Trade Byrd for Top CB?

CJPearl2

YES. But, I don't think you can get a top CB for a safety. It would be interesting to see who you could get though. Probably a teams #2 CB. Wonder if Lewis from the Steelers would be a decent trade. Not a bad idea, but if we can trade him for a 1st round draft pick, I'd rather do that. (more stuff to use to get Clowney).

Not sure this makes sense since replacing Gilmore is short-term and we really don't have a great replacement for Byrd. I don't like Byrd's attitude either, but I honestly don't care how much he pouts, he better produce this year or the contract he wants will never be his, regardless of what team he is on. The reality is that this team is rebuilding and has some good, young talent. It will not have a good record this year because there are too many teams in the AFC that have everything established already. At least we will all go into the season expecting the worse and won't be disappointed. #Tueltime at QB week 1? Sure, why not.

Trading for a corner, yes. Trading for a draft pick, no. This team is trying to win out of the gates. They've been playing the "look to the future" game for far too long.

Yes, but they are indeed looking to the future. I wish they could go to the playoffs this year, but it would be a major miracle.

Players always say they don't want to be somewhere when they get tagged.

Just about everybody I know says "I don't want to be at work today" now and then. Hell I say it every day.

Byrd will make more than enough money this year alone to set him up for life if he isn't stupid about it.

Quit whining you kitty and play the game. If you get a career ending injury this year you can blame your agent Eugene for making you believe that you need $20M guaranteed money.

We just let Levitre walk, and we let Marshawn go for nothing, we aren't going to trade our only proven healthy DB for somebody's average Joe.

Not sure this makes sense since replacing Gilmore is short-term and we really don't have a great replacement for Byrd. I don't like Byrd's attitude either, but I honestly don't care how much he pouts, he better produce this year or the contract he wants will never be his, regardless of what team he is on. The reality is that this team is rebuilding and has some good, young talent. It will not have a good record this year because there are too many teams in the AFC that have everything established already. At least we will all go into the season expecting the worse and won't be disappointed. #Tueltime at QB week 1? Sure, why not.

Yes, but they are indeed looking to the future. I wish they could go to the playoffs this year, but it would be a major miracle.

CB's are more important. I would take a quality CB over a quality S any day of the week. You can plug guys like Aaron Williams and McKelvin into Safety and they will be serviceable. Can't do the same with CB's.

Players always say they don't want to be somewhere when they get tagged.

Just about everybody I know says "I don't want to be at work today" now and then. Hell I say it every day.

Byrd will make more than enough money this year alone to set him up for life if he isn't stupid about it.

Quit whining you kitty and play the game. If you get a career ending injury this year you can blame your agent Eugene for making you believe that you need $20M guaranteed money.

We just let Levitre walk, and we let Marshawn go for nothing, we aren't going to trade our only proven healthy DB for somebody's average Joe.

Not really.

Out of the 29 players who have been tagged the last few years, Byrd is 1 of only 2 that didn't sign their tender until after TC.

That's not normal.

Not sure this makes sense... The reality is that this team is rebuilding and has some good, young talent. It will not have a good record this year because there are too many teams in the AFC that have everything established already.

I don't see any AFC team with everything established. Denver is an 8-8 team w/o Peyton. NE has nothing BUT a QB. Ravens lost so much this off-season they may not make the playoffs.

Texans & Bengals 'appear' to have solid foundations, but are far from having everything established, IMO. I think the Conference is wiiiiide open.

Trading for a corner, yes. Trading for a draft pick, no. This team is trying to win out of the gates. They've been playing the "look to the future" game for far too long.

I seriously doubt they are going to get a good corner for a safety. Trading for a couple high draft picks might be possible if a team thinks they are short just that one piece of the puzzle.

My current view from the outside is that the Bills are already in trouble this season in terms of making the playoffs. If the view from the inside is the same, then why not get rid of a disgruntled player who you only have for this season anyway. Try and cut your losses, or maximize your return, depending upon if you are a glass is half empty or full kind of person.

Now if they think Manuel is going to start week one and light it up, and Pettine has the D ready to kick ass and take names with or without Gilmore, then forget what I said above. But if not ...

Edited by CodeMonkey

The first way to look at this would be what teams are "rich" at CB and "poor" at safety. Would need to be even deeper in that no team is liklely to give up their top CB.

The net s that ther are very few teams who would meet the criteria. Additionally the Bills have to want to make the trade.

As I said in the other thread, how does Aaron Williams, Searcy and two rookies who have seen little game action sound to you? Aaron Williams as the veteran of that group?

Instead of attempting to patch a hole by creating another hole, how about you address the first hole so that safety doesn't become a concern also?

Maybe they will sign another CB later in cuts.

YES. But, I don't think you can get a top CB for a safety. It would be interesting to see who you could get though. Probably a teams #2 CB. Wonder if Lewis from the Steelers would be a decent trade. Not a bad idea, but if we can trade him for a 1st round draft pick, I'd rather do that. (more stuff to use to get Clowney).

Exactly...CB is a much higher valued position than safety...would get a much worse player at his position than Byrd is at his simply due to how valuable CB's are

I think in today's NFL safety is one of the most important positions. They need to be able to match up with Gronk and Jimmy Graham, or speedsters, call plays, and defend run. Every year a safety is drafted high, and most succesful teams have a badass safety. So I think Byrd's trade value is high. Only problem is every GM knows the Bills hand is forced, so they can lowball

Trying to win out of the gates? Hard to do in a passing league by starting an UDFA QB and probably another UDFA (Robey?) at CB against Tom Brady.

I think in today's NFL safety is one of the most important positions. They need to be able to match up with Gronk and Jimmy Graham, or speedsters, call plays, and defend run. Every year a safety is drafted high, and most succesful teams have a badass safety. So I think Byrd's trade value is high. Only problem is every GM knows the Bills hand is forced, so they can lowball

No if Bryds job has been matching up on Gronk his career has been a dismal failure.

The guy has a friggin career day every time the Bills play the pats.

But I think it's actually Wilson that has flailed in futility against the beast from williamsville east. Or was it north? Meh... Whatever.

Also DBs switch to safety after they can't hack it at corner. Never vice versa.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood