So Byrd is hurt too

Jdragon2

When it was suggested here a week ago after he signed his tender that he may try to screw the Bills or get some type of revenge, people went bananas. Well, he hasn't even done anything now he can't play because of a foot injury? Good chance that here comes the hissy fit on Byrd's part, and if it isn't obvious he is done here after this year then nothing would make it obvious.

I just can't believe this. It's one thing to have contempt for and screw over the front office, it's quite another when it's your teammates. I gotta believe that having grown up around the game, Byrd would know this more than anyone.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone considered the possibility that byrd's injury is legitimate? training camp injuries are pretty common. it's rather likely that it is.

just don't get the rationale of many on this board. byrd tries to negotiate a better deal for himself and fails and he's evil. rw negotiates against the fans for 50 years and wins and folks here are upset at his accurate characterization in a deadspin satire. go figure...

has anyone considered the possibility that byrd's injury is legitimate? training camp injuries are pretty common. it's rather likely that it is.

just don't get the rationale of many on this board. byrd tries to negotiate a better deal for himself and fails and he's evil. rw negotiates against the fans for 50 years and wins and folks here are upset at his accurate characterization in a deadspin satire. go figure...

It's gotta be a real injury. And it makes sense to proceed with caution as well. Byrd has nothing at all to gain and everything to lose by malingering. I just can't see him doing that. Makes no sense on any level.

GO BILLS!!!

so far, no harm no foul.

Tyrd was not going to play in the Detroit game anyways.

we just have to wait and see how the regular season plays out.

it's just not out of the realm of possibilities, that if Tyrd wants out, that his best way is to use minor injuries as a way to miss games.

what Jairus Tyrd should of said is - hell no i'm not happy, I wanted the security of a long term deal. but i'm a professional and I will go out and play my best. the bills are still paying me a lot of money and I intend to earn it.

so far, no harm no foul.

Tyrd was not going to play in the Detroit game anyways.

we just have to wait and see how the regular season plays out.

it's just not out of the realm of possibilities, that if Tyrd wants out, that his best way is to use minor injuries as a way to miss games.

what Jairus Tyrd should of said is - hell no i'm not happy, I wanted the security of a long term deal. but i'm a professional and I will go out and play my best. the bills are still paying me a lot of money and I intend to earn it.

This would be career threatening behavior. And his value would plummet as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

This would be career threatening behavior. And his value would plummet as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

career threatening ?? I doubt it. first of all, no one but Jairus will really know the severity of his injuries. so anyone questioning his integrity will be guessing. as far as team doctors go, it's pretty easy to mislead them regarding pain threshold. Jairus is more than smart enough to game the system without hurting his reputation in the least.

Jairus Tyrd is going to get paid, big time, with or without the Bills, no matter how many games he misses this year or next due to injury. it just may have to wait until the 2015 season, assuming the bills tag him in 2014.

career threatening ?? I doubt it. first of all, no one but Jairus will really know the severity of his injuries. so anyone questioning his integrity will be guessing. as far as team doctors go, it's pretty easy to mislead them regarding pain threshold. Jairus is more than smart enough to game the system without hurting his reputation in the least.

Jairus Tyrd is going to get paid, big time, with or without the Bills, no matter how many games he misses this year or next due to injury. it just may have to wait until the 2015 season, assuming the bills tag him in 2014.

With all due respect, it just doesn't work that way in an NFL locker room. The severity of the injury will be very well known by the team and everyone on it. He will not be able to bullschitt his injury with other players who all play through pain and discomfort at one time or another. They will know the score and if he brings that on the field they will insist he get off it in favor of someone else who's willing to give 100% between the lines. You can't fake it on the field in the eyes of your teammates.

If he's really not well enough to play, he won't. It's up to the coaches to get the best (read: healthiest) players out there. If he's injured, he can't BE out there.

Byrd has to continue to play at a high level in order for him to cash in like he wants to. Whether he's hurt or is faking it will effect his ability to do just that. And his value decreases as a result. If he loses his credibility as well, it will plummet.

GO BILLS!!!

With all due respect, it just doesn't work that way in an NFL locker room. The severity of the injury will be very well known by the team and everyone on it. He will not be able to bullschitt his injury with other players who all play through pain and discomfort at one time or another. They will know the score and if he brings that on the field they will insist he get off it in favor of someone else who's willing to give 100% between the lines. You can't fake it on the field in the eyes of your teammates.

If he's really not well enough to play, he won't. It's up to the coaches to get the best (read: healthiest) players out there. If he's injured, he can't BE out there.

Byrd has to continue to play at a high level in order for him to cash in like he wants to. Whether he's hurt or is faking it will effect his ability to do just that. And his value decreases as a result. If he loses his credibility as well, it will plummet.

GO BILLS!!!

nonsense, the players are 100% in his corner. from the players perspective, he got screwed over by the bills by playing on a one year deal. in private, they are encouraging him to NOT risk his career by playing through an injury. the only thing 90% of these guys care about is getting paid. the win/loss record is a distant second. the only time winning becomes more important than money is when the athlete has already been paid huge amounts of money from previous years.

I disagree. Byrd is a two-time pro-bowler and is tied for 3rd in most interceptions in the NFL since 2009. He has already proven himself in the NFL and other teams will jump on the opportunity to sign him. It's in his best interest to not get significantly injured this season so he can cash-in next season. A little "toe" injury is the perfect excuse to not play, get paid this season, and at the same time not have other teams question you next off-season. Again, this POS better play week 1.

I gotta' agree with BB. Let's not forget that Byrd has the same hip condition as Percy Harvin so teams will already be wary of him medically. If he has an injury affected season he could end up getting less than half of what he and Parker are demanding in FA.

I wonder, do other teams have a difficult history of dealing with Parker clients or is it just the Bills? And, have the Bills ever had any Parker clients that didn't end up being headaches? Seems to me we should start avoiding his players.

Parker was attracted to the Bills by their weak will.

When Levy/Brandon took over the team they quickly set a bad precedent of granting players their freedom from contractual obligations. It wasn't just one or two things, in the span of about a year they granted trade requests of Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes and promised to not re-franchise Nate Clements if he would play one more season at his tender.

These are not the kind of things that "other teams" do. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Just because they want to play somewhere that they can get a new and improved contract or where they have a better chance to win does not mean that you entertain that request.

The effects of those decisions are still felt today. That opened the door for the Peters and Marshawn Lynch leveraged trades....it emboldened Aaron Schobel to try to force management into letting him just show up for games otherwise he would quit.......and now it is manifested again here with Byrd. Parker knows that if he applies to right pressure, Russ Brandon will crack. Such tactics aren't as effective on teams that don't allow the tail to wag the dog. I mean do you ever hear about the NY Giants getting worked like this? No, it happens because the agent sees the weakness and as long as the Bills keep caving Parker can expect a steady stream of Bills clients.

Parker was attracted to the Bills by their weak will.

When Levy/Brandon took over the team they quickly set a bad precedent of granting players their freedom from contractual obligations. It wasn't just one or two things, in the span of about a year they granted trade requests of Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee and Takeo Spikes and promised to not re-franchise Nate Clements if he would play one more season at his tender.

These are not the kind of things that "other teams" do. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Just because they want to play somewhere that they can get a new and improved contract or where they have a better chance to win does not mean that you entertain that request.

The effects of those decisions are still felt today. That opened the door for the Peters and Marshawn Lynch leveraged trades....it emboldened Aaron Schobel to try to force management into letting him just show up for games otherwise he would quit.......and now it is manifested again here with Byrd. Parker knows that if he applies to right pressure, Russ Brandon will crack. Such tactics aren't as effective on teams that don't allow the tail to wag the dog. I mean do you ever hear about the NY Giants getting worked like this? No, it happens because the agent sees the weakness and as long as the Bills keep caving Parker can expect a steady stream of Bills clients.

and all of this is true, except I don't see the Bills cracking this time. they intend to play this out to their advantage. even if Tyrd acts up, they will still tag him next year, unless of course he is willing to sign what they view as a reasonable long term deal, which he won't.

and all of this is true, except I don't see the Bills cracking this time. they intend to play this out to their advantage. even if Tyrd acts up, they will still tag him next year, unless of course he is willing to sign what they view as a reasonable long term deal, which he won't.

I think you are right. I just have to believe that Brandon is smart enough to have learned from the plethora of mistakes he has been involved in. The question then is what will Parker and Byrd do when they realize that the tactics aren't going to work? I mean, even if he plays out this season with the abandon he did last year and manages to survive it, the Bills can still franchise he yet again. One thing I feel certain about......they can't trade him and let him get that big new contract he is seeking. I don't care if someone offered a late first round pick. If they do, the next guy is going to think he can pull the same BS. And the next guy might be a much more important player....like maybe the QB. The cycle has to end. They held their ground with Schobel but they undermined that by dealing Lynch. Now is the time to stop the nonsense altogether.

nonsense, the players are 100% in his corner. from the players perspective, he got screwed over by the bills by playing on a one year deal. in private, they are encouraging him to NOT risk his career by playing through an injury. the only thing 90% of these guys care about is getting paid. the win/loss record is a distant second. the only time winning becomes more important than money is when the athlete has already been paid huge amounts of money from previous years.

I agree with the nonsense part.

You couldn't be more wrong about what happens between the lines on the field of play.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with the nonsense part.

You couldn't be more wrong about what happens between the lines on the field of play.

GO BILLS!!!

can you name just one Franchised tagged player who ran afoul of his teammates and/or eventually didn't get his huge payday ?

can you name just one Franchised tagged player who ran afoul of his teammates and/or eventually didn't get his huge payday ?

Can you name one franchise tagged player that faked an injury and dogged it on the field and still maintained the respect of his teammates?

GO BILLS!!!

Can you name one franchise tagged player that faked an injury and dogged it on the field and still maintained the respect of his teammates?

GO BILLS!!!

so we will start with NO you can't name one player.

then I will concede that I have no way of knowing who is faking.

therefore, any injury, real or faked, will be considered real and have no effect on the player eventually cashing in.

so we will start with NO you can't name one player.

then I will concede that I have no way of knowing who is faking.

therefore, any injury, real or faked, will be considered real and have no effect on the player eventually cashing in.

We've come full circle. Right back to the nonsense previously cited.

If you really think that it's just fine and dandy for his teammates that Byrd fakes an injury and dogs it on the field and that none of them will hold that against him because they are all united against big bad management that tried to screw one of their own, then what can I say? That just seems very naive of the dynamics at play on the field and in the locker room.

We'll just agree to disagree moving forward. That will spare both of us a ton of nonsense.

GO BILLS!!!

nonsense, the players are 100% in his corner. from the players perspective, he got screwed over by the bills by playing on a one year deal.

I get what you're saying...But if this is truly the case don't you think these tag designations would be much bigger bargaining chips when the CBA is being negotiated?...I think agents absolutely despise the franchise tag...I think the evidence supports players, and the players union, not really caring much about it in the end...Because if it was such a big deal they would pull harder for it to be eliminated...Instead...Holdouts and hard feelings like we have now with Byrd are clearly the exception to the rule...Considering the fact that 29 players have been tagged in the past two offseasons...And of those 29 only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe have held out at all...Most players nowadays sign their tag early if they don't negotiate a fair long-term deal...

So...I'm not saying I know because I don't...But I question whether or not most players are squarely in Byrd's corner and siding with his line of thinking...Or...Are most players like Woody who are happy to take what seems to be very fair in order to stay with their teammates and a city that has backed them from the get-go... B-)

We've come full circle. Right back to the nonsense previously cited.

If you really think that it's just fine and dandy for his teammates that Byrd fakes an injury and dogs it on the field and that none of them will hold that against him because they are all united against big bad management that tried to screw one of their own, then what can I say? That just seems very naive of the dynamics at play on the field and in the locker room.

We'll just agree to disagree moving forward. That will spare both of us a ton of nonsense.

GO BILLS!!!

that behavior you abhor (faking injury) is just to easy to get away with. Tyrd will say his injury is real and I doubt any of his fellow players will question him or ask for proof. Tyrd says something just ain't right with his foot and his fellow players won't question it. of course he isn't going to flaunt the fact that if he had a long term contract, he would play through what ever was nagging him.

let's take a recent example for the Bills. last year, prior to the bye week, Mario Williams repeatedly and often complained/mentioned to the press about his wrist bothering him. Yet the bills never included him on their injury report. in fact they were saying it was all in his head. got to the point where the NFL started an investigation of the Bills and their reporting of injuries. Mario went and had a second opinion away from buffalo. had surgery during the bye week and started playing better immediately after.

during that whole episode , not one player called Mario out. even though the Bills, including his head coach, publicly suggested he wasn't really injured.

