he would be.

I hate this scenario but I also hate that fans put it all on the player. People are acting like they would be happy settle for less money than they feel they are owed. And the pathetic attacks on his contract because of business is childish.

If Byrd leaves the Bills, I could less about him. But I will always have a hard time faulting any football player for trying to maximize their money in a cutthoart business like the NFL. Teams crap on players the second they are not useful to them. Why should players have the same loyalty?

Byrd isn't doing anything that any other player in his situation would be doing.

Does it suck? - Yes.

Is he putting the team first? - No.

Is the team putting him first? - Nope.

That's the nature of the business.

When people say "he needs to be out there," I have to respectfully disagree. He doesn't need to be out there. Gilmore's return is WAY more effective than Byrd's.

We'll be just fine without Byrd.

And every week our DBs continue to play well while he "reaches 100%," it will be illustrated exactly why you don't overpay a safety.

I have no issue with what Byrd's doing. But I won't shed any tears when he cleans out his locker on his way to the team stupid enough to pay him top dollar.

I pretty much agree with all of this. And it's very easy to hate Parker, but he got Peters what he wanted. It's a billion dollar business. Byrd helped make Oregon millions of dollars and didn't get a cent. So now that he has a chance to get every penny he can, he deserves whatever he can get paid. Like it or not, it's his job. I'm sure most posters won't want someone else tellign them how to handle their job.

Nail on the head. But like most things in this country, you have to take an extreme stand one way or the other. Since we're Bills fans, Byrd is a selfish idiot who has poor character. If Byrd was our brother or son, he should get every penny from his greedy employer. Personally, I see this from both sides of the table and they both have valid points.