Bills WRs revisited.

I think Hogan makes it based on the fact that he has been playing with the 1s a lot of the time in preseason. He hasn't done anything to move him from that spot as well although hasn't played out of this world at WR either. He has played well on ST. My guess is: SJ/Woods//Graham/Hogan/Goodwin/Smith/Easley. They try to stash either Rogers or Kauffman on the practice squad but think Rogers get's picked up. Hogan is on the field in four WR sets with either Graham or Goodwin.

I don't get all the love for Rogers. Yes, I know he's strong & athletic and that some draft pundits (not all) thought he might have 1st or 2nd round talent. They thought that about Woods, too. The difference is that Woods was actually drafted in the 2nd round because he's a polished, talented WR with his head on straight. Rogers wasn't drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or any round because not a single team thought he was worthy of even a 7th round pick. Professional scouts, apparently, have no love for the guy.

I hope the Rogers lovers on this board turn out to be correct and the scouts wrong. But from what we've seen of Rogers so far in preseason (and what's been reported about Rogers performance in practices), he's on the bubble. And if he gets cut, he won't end up on the PS because some other team will sign him to kick the tires and see if there's anything there.

Roger's problems go way beyond his drug history. Here's what one predraft scouting report had to say about his weaknesses:

"Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/darick-rogers?id=2540179

We've already heard of similar things at St. John Fisher - like Rogers loafing back to the huddle instead of running like the other receivers. This doesn't sound like the kind of guy that Marrone wants on the team.

Right now the NFL WR that Dar'rick Rogers most resembles is Charles Rogers who also had tremendous potential but never accomplished anything as a pro because of issues with maturity and consistency of effort. "Potential" just isn't worth much without some other important attributes.

Ike Hilliard will have to do heroic work as receivers coach for Rogers to survive the Turk.

I don't get all the love for Rogers. Yes, I know he's strong & athletic and that some draft pundits (not all) thought he might have 1st or 2nd round talent. They thought that about Woods, too. The difference is that Woods was actually drafted in the 2nd round because he's a polished, talented WR with his head on straight. Rogers wasn't drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or any round because not a single team thought he was worthy of even a 7th round pick. Professional scouts, apparently, have no love for the guy.

I hope the Rogers lovers on this board turn out to be correct and the scouts wrong. But from what we've seen of Rogers so far in preseason (and what's been reported about Rogers performance in practices), he's on the bubble. And if he gets cut, he won't end up on the PS because some other team will sign him to kick the tires and see if there's anything there.

Roger's problems go way beyond his drug history. Here's what one predraft scouting report had to say about his weaknesses:

"Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/darick-rogers?id=2540179

We've already heard of similar things at St. John Fisher - like Rogers loafing back to the huddle instead of running like the other receivers. This doesn't sound like the kind of guy that Marrone wants on the team.

Right now the NFL WR that Dar'rick Rogers most resembles is Charles Rogers who also had tremendous potential but never accomplished anything as a pro because of issues with maturity and consistency of effort. "Potential" just isn't worth much without some other important attributes.

Ike Hilliard will have to do heroic work as receivers coach for Rogers to survive the Turk.

Ever watch him at Tennessee as a freshman/sophomore against soon to be probowl nfl corners? It'd answer a lot of your questions about what people see.

Edited by NoSaint

Somebody needs to make the case for why Hogan should be kept over the game-breaking potential of Easley and Rogers. If your answer is "possession receiver" the Bills already have that in Stevie, Woods, and Chandler. I just don't see it.

oh I caught you here eball, you ripped me and my post on SJ being average, then you call him a possession receiver, just letting you know.

"So limiting free speech is a "liberal" or "progressive" tactic?" - Isn't it?? Obama's a staunch liberal and he takes a big fat shitttt on the Constitution every chance he gets.

Typical right wing conservative ignorance. You get your information from sources that count on that ignorance. If you knew ANYTHING about Constitutional law, you would know that statement you just made is completely incorrect. Just because Rush and Sean say it, doesn't make it true.

But then again, I thought this was a football forum, so what do I know. :rolleyes:

I think its likely that Stevie will miss a handful of games this year, he's an injury prone dude. Coaches have to have a possession type guy to play that role when 13 is out or slumping or whatever.

I think Hogan has earned it, and can be that guy. Easley stays for sure, and i think they keep Rogers for the upside next season. Thats my 7.

Brad is gone.

"So limiting free speech is a "liberal" or "progressive" tactic?" - Isn't it?? Obama's a staunch liberal and he takes a big fat shitttt on the Constitution every chance he gets.

Oh god oh man oh god.

Typical right wing conservative ignorance. You get your information from sources that count on that ignorance. If you knew ANYTHING about Constitutional law, you would know that statement you just made is completely incorrect. Just because Rush and Sean say it, doesn't make it true.

But then again, I thought this was a football forum, so what do I know. :rolleyes:

Oh god oh man oh god.

I'd be SHOCKED if Kaufmann made it past waivers. SHOCKED.

Too much potential. Too much upside. Big, fast, sure-handed, redzone gold-mine.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like sooner or later Da'rick will pick up a DUI, or get caught with a gun, or swing on some guy in a strip joint. -All three could be a slow Tuesday for that kid.

I think a team like the Pats (in need of receivers) will jump all over Kaufmann if we put him on waivers. We might be kicking ourselves many months from now for letting him get away.