I get what you're saying...But if this is truly the case don't you think these tag designations would be much bigger bargaining chips when the CBA is being negotiated?...I think agents absolutely despise the franchise tag...I think the evidence supports players, and the players union, not really caring much about it in the end...Because if it was such a big deal they would pull harder for it to be eliminated...Instead...Holdouts and hard feelings like we have now with Byrd are clearly the exception to the rule...Considering the fact that 29 players have been tagged in the past two offseasons...And of those 29 only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe have held out at all...Most players nowadays sign their tag early if they don't negotiate a fair long-term deal...

So...I'm not saying I know because I don't...But I question whether or not most players are squarely in Byrd's corner and siding with his line of thinking...Or...Are most players like Woody who are happy to take what seems to be very fair in order to stay with their teammates and a city that has backed them from the get-go... B-)

oh, but it is a huge bargaining chip.

for the owners, it is a deal breaker. no way they give the Franchise tag up.

for the players, they put up with it because it almost always works out for the players advantage. but to protect themselves, for cases like Byrd they try to make it penal for a team to franchise the same player more than once. 2nd year 120% increase over previous year. 3rd year 144% increase over previous year OR the average of the top 5 highest paid QUARTERBACKS, which ever is more (which a team would never pay for a safety).

and Dwayne Bowe eventually signed with his original team KC.

Dwayne Bowe eventually signed with his original team KC.

I know...Not sure if that furthers the point of the lack of tagged holdouts or not...

Bowe signed for about $850K annually more than the 2013 franchise tag salary for WR's...

The rumors are that the Bills offered Byrd about $500K more annualy than the 2013 Safety tag amount...

I'm guessing if Byrd's agent came back with a counter of 5 years, $39 million, and somewhere around $20 mil guaranteed he would be signed already and all this would be moot...Maybe I'm wrong...But I think that's a very fair deal for both sides... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

nonsense, the players are 100% in his corner. from the players perspective, he got screwed over by the bills by playing on a one year deal. in private, they are encouraging him to NOT risk his career by playing through an injury. the only thing 90% of these guys care about is getting paid. ...

You may be right, in that Byrd (and the players) think he got "screwed", but I just don't see it. The Franchise Tag was not agreed upon once by the NFLPA, but within 2 NFLPA-sanctioned CBAs. It's part of the game. He's getting no more screwed than dropping a would-be interception during garbage time. Not only that, he's getting "screwed" 7 million times over the span of 8 months of "work". As for being denied long term security, Byrd made that decision, not the Bills.

You may be right, in that Byrd (and the players) think he got "screwed", but I just don't see it. The Franchise Tag was not agreed upon once by the NFLPA, but within 2 NFLPA-sanctioned CBAs. It's part of the game. He's getting no more screwed than dropping a would-be interception during garbage time. Not only that, he's getting "screwed" 7 million times over the span of 8 months of "work". As for being denied long term security, Byrd made that decision, not the Bills.

how the player feels screwed by the franchise tag:

#1- they are denied UFA (unrestricted Free Agency) which is what they covet most. the chance to pick and choose from the highest bidders and best franchises where ENDORSEMENT income potential is higher than buffalo. Byrd is probably saying, why didn't they tag Levitre and let me free.

#2- he didn't get the security of a long term deal and all the GUARANTEED money that comes with it. Byrd assumes a lot of risk on a one year deal in violent game with lots of injuries.

#3- because Byrd is a safety, his first year tag number is so low that he is a bargain, it's virtually certain he will be tagged a second time and have to go through it all over again in 2014, he is trapped. he has no way out.

#4- although the tag compensates handsomely, in Byrd's case of $6.9 mil, he still feels underpaid.

It still amazes me that the NFLPA would ever approve the tag. But then again, 99% of the NFL players would never be tagged anyway so maybe that's why it passed. But make no mistake, players that get tagged get royally !@#$ed over. And Byrd could very will get !@#$ed twice.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Players will hate it, but tagging them twice makes good business sense:

The average fan scratches his head in amazement when he hears a NFL player complain about a franchise tag, especially when they hear it's worth millions of dollars and guaranteed if the player signs the franchise tender.

Look at the contract averages of the highest-paid safeties in the league right now, and appreciate what a bargain safeties really are and why it's good business for the clubs and frustrating for the players.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17607706/players-will-hate-it-but-tagging-them-twice-makes-good-business-sense

If safeties are unhappy with their lot in life, they should become QBs, DEs, LTs, DTs, WRs, CBs, or LBs, instead.

Or do their best Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, or Polamalu impersonation.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9