So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

Why would a team be willing to trade for Byrd since he's on a 1 year contract, effectively he may be able to play 14 games assuming he's "faking" his current injury. If not would a team be willing to risk a draft pick for a 1 yr rental?

I think the idea is another team would then have to franchise him and work out a long term deal rather than lose him at the end of the year. So, this limits his suitors to teams that don't need to use the tag on another player. Or, like you said, a team in dire straights trying to make a playoff run needs to think he can help this year, which won't happen if he can't even play.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he sits all year, it will be hard to get that sweet deal he wants....he has an incentive to play. If he sits all year, the Bills will cut him loose, and he will get another 1 year NFL contract somewhere, but not the megabuck one he wants.

Exactly. Great point.

Children should be seen and not heard. Byrd is a childish punk who has had the world handed to him on a silver platter his whole life because his father played in the league. Now a little adversity hits him and he folds like a napkin. I've seen all I need to see of Byrd's "character" .......I hope he never plays another down in Buffalo. just my 2 cents. :thumbdown:

LV

I would think if he wants to be traded he would play and try to play well. If he plays well that would help him get noticed by other teams.

You would think so, but Jason Peters held out longer and played awful, but still secured a contract that at the time was one of the most lucrative contracts for a tackle in the history of the league.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

OK, time to call BS on this plantar fasciitis.

Byrd is clearly just picking up his paycheck and keeping from not getting injured by not playing, citing an injury that is impossible to disprove and not permamnent.

I have had PF, and I can tell you, depending on how bad it is, 2-3 weeks of wearing an orthotic and stretching will fix it. Especially a top-grade athlete like Byrd.

So, in essence, the Bills are playing by the rules of the CBA, and mssngrs Parker and Byrd have decided not to, abide by those rules.

At what point can the Bills take action? Or the players union for that matter - the CBA is a negotiated agreement and the rules need to apply to both sides.

Byrd is a liar and is stealing 6.9m this year. There, I said it.

Byrd is clearly just picking up his paycheck and keeping from not getting injured by not playing, citing an injury that is impossible to disprove and not permamnent.

I have had PF, and I can tell you, depending on how bad it is, 2-3 weeks of wearing an orthotic and stretching will fix it. Especially a top-grade athlete like Byrd.

So, in essence, the Bills are playing by the rules of the CBA, and mssngrs Parker and Byrd have decided not to, abide by those rules.

At what point can the Bills take action? Or the players union for that matter - the CBA is a negotiated agreement and the rules need to apply to both sides.

Saying it does not matter in the least. You, the Bills and/or the players union (who wouldn't do anything in a situation like this anyway) would have to prove it. Which as you pointed out, they can't.

And I disagree with your statement about Byrd not playing by the rules of the CBA. I think he is, the CBA allows for this situation.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Saying it does not matter in the least. You, the Bills and/or the players union (who wouldn't do anything in a situation like this anyway) would have to prove it. Which as you pointed out, they can't.

And I disagree with your statement about Byrd not playing by the rules of the CBA. I think he is, the CBA allows for this situation.

This is what is so maddening about this situation. You would think a person with his "character", as some have said he has, would not have the ability or want to lie about this. He would want to be out there and earn his worth. He says his PF is causing him to not be able to play, but guess what, he's played with it even last year. At a very high level at that. Get on the field you filthy liar.

/rant

Good for you. Feel better now?

I hate posts like this. Not one person on this board has any idea what Byrd is dealing with and we all just assume he's faking. This reminds me of a few years ago when someone claimed McGee was faking his injury and it turned out he had nerve damage and could barely walk, much less play.

Byrd might be upset, but he gains no leverage by faking an injury. None

Children should be seen and not heard. Byrd is a childish punk who has had the world handed to him on a silver platter his whole life because his father played in the league. Now a little adversity hits him and he folds like a napkin. I've seen all I need to see of Byrd's "character" .......I hope he never plays another down in Buffalo. just my 2 cents. :thumbdown:

LV

I'm sorry but this is the ultimate sour grapes post. You don't know a thing about Byrd as a person. He has said very little during this whole process and all you have is media guesswork. How many of us would want their contract negiotations public? Especially play a game where your career could end on one play and the tema could cut you & never have to pay you another cent.

This is complete BS and it's stuff like this that makes me understand why players can hate fans. The second a player doesn't something you don't agree with, you start trashing them as person??? it's complete crap and it's embarrassing the amount of disrespectful tweets Byrd has gotten. I can't imagine why he won't stay here. Fans tell players all the time they need to grow up. Maybe fans should take their own advice.

And for the record, I want Byrd to play but honestly, I don't care. Play with the guys you got.

I will 2nd this. I had PF one time about 5 years ago. It was incredibly painful where some days I could not even put pressure on my foot without crumbling to the ground. After about a week of not being really able to walk I went to the doctor. He showed me some exercises, told me to done wear flip flops/sandels for awhile(it was summer time), told me to ice it down every chance I get & wrote me a prescription for 800mg Ibprofin. I followed what my doctor told me to do & it was completely gone in about 10 days. There is noway with the amount of medical attention that these guys have at their disposal that this should still be a problem. This is nothing more then Byrd/Parker making a stand. This says everything about Byrd's charachte. Yeah the franchise tage is not ideal if your a player but hey it is in the CBA. If he plays under it this year & next year he will make over $15 million in 2 years. Is that really so bad & so out of range what they are asking for anyways?

I will 2nd this. I had PF one time about 5 years ago. It was incredibly painful where some days I could not even put pressure on my foot without crumbling to the ground. After about a week of not being really able to walk I went to the doctor. He showed me some exercises, told me to done wear flip flops/sandels for awhile(it was summer time), told me to ice it down every chance I get & wrote me a prescription for 800mg Ibprofin. I followed what my doctor told me to do & it was completely gone in about 10 days. There is noway with the amount of medical attention that these guys have at their disposal that this should still be a problem. This is nothing more then Byrd/Parker making a stand. This says everything about Byrd's charachte. Yeah the franchise tage is not ideal if your a player but hey it is in the CBA. If he plays under it this year & next year he will make over $15 million in 2 years. Is that really so bad & so out of range what they are asking for anyways?

How much do you typically run during a week for your job?

This is what is so maddening about this situation. You would think a person with his "character", as some have said he has, would not have the ability or want to lie about this. He would want to be out there and earn his worth. He says his PF is causing him to not be able to play, but guess what, he's played with it even last year. At a very high level at that. Get on the field you filthy liar.

/rant

Next year during his introductary press conference with his new team he will be asked about this and he will finally admit that he could have played if he wanted but did not want to risk injury.

CBF

You should be his agent!!! Hey, completely play through this injury on a one year deal so you can prove yourself to Zazie!!!

It sucks this is happening to the Bills but it's also crap to put this all on Byrd. No one cares when the Pats cut a guy with treatable diabetes but the second a player doesn't just bow to a team's wishes, they're the devil. such a double standard.

I'm sorry but this is the ultimate sour grapes post. You don't know a thing about Byrd as a person. He has said very little during this whole process and all you have is media guesswork. How many of us would want their contract negiotations public? Especially play a game where your career could end on one play and the tema could cut you & never have to pay you another cent.

This is complete BS and it's stuff like this that makes me understand why players can hate fans. The second a player doesn't something you don't agree with, you start trashing them as person??? it's complete crap and it's embarrassing the amount of disrespectful tweets Byrd has gotten. I can't imagine why he won't stay here. Fans tell players all the time they need to grow up. Maybe fans should take their own advice.

And for the record, I want Byrd to play but honestly, I don't care. Play with the guys you got.

These contracts are not guaranteed anyways. He could sign a 7 year contract get hurt, not be as good as he used to be & the team could still cuit him. Just because a guy signs a $50 million contract does not mean he is going to see every penny of that.