We'll only keep 6 and the only sure bets I see are Johnson, Woods, Goodwin and Easley (just shown too much). Kaufman will go to the practice squad bc we have height at the TE position and he'll likely pass waivers. Sampson will be cut which is too bad because he showed flashes. That leaves:

1) Brad Smith - I see him as a surprise cut since Tuel is looking so good we don't need the backup QB element nor do we need the wildcat option with this offense plus, even renegotiated, he's expensive. Even though he's a vet he couldn't take Johnson's spot if Johnson got hurt anyway. They have a lot of film on him and he just doesn't usually get very much seperation.

2) TJ Graham - likely the 6th reciever although he wasn't drafted by this regime and is very similar to Goodwin.

3) Hogan - I really like him as some guys just have immeasurables to get open and be useful players. It's trendy to look for that next Wes Walker and our offense is friendly to one.

4) Rogers - To me, he'll always have a thousand dollar body and a ten cent head on his shoulders. Has repeated many mistakes and I don't know if he puts enough effort into blocking. He has so many red flags I wouldn't worry if someone else picked him up. I think he needs a lot of development time and odds are he'll never mature quickly enough to make it.

So I think only two of these four stay and it depends largely on what Rogers is doing day-in day-out behind the scenes to see if he steals Graham's sport. I think he's showing the same deficits off the field as on the field and it will be Hogan and Graham rounding out the six. It is a fascinating decision though.

Buffalo Bills Roster Projections: Making the Case for Da’Rick Rogers: http://www.buffalobi...-darick-rogers/

I agree with most of this, I think the Bills made the choice already just by signing him and will stick with it at least a year or 2 because they invested. I think coach is hard on him and yes, he still needs to show. Can you imagine if they cut Eric Moulds?

EDIT: I should add if he effs up, in a drug induced way he is a goner.

Edited by bowery4

oh I caught you here eball, you ripped me and my post on SJ being average, then you call him a possession receiver, just letting you know.

Huh? Your logic escapes me. Do you think "possession receiver" is a negative? I certainly didn't imply that's all Stevie does, but it's a part of it.

Ever watch him at Tennessee as a freshman/sophomore against soon to be probowl nfl corners? It'd answer a lot of your questions about what people see.

I've seen his highlights. It's the 'lowlights' that concern me. Maybe I don't know how to evaluate college ball but even his highlights don't convince me he's better than some of the other receivers we have on the roster. Guys who loaf, guys who don't block, guys who don't run the right routes, aren't great by definition. A lot has to change for Rogers to become great.

I'm reallying hoping Hilliard, Hacket and Marrone can make those changes in Rogers and prove you right. I'm just not exactly expecting it.

I think Hogan makes it based on the fact that he has been playing with the 1s a lot of the time in preseason. He hasn't done anything to move him from that spot as well although hasn't played out of this world at WR either. He has played well on ST. My guess is: SJ/Woods//Graham/Hogan/Goodwin/Smith/Easley. They try to stash either Rogers or Kauffman on the practice squad but think Rogers get's picked up. Hogan is on the field in four WR sets with either Graham or Goodwin.

Agreed.

This debate is getting old. Ready for them to cut and be done with it. Off to a new thread...

Can I say due to our front office reshuffling instead of clearing house that TJ still does have ties to this staff, even if not marrone. Not a huge distinction but I've heard several post "since player x y or z has no ties" well, unless Whaley was influential in bringing them in, or a variety of scouts still here, or contract negotiation guys involved, or with a guy like Mario even Russ could have ties

Chris Brown just posted WR snap counts on special teams through the first two games

I posted in another thread that I think Bills keep 6 WRs and with top 4 of Stevie, Woods, Graham, and Goodwin locks leaving two spots which I think go to Easley and Hogan. The Bills seem to like Hogan considering the time he has seen with the starters and looks he gets on third downs

WR special teams snap counts thru 2 games

Name Snaps

Marcus Easley 24

Chris Hogan 16

Da’Rick Rogers 16

Marquise Goodwin 14

DeMarco Sampson 12

Robert Woods 10

Brad Smith (1 gm) 2

T.J. Graham (1 gm) 1

Brandon Kaufman 0

Edited by Max997

Chris Brown just posted WR snap counts on special teams through the first two games

I posted in another thread that I think Bills keep 6 WRs and with top 4 of Stevie, Woods, Graham, and Goodwin locks leaving two spots which I think go to Easley and Hogan. The Bills seem to like Hogan considering the time he has seen with the starters and looks he gets on third downs

WR special teams snap counts thru 2 games

Name Snaps

Marcus Easley 24

Chris Hogan 16

Da'Rick Rogers 16

Marquise Goodwin 14

DeMarco Sampson 12

Robert Woods 10

Brad Smith (1 gm) 2

T.J. Graham (1 gm) 1

Brandon Kaufman 0

This is a really interesting post. Interesting to see what happens in today's game. If this stays pretty much the pattern, it doesn't bode well for Kaufman as these lower down guys will have to excel on ST to make the roster. I'll keep an eye on Rogers today for sure. Thanks for posting.

Stevie-Woods-Goodwin-Graham-Smith-Easley, and if we keep 7 Hogan

I think the TE battle is very interesting too- especially if we keep 6 or 7 WRs.

Chandler is starter- then who makes it? I can't see us keeping more then 3 TEs. Lee Smith had been a good blocking TE. Gragg has big play ability. And it seems like the Bills like Dickerson, but don't know where to play him</p>

Evidentally, Marrone wasn't seeing the same thing. Or, probably more precisely, he was seeing too much of the bad stuff and not enough of the good stuff.

Edited by hondo in seattle