Biggest bust in last half decade?

dave mcbride

Maybin, hands down, just because of that stupid song he commissioned, coupled with his holdout. That also qualifies him as biggest douche in the past decade as well.

Yea, for the Buffalo Bills. Maybin had huge bust written all over him as he was a true one year wonder at Penn St. His claim to fame was " you can't teach speed", and apparently the Bills couldn't teach him to play OLB either.

The supposed sack master that had zero sacks in his time with the Bills. Wow, first round money for a complete scrub. Coulda had #13 Brian Cushing, #15 Brian Orakpo, # 26 Clay Matthews

The biggest NFL draft bust has to be Oakland Raiders #1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell !! This scrub held out thru training camp for more money!! Finally settling for a Six year contract for 68 million, with $31.5 million guaranteed.

Strongest arm ever....with the work ethic of a crack addict.

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin was not a bigger bust than Curry. People had doubts about Maybin; no one that I know of had doubts about Curry.

Agreed, and that's the difference. Maybin looked like a potential disaster from the get-go. I broke out my rosary that draft day, but my prayers to Jesus went unanswered.

Yah. Wasn't quite half a decade. But it was close since he was drafted prior to 2007 season start (6 years) ;-)

OK, so looking back in the last 5 years only... to go w/ Curry here are the biggest busts I could find:

-- Vernon Gholston drafted #6 overall in 2008 by the Jets, out of the league after 3 years

-- Derrick Harvey drafted #8 overall in 2008 by Jaguars, out of the league after 4 years

-- Jason Smith drafted #2 overall in 2009, busted out of St. Louis after 2 1/2 years, still in the league though

-- Aaron Maybin makes the list for 2009 as well... 'nuff said

-- AJ Jenkins drafted #30 overall (1st round) by 49ers just last year and they've given up on him already, KC is trying him now

Edited by cage

Agreed, and that's the difference. Maybin looked like a potential disaster from the get-go. I broke out my rosary that draft day, but my prayers to Jesus went unanswered.

The man upstairs decided that you needed to do more penance before answering your prayers. If you lived a more righteous life maybe the Bills would have better drafts. :worthy:

I can't say it was Maybin only because he was projected to be a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. The Bills management was a bust on that reach. Since the time frame is in the last 5 years I would have to say is Vernon Gholston. A small but speedy DE in college but could not fit in as DE or OLB in the NFL.

Edited by Nitro

OK, so looking back in the last 5 years only... to go w/ Curry here are the biggest busts I could find:

-- Vernon Gholston drafted #6 overall in 2008 by the Jets, out of the league after 3 years

-- Derrick Harvey drafted #8 overall in 2008 by Jaguars, out of the league after 4 years

-- Jason Smith drafted #2 overall in 2009, busted out of St. Louis after 2 1/2 years, still in the league though

-- Aaron Maybin makes the list for 2009 as well... 'nuff said

-- AJ Jenkins drafted #30 overall (1st round) by 49ers just last year and they've given up on him already, KC is trying him now

I'm not sure if its fair to dip into the 2nd round in defining busts, but I just looked at 2008's infamous WR class where the Devin Thomas, James Hardy, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed and Dexter Jackson all flamed out rapidly (in 1-3 years)

I don't think a QB even #1 can be the same level of bust as any other position, simply because (while unfortunate when it is you) there is an expected 50% bust factor in general, and that is understood and accepted because the payoff of a top QB is so high.

But when you take a LT or a LB or DE, or a skill player in the top 10, you are really expecting that player to have a floor of "good useful player for 5+ seasons" and a reasonable expectation of "great player for 7+ seasons".

I don't think Maybin can be considered, as big of a bust as he was, because he wasn't even a top 10 pick. I think Curry is the type that really fits, and there probably are a few other examples like that.

I have to go with Aaron Curry. Everyone thought that he'd be a stud, and at the time many said that he was actually the best player but didn't deserve to go #1 overall because of his position (LB). How could such a great college player with such great measurables flop so badly? He was far more highly touted than, say, Maybin.

He retired from the NFL last Wednesday (August 28).

We had one just the same for 4 days He won the Hiesman it happens all the time & no one can figure it out :huh::excl: