Winfield retiring

he didn't make the team with the best DB's in the league so he is retiring? he's crazy. he would have made the team in 31 other cities. probably as a starter at most of them. if he didn't want to play then he would have retired before going to seattle

Edited by kdiggz

And Takeo Spikes, Nate Clements, Ted Washington, and so on.

I also was really hopiung Antoine would come back to Buffalo for a reasonable price, and fill in a hole. He would have been great for the inexperienced guys, and once Gilmore gets back could have been excellent both against the run and pass. What he lost a little in a step, and COD, he would ahve made up with his knowledge of the game, and making sure guys on the field are in the right position, and reading offenses.

+1

That would be the same front office that has re-upped Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, Leodis McKelvin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Scott Chandler and numerous others as well as shelling out serious $$ for Mario Williams and handing over 7 Million to Byrd as franchise tag recently. What is it about reality in the salary cap era that proves so confounding for some fans? You have to pick your spots in today's NFL. It is no longer a viable option to keep every player that you would have in previous decades. Give credit where due.

And next year when we are having this conversation about CJ Spiller, Byrd round 2, and Dareus, will you still be lamenting the lack of an $8 Million annual commitment to a guard? Which of those 3 would you choose Levitre over?

Edited by cwater10

As much as I like Levitre, I agree he was overpaid as well as Pozluzny. They were both good, but for the money. The problem I've had with the FO is we don't recognize earlier a talented player and resign him before the $ gets too high. For example, what we did with Wood. We should have resigned Levitre 1.5 yrs before he was up and would have resigned him for $4.5. That would have been the smart move. I hope we get it together with Byrd and find a decent price for him now, and give him a 5 yr deal.

I still am holding out hopes Whaley will fly to Winfield and talk him into staying in the game for two more years. It would be excellent for the team, and once Gilmore is back, he wouldn't have to play every down and keep him healthy.

And next year when we are having this conversation about CJ Spiller, Byrd round 2, and Dareus, will you still be lamenting the lack of an $8 Million annual commitment to a guard? Which of those 3 would you choose Levitre over?

This is a false argument. I don't see San Francisco or Seattle, teams stocked with talent, releasing top players to sign other ones. Why not? The Bills are $20m under the salary cap. They had plenty of room to sign Levitre, Byrd AND Spiller next season.

That would be the same front office that has re-upped Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, Leodis McKelvin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Scott Chandler and numerous others as well as shelling out serious $$ for Mario Williams and handing over 7 Million to Byrd as franchise tag recently. What is it about reality in the salary cap era that proves so confounding for some fans? You have to pick your spots in today's NFL. It is no longer a viable option to keep every player that you would have in previous decades. Give credit where due.

Really? Are you going to list Urbik and Pears too? They were re-signed. These guys are not the same as Levitre or Byrd. Those are the guys you CUT to sign top guys like Levitre and Byrd.

Edited by vincec

Don't get me wrong, I am happy the FO was able to extend Wood, who I believe,(if he can stay healthy) will be our center for the next decade, and I'm happy about them re-upping Stevie, and even Kyle Williams,(though he seems like he may be on the downside), and yes, paying the big bucks to go after Mario.

However, with that said, I still believe they could've at least re-signed ONE between Levitre and Byrd, if not both. If it in fact is the case that neither wanted to be here, which is a distinct possibility, then God bless them both and don't let the door hit you on the way out, but, as vincec just said, they had plenty of money to re-sign both.